Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kevin Sep 20, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:
The ProZ.com Blue Board has been modernized.

1. The default sorting order for the list called "Average LWA based on outsourcer country" is "% of entries", but that is unclear. I had thought that the default sort order would be "Average LWA". If I hadn't selected to view 100 instead of 10 entries, I would not have discovered my mistake.

I suggest making the default sorting order "Country of Outsourcer". Then it would be clear to anyone looking at the first 10 entries that the current view is alphabetical.

2. When I view the non-logged in version, I see several mentions of "ProZ.com Member Only" but I don't think it would be clear to a visitor that these words are supposed to mean "Normally, there is other text here where you see 'ProZ.com Member Only', but only paid members of ProZ.com can see the information which is replaced by the words 'ProZ.com Member Only' here".

3. When I read "Click here to show all historical entries (9)" I thought that there would be 9 additional entries, but in the test case, there was only 1 additional entry (8 was from the past 5 years). I had thought that "historical entries" meant "entries older than 5 years".

4. It's a pity you chose to use round avatars. Now many people's heads are half cut off. Perhaps you should add a feature in the profile pages where members can select which part of their profile photo they want to be displayed as the avatar.

• View edit history of a comment (ProZ.com members only).

How?

• Comment search (ProZ.com members only).
• View/search all prior job postings of an outsourcer (ProZ.com members only).
• View/search WWAs made by an outsourcer (ProZ.com members only).

Well................. you can filter the display list for the current entry. You can't search the actual job postings (most job postings are removed after a while anyway). But still: nicely done.

==

Added:

The recent entry roll doesn't click through to the agency's BB entry (you can click on the submitter's icon to see their profile page, but you have to manually search the BB for the agency itself). Is that intentional?

[Edited at 2017-09-20 08:46 GMT]

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:59
Russian to English
Slightly annoying Sep 20, 2017

Axelle H. wrote:
That is good! It will save me a lot of time than with the oldest version ! Thanks !

Actually, with the old version you could use the page source to set up a voice recognition command allowing you to automatically open the next agency in the list (and its website). However, as the page source for the new version a) shows unfiltered, unsorted results, and b) doesn't show links, this appears to be no longer possible. I suspect I might have been in a small minority in doing this though.

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 11:59
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Sep 20, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:
The ProZ.com Blue Board has been modernized.

1. The default sorting order for the list called "Average LWA based on outsourcer country" is "% of entries", but that is unclear. I had thought that the default sort order would be "Average LWA". If I hadn't selected to view 100 instead of 10 entries, I would not have discovered my mistake.

I suggest making the default sorting order "Country of Outsourcer". Then it would be clear to anyone looking at the first 10 entries that the current view is alphabetical.

2. When I view the non-logged in version, I see several mentions of "ProZ.com Member Only" but I don't think it would be clear to a visitor that these words are supposed to mean "Normally, there is other text here where you see 'ProZ.com Member Only', but only paid members of ProZ.com can see the information which is replaced by the words 'ProZ.com Member Only' here".

3. When I read "Click here to show all historical entries (9)" I thought that there would be 9 additional entries, but in the test case, there was only 1 additional entry (8 was from the past 5 years). I had thought that "historical entries" meant "entries older than 5 years".

4. It's a pity you chose to use round avatars. Now many people's heads are half cut off. Perhaps you should add a feature in the profile pages where members can select which part of their profile photo they want to be displayed as the avatar.

• View edit history of a comment (ProZ.com members only).

How?

• Comment search (ProZ.com members only).
• View/search all prior job postings of an outsourcer (ProZ.com members only).
• View/search WWAs made by an outsourcer (ProZ.com members only).

Well................. you can filter the display list for the current entry. You can't search the actual job postings (most job postings are removed after a while anyway). But still: nicely done.

==

Added:

The recent entry roll doesn't click through to the agency's BB entry (you can click on the submitter's icon to see their profile page, but you have to manually search the BB for the agency itself). Is that intentional?

[Edited at 2017-09-20 08:46 GMT]

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the feedback.

1.) I experimented with other default sort orders, however the top 10 are not very interesting for the other sort orders. If sorted alphabetically, most of the initial 'A' countries do not have many entries. Likewise, sorted by Avg. LWA, most of the 5's only have a handful of entries.

2.) Thanks, I updated the wording.

3.) Thanks, I fixed the wording.

4.) The team is working on adding a crop tool to the profile uploader and the ability to add a secondary profile image with a square aspect ratio. This should be available soon.

5.) If an entry has been edited you will see the text "(view edit history)" underneath the comment. Click this to view any previous comments and LWA scores.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-20-at-6.41.51-PM

6.) Thanks, I updated the Recent Entries roll to make the agency name a link to their Blue Board record.

Kevin

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:59
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Sep 27, 2017

I like the new Blue Board a lot more. Thanks for the update!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:59
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I (kind of) like the new Blue Board, but I find it slower Sep 27, 2017

I kind of like the new Blue Board, but I find it definitely slower than before when performing any search operation, such as searching for a specific translation company by name.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Blue Board Update Sep 28, 2017

I think that a mechanism should be incopoorated into the system whereby an outsourcer with a poor score can redeem themselves at least in part.

Of course, they could only do so by paying all outstanding invoices. (While we would never erase the history, there should be a way to clearly show that the outsourcer took the time to ensure that all payments have been made).

Otherwise, once an outsourcer has defaulted, there is no incentive or motivation for them to rectify th
... See more
I think that a mechanism should be incopoorated into the system whereby an outsourcer with a poor score can redeem themselves at least in part.

Of course, they could only do so by paying all outstanding invoices. (While we would never erase the history, there should be a way to clearly show that the outsourcer took the time to ensure that all payments have been made).

Otherwise, once an outsourcer has defaulted, there is no incentive or motivation for them to rectify the situation.

[Edited at 2017-09-28 12:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
Design is terrific Sep 28, 2017

Heya Kevin and the rest of the Proz team. I think the new design is terrific, very well organized and it offers an abundance of valuable info for paid members regarding any particular outsourcer. I'm really happy to see how Proz.com is refreshing its look because it's been long overdue.

Sad to hear about browniz points, they were quite instrumental when I needed to take a quick look at the Blueboard score, but I guess
... See more
Heya Kevin and the rest of the Proz team. I think the new design is terrific, very well organized and it offers an abundance of valuable info for paid members regarding any particular outsourcer. I'm really happy to see how Proz.com is refreshing its look because it's been long overdue.

Sad to hear about browniz points, they were quite instrumental when I needed to take a quick look at the Blueboard score, but I guess it'll be better for your business model and will drive more membership sales.

Personally, I wish Blueboard was more transparent and free because it has a tremendous value to the translation community worldwide and helps translators avoid working with not very reliable client.
Collapse

..... (X)
..... (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Search Sep 29, 2017

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I kind of like the new Blue Board, but I find it definitely slower than before when performing any search operation, such as searching for a specific translation company by name.

Hi Riccardo,

The search and filtering of companies on the Blue Board index page is done in your browser (no data is sent to or from ProZ.com servers after the page loads). As you type into the search box the list of outsourcers should filter relatively instantaneously (see .gif below). If this is not the case, please open a support request and I will look into it. Please include details on: a) the browser you are using b) how many tabs/applications you had open when the issue occurred c) your computer specs (processor speed/memory).

searching

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thank you, Dmitry Oct 3, 2017

Dmitry Kornyukhov wrote:

Sad to hear about browniz points, they were quite instrumental when I needed to take a quick look at the Blueboard score, but I guess it'll be better for your business model and will drive more membership sales.

Personally, I wish Blueboard was more transparent and free because it has a tremendous value to the translation community worldwide and helps translators avoid working with not very reliable client.

Thanks, Dmitry. Please consider membership! Yes, it is the business model, but the Blue Board is also intentionally structured so that even non-members can get some clue as to whether they should scrutinize an outsourcer further before entering into a working relationship. Also, although it is not "official" policy, we are aware that ProZ.com members who have referenced the Blue Board will sometimes share information with others in other lists and communities, and we have not objected to this. Perhaps this also happens in your excellent Open Mic service (theopenmic.co for those who do not know.)

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Speed improved Oct 3, 2017

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Riccardo. We were able to make some significant speed improvements (not necessarily in search, but overall). Please check again, it should be quite snappy now.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kevin Oct 3, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:
The search and filtering of companies on the Blue Board index page is done in your browser (no data is sent to or from ProZ.com servers after the page loads).

Are you saying the entire Blue Board loads each time I visit it?

..... (X)
..... (X)
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Oct 4, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Kevin Dias wrote:
The search and filtering of companies on the Blue Board index page is done in your browser (no data is sent to or from ProZ.com servers after the page loads).

Hi Samuel,

The information relevant to searching/filtering (i.e. company name, country, avg. LWA, number of entries, etc.) is loaded.

Kevin

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kevin Oct 4, 2017

Kevin Dias wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Kevin Dias wrote:

The information relevant to searching/filtering (i.e. company name, country, avg. LWA, number of entries, etc.) is loaded.

Yes, I now see (when I use "view source" in the browser) that the latest entry dates, BB entry links, country names and BB scores for all 22 000 entries are loaded whenever I visit the Blue Board. Every visit to the Blue Board eats up 10 MB of data (-: Is there a low-bandwidth version for tablet/phone users?

The old Blue Board also showed the entry creation date, but this information is no longer displayed (not even in the actual BB entry). Why is that?

It is, however, now possible to view the dates of the most recent ratings, here (also all 22 000 entries at once).

[Edited at 2017-10-04 12:40 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Is it possible... Oct 4, 2017

to select just one single country to view all the agencies listed under that country? I've looked, but if there is a way of doing this, I haven't found it...

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Country name Oct 4, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

to select just one single country to view all the agencies listed under that country? I've looked, but if there is a way of doing this, I haven't found it...

Use the country name as filter. Furthermore, you can add other keywords after that to refine the search further (e.g. BB name or ProZ profile name).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site modernization: Blue Board

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »