Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
This sounds a bit fishy (cashier check or bank certified check proposed for payment)
Thread poster: Nick Brisland, BA (Hons)
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What you should do with the $6000 check Jul 15, 2018

sbenner wrote:

I fell for Julie Brawn's scam in that I gave her my address and phone number.

I had quoted her a price of $920, specifying I would do 1/4 of the 40-page job and expect payment before proceeding with the rest.

Today, I received a check cut by College Board for almost $6,000, insisting I accept payment and cash the check before doing any work. She was tracking receipt of the package with the check and texted me as soon as it arrived, insisting I needed to deposit it right away while she needed to get final approval for the project from her "sponsors" before she sent me the work. It was that last bit which was odd, since she had already sent me a 44 page document which was the basis of my bid. I then googled her and came to this thread.

Needless to say, I'm not cashing the check. I wrote her and let her know that she's been pegged as a scammer here and elsewhere. Hopefully that's the end of that for me. If not, I have the check and the correspondence, not the government will do much about it.

[Edited at 2018-06-15 13:16 GMT]

I see you were giving it a shot, just in case. It seems you were aware it was probably a scammer from the very start.

I don't think you should have ever gotten to the check actually being sent. You should always insist on contact information, then verify it. The phone number they give you, call it.

Anyway, I suspect you were just having some fun with the scammer to amuse yourself. Do something fun with the check. Maybe put a nice caption on it, frame it, and put it next to your computer.

Have a good one.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2018

[Edited at 2018-07-15 00:23 GMT]

doctor_suz
doctor_suz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
German to English
+ ...
I wonder whether Julie Brawn changed names... Aug 7, 2018

I came on this thread wondering about an offer I received...

"-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Jennifer Gray
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2585824
Author's IP address: 34.234.67.255
Message type: Other
-----------

How are you doing today? I need your service to translate a
document, I wou
... See more
I came on this thread wondering about an offer I received...

"-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Jennifer Gray
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/2585824
Author's IP address: 34.234.67.255
Message type: Other
-----------

How are you doing today? I need your service to translate a
document, I would like to know if you are interested and
available. I need this
document translated from English to German and the document
worth 11,686 words. Kindly get back to me."

Looking at the proz link, she registered in August 2018, no contact information given except the gmail address, unconfirmed SecurePro certificate.

Same thing, payment promised by certified check or similar.

The text is a piece of cake, so I am suspicious - a student could do it for a third of what I would charge. However, the lady is quite persistent, asking why I did not get back to her the past 2 days.

From someone totally innocent and ignorant in these matters - what is the point of the scam? What would they get from us if we cash their checks?

Take care, Susanne (aka doctor_suz)
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Classic overpayment scam Aug 7, 2018

doctor_suz wrote:
From someone totally innocent and ignorant in these matters - what is the point of the scam? What would they get from us if we cash their checks?

This has all the hallmarks of a classic overpayment scam:

You receive the cheque, for an amount higher than the agreed fee; because it is a "secure" bank cheque, and the sender is always putting the pressure on you to move quickly, you pay the cheque in to your bank, in all good faith. And the money appears to go through all right.

Suddenly, the sender realizes they've "made a mistake" — usually blaming it on someone else! They apologize profusely and ask if you'd mind please returning the excess payment to them (urgently of course!) via Western Union (or some other dodgy cash payment system) — often to a different name, and invariably in a suspicious country ike Côte d'Ivoire / Bénin / Nigeria, etc.

Being the kind, obliging, trusting person you are, you obediently draw the money out of your bank account and send it off to them. You will, of course, at this point hear nothing back from them.

Then, anything up to 2 months later, you are conatcted by your bank (or the police!) to tell you the cheque as a fake, and the money has been debited back from your account. But of course, you have already sent a large amount of your "real" money to the scammer! Worse, you might get into trouble with the police for passing off a fake cheque — since of course no trace can be found of the real culprit!

Astonishingly enough, in this day and age, there are still people gullible enough to fall for this sort of scam; sadly, often people whose native language may not be EN (so they don't necessarily pick up the between-the-lines clues in the letters) and who may not be familiar with foreign business practices; who may also be those most eager to get work and least able to afford to take this loss. It's a cruel, callous scam!

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Jennifer Gray Aug 7, 2018

from Dirty Dancing?

How very symbolic... At least not Mel Gibson or Nicole Kidman. Pay attention

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
So obviously a scam, a classic Aug 7, 2018

Don't even bother replying or even doing any searches. Trash it straight away and go grab a beer!

Kathleen Kownacki

doctor_suz
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jennifer Gray, and written formal contracts Aug 7, 2018

Actually, there is another Jennifer Gray with proz membership, and she seems to be very respectable. How do I contact the proz about my doubts about the "new/second" Jennifer Gray?

Thank you very much (Tony M, of France) for your comment. In the meantime, I also found the comment of Thomas Frost of May 27, who said pretty much the same thing.

My days in US business law education may be dated (around 2000), but as far as I know, a check is a written formal contract in th
... See more
Actually, there is another Jennifer Gray with proz membership, and she seems to be very respectable. How do I contact the proz about my doubts about the "new/second" Jennifer Gray?

Thank you very much (Tony M, of France) for your comment. In the meantime, I also found the comment of Thomas Frost of May 27, who said pretty much the same thing.

My days in US business law education may be dated (around 2000), but as far as I know, a check is a written formal contract in the States, and the cops will come after the person that does not pay on this contract. A bad check is when the payer does not have enough money, any certified check basically means to guarantee that the payer actually has the money in the account.

I cannot imagine any of this has changed, has it?

Thank you for your help, and please do not forget that there seems to be another scam going around, Susanne
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
@Doctor Suz Aug 7, 2018

These scams have been around for years. Internet just makes them spread more quickly.
Certified cheques can be falsified really well, so they are not secure. Even bank transfers can appear and then disappear.
In accounting terms, when you receive a cheque, it usually has to match the amount of an invoice. Since when have translators been acting as "cash-back" counters? These scams have always been obvious, and still are, and are not worth the time of day. Even replying is a waste o
... See more
These scams have been around for years. Internet just makes them spread more quickly.
Certified cheques can be falsified really well, so they are not secure. Even bank transfers can appear and then disappear.
In accounting terms, when you receive a cheque, it usually has to match the amount of an invoice. Since when have translators been acting as "cash-back" counters? These scams have always been obvious, and still are, and are not worth the time of day. Even replying is a waste of time. The only thing worth doing, is informing people about how they work and not to trust them at all. The virus spreads faster than the antidote, the best one being knowledge and zero reply.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

doctor_suz
United States
German to English
+ ...
Thank you Nikki... Aug 8, 2018

...this was helpful, especially the "cash-back" part.

I still have my doubts if this would fly in the States - will discuss is with my bank.

Thanks again, Susanne

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:09
German to English
Happens in the US Aug 8, 2018

doctor_suz wrote:

I still have my doubts if this would fly in the States - will discuss is with my bank.

Scams like this are frequently attempted on people trying to sell items on eBay and CraigsList. A friend was trying to sell equestrian equipment and 2 different scammers sent fraudulent payment: one was a "cashier's check", the other a forged money order, both issued in excess of the selling price.

Tatjana Kovačec
Tatjana Kovačec  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
German to Croatian
+ ...
scammers? Message received from TM-Town Sep 19, 2018

You received a message through TM-Town’s messaging system.
Sender Name: maria
Sender Email: [email protected]
Language Pair: English to Danish
Field(s): 3d printing
Client Budget Range: Intermediate ($0.09/word - $0.15/word)
I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Croatian . I would like to know if
... See more
You received a message through TM-Town’s messaging system.
Sender Name: maria
Sender Email: [email protected]
Language Pair: English to Danish
Field(s): 3d printing
Client Budget Range: Intermediate ($0.09/word - $0.15/word)
I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document with 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated to Croatian . I would like to know if you are interested please get back to me Via [email protected]

Hello
I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project.However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 09/24/2018.
Finally, what would be your preferred mode of payment? Though I'm proposing a certified bank draft, a cashier check or bank certified check. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards

Hello, Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you but the payment can only made buy CHECK and is withing the US only or i dont know if you have any partner or relative around the state to receive the payment for you. In the mean time, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap.

Best Regards

My answer was: I don't accept checks
Collapse

kokoma3
Marina Gregna

Jennifer McNeel
Jennifer McNeel
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
New suspected scam, same wording as above Jan 28, 2020

Now from [email protected]
"Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 15th of February 2020.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashie
... See more
Now from [email protected]
"Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 15th of February 2020.Finally, I'm proposing a Cashier Check,You will received the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK.

I look forward to reading from you soon"

I tried to determine if this person is actually based in Switzerland and got this answer:
"Are you not from United States ? I only work with translators in united states and Canada , If you have any relative in united states who is going to received the payment for you,Kindly get back to me."
Verdict: dodgy.
Collapse

John Fossey
Liviu-Lee Roth

Anelisa Bailey
Anelisa Bailey  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Yet another red flag example to look out for Feb 27, 2020

"The document to be translated into English is attached to this email. he document is worth 12,724 words / 48 pages. Could you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation. My budget per word rate is $0.16 subject to your price quote. The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from March 2, 2020. Kindly get back to as soon as possible to discuss further on this project.

What would be your preferred mode of payment because I'm proposing certifie
... See more
"The document to be translated into English is attached to this email. he document is worth 12,724 words / 48 pages. Could you confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation. My budget per word rate is $0.16 subject to your price quote. The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from March 2, 2020. Kindly get back to as soon as possible to discuss further on this project.

What would be your preferred mode of payment because I'm proposing certified bank draft, cashier's check or bank certified check ? Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible."

All this after cold-emailing from a Gmail, no contact info given except a first and last name, no other questions for me. She sent me a word document and when I googled the contents it's an article that's easily found online.

I was still polite with her, told her I can't help her with the job and suggested that she go through an agency or a third-party website so that she can use secure forms of payment for such a high volume.

Everybody stay safe out there!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

walter reid
walter reid  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME. Oct 24, 2020

Email I received:
Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 24 of october 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?
... See more
Email I received:
Thanks so much for your swift response ..I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 24 of october 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

Sender: Linda Parker.
Collapse

Thomas Walls
Thomas Walls
United States
German to English
+ ...
Received a translation job offer with identical wording Nov 9, 2020

I got the same thing from a protonmail address for a DE->EN translation (11150 words). I responded saying I was available, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your swift response. I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month st
... See more
I got the same thing from a protonmail address for a DE->EN translation (11150 words). I responded saying I was available, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your swift response. I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 7th of November 2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document OK?

I look forward to reading from you soon,

----

I asked for more details about the company, then got this:

----

Thanks so much for your response,...this is individual project,more so I am freelance researcher I do search for my sponsor and handle the project,I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again Payment option is Cashier Check , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

I will always count on you,

Regards.
Collapse

(Sharon) Yibing Ni

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This sounds a bit fishy (cashier check or bank certified check proposed for payment)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »