Thread poster: Ivan Videnov
Ivan Videnov
Ivan Videnov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:10
English to French
Jun 19, 2018

Hi All!

Sometimes, I get projects which include many measures and various units. I translate from English to French, and as per French typographical convention, the measure unit is separated from the number with a non-breaking space.
My problem is, when using the auto-propagation feature, all the non-breaking spaces disappear, except for the first occurrence.

e.g.:
First occurrence: 12 mm
Then it auto-propagates...
15mm
16mm
33mm...... See more
Hi All!

Sometimes, I get projects which include many measures and various units. I translate from English to French, and as per French typographical convention, the measure unit is separated from the number with a non-breaking space.
My problem is, when using the auto-propagation feature, all the non-breaking spaces disappear, except for the first occurrence.

e.g.:
First occurrence: 12 mm
Then it auto-propagates...
15mm
16mm
33mm...

Is there a way to configure the auto-p feature so it includes the non-breaking spaces?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Collapse

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Sure, there is a way Jun 19, 2018

Sure, there is a way to correct this Studio behaviour. Go to Options > Language Pairs, choose your specific language pair, let's say English (Canada) > French (Canada). Expand the Autosubstitution list, under Measurements, check 'Always insert a non-breaking space between the number and the unit'.

Please note that this change will affect only subsequent projects. For the current project, follow the same steps under Project Settings.

Let us know if it works.

[Mod
... See more
Sure, there is a way to correct this Studio behaviour. Go to Options > Language Pairs, choose your specific language pair, let's say English (Canada) > French (Canada). Expand the Autosubstitution list, under Measurements, check 'Always insert a non-breaking space between the number and the unit'.

Please note that this change will affect only subsequent projects. For the current project, follow the same steps under Project Settings.

Let us know if it works.

[Modifié le 2018-06-19 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Ivan Videnov
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 19, 2018

Blagodarya! I actually just looked at the settings, and I never noticed there is another "auto-propagation" option under "Language Pairs." I will make sure to try it next time.

Thanks again!

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Molya :) Jun 19, 2018

I admit the feature is pretty well hidden. But that is because you will not probably need it in every language pair, or at least for every target language.

Bonne chance !

Ivan Videnov
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
**Update** Jun 22, 2018

I had the opportunity to try the feature and it's working like a charm! Thanks again for your help, it will definitely save me a lot of time and headaches!

Ekaterina Kroumova
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Good to hear Jun 22, 2018

Good to hear!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2017: Non-breaking spaces and auto-propagation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »