Thread poster: Enrique Manzo
..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 19:18
Taglines Nov 24, 2017

inesec wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:

Texte Style wrote:
Then I scrolled down to click on Save, came back and found nothing had changed.

Hi Texte Style,

Sorry to hear you had trouble saving your taglines. The new taglines are saved by pressing enter on your keyboard after typing in your tagline (not by the button at the bottom of the page). The interface has been updated to make this more explicit.

I typed in three new taglines and saved them by pressing "Enter" without "Save" and nothing changed:( Seems some bug is present.

[Edited at 2017-11-24 06:30 GMT]

Hi inesec,

I checked your account and you have 4 new taglines entered recently (German, Italian, Latvian and Russian) along with an English tagline that was entered previously (and recently updated). You can view them here.

Please note that your profile will only show one tagline (based on the language the visitor is viewing the page in).

If you still have trouble please let me know or submit a support request and I can help you in more detail.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:18
German to English
+ ...
Thank you very much. Have a wonderful weekend Nov 24, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:

inesec wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:

Texte Style wrote:
Then I scrolled down to click on Save, came back and found nothing had changed.

Hi Texte Style,

Sorry to hear you had trouble saving your taglines. The new taglines are saved by pressing enter on your keyboard after typing in your tagline (not by the button at the bottom of the page). The interface has been updated to make this more explicit.

I typed in three new taglines and saved them by pressing "Enter" without "Save" and nothing changed:( Seems some bug is present.

[Edited at 2017-11-24 06:30 GMT]

Hi inesec,

I checked your account and you have 4 new taglines entered recently (German, Italian, Latvian and Russian) along with an English tagline that was entered previously (and recently updated). You can view them here.

Please note that your profile will only show one tagline (based on the language the visitor is viewing the page in).

If you still have trouble please let me know or submit a support request and I can help you in more detail.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Search quality Nov 24, 2017

I just tried to search for "IT".

The first results were:

Translator, Subtitler, Editor
(same profile appearing three times)
Traduzione, Revisione, Sottotitolazione
Translation, Proofreading, Subtitling
(another profile appearing twice)
Traduzioni di qualità. 100% efficienza!
Quality is my responsibility

Nothing about IT.

If I searc
... See more
I just tried to search for "IT".

The first results were:

(same profile appearing three times)
Traduzione, Revisione, Sottotitolazione
Translation, Proofreading, Subtitling
(another profile appearing twice)
Traduzioni di qualità. 100% efficienza!
Quality is my responsibility

Nothing about IT.

If I search for "organisation", it finds "organisation", but not "organization".

I wonder if you shouldn't try to outsource the search function to a search engine, which would be more capable of producing intelligent results. A 100 per cent literal search doesn't really cut the mustard in 2017. That's how search engines were 20 years ago.

Something else: why do you delete the search term after search? If one wants to refine it, it would be nice not having to type it all again.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Country shown Nov 24, 2017

I noticed that you are displaying the country of residence in the tagline search results even if the user's profile is configured not to show it. Why?

The language in my country of residence is not one of my working languages, and my working hours don't correspond to the country's standard working hours, which is why I have chosen not to display the country.

It's not a secret, but by implication it is giving misleading information to the reader.

Suresh Bomble
Suresh Bomble
India
Local time: 15:48
Member (2019)
English to Marathi
+ ...
External Link opening in same window Nov 24, 2017

This is regarding Henry's comment above.

Hi Henry, I am new to this site and was just browsing through the discussion forum. I found this topic interesting and was going through it. I also visited the external link that you have shared above, which is really useful. However, just noticed a technical glitch (if i may call it so). When I clicked on that link, it opened in the same window (that means it takes user away from Proz.com). I think it would be better if the link opens in new
... See more
This is regarding Henry's comment above.

Hi Henry, I am new to this site and was just browsing through the discussion forum. I found this topic interesting and was going through it. I also visited the external link that you have shared above, which is really useful. However, just noticed a technical glitch (if i may call it so). When I clicked on that link, it opened in the same window (that means it takes user away from Proz.com). I think it would be better if the link opens in new window/new tab, so that the user doesn't leave this site unintentionally. Mentioning this since I believe you are Site Founder.

Regards,
Suresh
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:18
English to Italian
more chars possible? Nov 24, 2017

even twitter originally restricted to 140 characters, doubled recently to 280 characters ...

40 chars are a big limit if you have more qualifications to show

for example my preferred tagline:
DVM MITI EN to IT 17+ yrs in medical translation

is impossible to squeeze into, keeping it stylish and understandable at the same time

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
External links Nov 24, 2017

Suresh B. wrote:

When I clicked on that link, it opened in the same window (that means it takes user away from Proz.com). I think it would be better if the link opens in new window/new tab, so that the user doesn't leave this site unintentionally.

It is unbelievably common for webmasters to let external links open in the same window instead of using target="_blank", which you can also use in Proz forums if you type the complete A HREF tag, but the majority of translators wouldn't know the syntax. I also don't understand why Proz don't automatically include target="_blank", but now you've mentioned it, maybe they'll dig up the target="_blank" syntax.

I simply presume, when clicking on links, that the webmaster hasn't thought about this, because at least 95 per cent of them don't, and always use right-click to open links if I want to stay on the first site too. I sometimes wonder if my own websites are the only ones not to send the readers away when they click on external links.

Kalinka Hristova
Kalinka Hristova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:18
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

It doesn't work for me Nov 25, 2017

There seems to be a bug (in my profile?) and the text field and the list of languages do not appear...

Capture

[Edited at 2017-11-25 19:30 GMT]

Suresh Bomble
Suresh Bomble
India
Local time: 15:48
Member (2019)
English to Marathi
+ ...
External Links Nov 25, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I simply presume, when clicking on links, that the webmaster hasn't thought about this, because at least 95 per cent of them don't, and always use right-click to open links if I want to stay on the first site too. I sometimes wonder if my own websites are the only ones not to send the readers away when they click on external links.

I think generally they take care to see that external links open in new window.

Anyways, this is a diversion from the main topic.

Returning to main topic, it might really help if the tagline character limit is increased by few more characters.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The humble but important profile tagline

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »