Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 10:14
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
May 23, 2018

Hello, Studio Experts, I need your help please. I have just installed Studio 2017 and am finding problems with these different file names filling up my documents section and I am afraid 1) I won't be able to find other files/documents/translations I have, 2) if I delete the Studio material I will post, I will lose all the Terms I saved. I have created a new folder on the desktop for Studio so I do not know why this is happening and I think I have inserted this new folder for the Studio work. if ... See more
Hello, Studio Experts, I need your help please. I have just installed Studio 2017 and am finding problems with these different file names filling up my documents section and I am afraid 1) I won't be able to find other files/documents/translations I have, 2) if I delete the Studio material I will post, I will lose all the Terms I saved. I have created a new folder on the desktop for Studio so I do not know why this is happening and I think I have inserted this new folder for the Studio work. if I copy to this new folder, I'm afraid I will lose I am posting a screenshot. I hope someone can help me please. I don't want to lose all the work I have done and saved. Thanks.
2018-05-23 (1)

[Edited at 2018-05-23 18:55 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
default location May 23, 2018

When you install Studio, it creates several folders within a Studio folder, and you need all of them, including the files with same names (notice they have different extensions). One of the folders is called Projects, where it saves all the projects you create, along with their related files. MultiTerm also has its own folders within a folder. If you keep them all together like that, then it will be easy for you to find your files.

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 23, 2018

Thanks for your answer but they are getting mixed up with files I received and worked on, files that have nothing to do with translation etc. and I am afraid I will not be able to find all the latter files. I am still struggling along with Studio so bear with me please. Horribly confused but will eventually get there I assume

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Move them May 23, 2018

You can safely move your termbases to the location you created for them. They will disappear from your library but will still be accessible from Multiterm and Studio. You'll just have to open them from their new location and maybe redefine previous project templates that you have set up with their current location.

Just don't delete them before you copy them to another location.

You see those files because the Documents Library pulls all files from your standard Documen
... See more
You can safely move your termbases to the location you created for them. They will disappear from your library but will still be accessible from Multiterm and Studio. You'll just have to open them from their new location and maybe redefine previous project templates that you have set up with their current location.

Just don't delete them before you copy them to another location.

You see those files because the Documents Library pulls all files from your standard Documents folder, where Trados creates 2 folders that it uses as default locations for certain files. However, you don't have to use those locations.

You can read more about Libraries here:
https://lifehacker.com/5464350/get-to-know-windows-7-libraries-inside-and-out

Good luck,
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jaime May 23, 2018

Very good article thanks. The problem with leaving them there is that I won't find it easy to find the others then, I'll have to write a name or part of it which means I will have to remember the file's name. Will I still be able to fins everything in Studio if I move them or copy/paste them in another folder? by the way, it's really annoying having to move everything at the end of a day. thanks

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't understand, but I'll try to clarify May 23, 2018

...I won't find it easy to find the others then...

What others?

Just search your PC for "*.sdltb" and move everything to your new location. From then on, all your termbases will be in the new location.

...I'll have to write a name or part of it which means I will have to remember the file's name.

You will find them all in your new location. It is always a good idea to name your termbases consistently and include basic data like customer, languages, field, etc. However, if for some reason you misplaced a file, you can always search your PC for "*.sdltm" to find all termbases in your drives.

Will I still be able to fins everything in Studio if I move them or copy/paste them in another folder?

Yes, in the open dialogue, navigate to your new location to open/import/use your termbases.

...by the way, it's really annoying having to move everything at the end of a day.

You don't have to do this. When you use a termbase from your new location, it will be saved/updated there. When you create a new termbase, just remember to create it in your new location. There is a specific field for this in the create new termbase dialogue.

Hope this helps.

Josephine Cassar
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, thank you May 24, 2018

Invaluable recommendations and explanation. I'll try them out today-and probably come back for more. Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Under Documents

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »