Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
ProZ.com Pools™: Subtitling just added. What niche next?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not quite... Aug 10, 2017

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, Henry... I'm aware of the fact you never allowed unilateral negative feedback in all these years... I was here too! - well for some of the time! I'm not being sarcastic, for once...

Hee hee! In my mind you have been here all 18 years. Not sure if that is accurate but I do regard you as one of the earliest and longest-term members of the community. Thank you very much for that!

Well, it was nearly the beginnings... but not quite... I was visiting before I became a member, though... nice talking to you... seems ages since we met in Oxford...

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Local time: 09:37
SITE STAFF
Next niches, medical Aug 10, 2017

(For my part, I would be interested in a medical translation pool).

OK. Mike (Donlin) is reading this thread and will no doubt take note of that. Thank you!

Yes, I am watching the thread and taking note of your medical translation suggestion. Please keep those coming in.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:37
Italian to English
Thank you! Aug 10, 2017

Mike Donlin wrote:

I am watching the thread and taking note of your medical translation suggestion.

Thanks Mike!

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 14:37
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
No more areas please Aug 11, 2017

Please Henry, since the subtitling site is still not working properly, do not add more. Subtitling pool site should be up and running properly before adding other areas. I still cannot choose from among the language pairs fielded there. Good day!

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Troubleshooting for the subtitling pool Aug 11, 2017

UPDATED: We have found the issue and made the adjustment to the issue involving adding language pairs that some were experiencing. Thank you to all who reported it and your patience.

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Please Henry, since the subtitling site is still not working properly, do not add more. Subtitling pool site should be up and running properly before adding other areas. I still cannot choose from among the language pairs fielded there. Good day!

Hi Josephine,

Our team is working on the reported bug with language pairs for the subtitler pool. In the meantime, I will send you a private message about adding yours manually so that we can get your information in.

Mike

Josephine Bacon
Josephine Bacon
Local time: 13:37
French to English
+ ...
Get your priorities right Aug 24, 2017

More important is to weed out the companies/individuals who join ProZ or who do not join but advertise on it and who are actually scammers. I have nearly been fooled twice when operating as an agency (I am one of the earliest members who is a translator/interpreter and also run an agency with a partner) when I advertised for a translator and got someone who does not know the language at all but who was pretending to be a translator. One was in Australia and was easy to spot the other was someone... See more
More important is to weed out the companies/individuals who join ProZ or who do not join but advertise on it and who are actually scammers. I have nearly been fooled twice when operating as an agency (I am one of the earliest members who is a translator/interpreter and also run an agency with a partner) when I advertised for a translator and got someone who does not know the language at all but who was pretending to be a translator. One was in Australia and was easy to spot the other was someone who had already been banned once from ProZ and was operating under a different name. ProZ should not be open to anyone advertising a job who is not a paid up member whose bona fides have been checked.Collapse

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Pools and more Aug 24, 2017

Josephine Bacon wrote:

More important is to weed out the companies/individuals who join ProZ or who do not join but advertise on it and who are actually scammers. I have nearly been fooled twice when operating as an agency (I am one of the earliest members who is a translator/interpreter and also run an agency with a partner) when I advertised for a translator and got someone who does not know the language at all but who was pretending to be a translator. One was in Australia and was easy to spot the other was someone who had already been banned once from ProZ and was operating under a different name. ProZ should not be open to anyone advertising a job who is not a paid up member whose bona fides have been checked.

Hi Josephine,

We continue to develop features around your concern as well.

For this feature, screening is ongoing, so those scammers should be weeded out from pools.

Mike, ProZ.com

Luna Jungblut
Luna Jungblut  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Literary Translation pool Aug 26, 2017

Hi all,

For my part, I would consider joining a Literary Translation pool - bearing in mind all the comments above about the imbalances between newcomers, successful translators that are very active on ProZ and the not-so-active on ProZ but very successful translators.
As someone mentioned earlier in this very interesting thread, our job is subjective and there will always be people who accept lower rates, some who don't mind working on week-ends, some who will receive pre-gen
... See more
Hi all,

For my part, I would consider joining a Literary Translation pool - bearing in mind all the comments above about the imbalances between newcomers, successful translators that are very active on ProZ and the not-so-active on ProZ but very successful translators.
As someone mentioned earlier in this very interesting thread, our job is subjective and there will always be people who accept lower rates, some who don't mind working on week-ends, some who will receive pre-generated positive feedback for a shoddy job and some who do outstanding work and that don't get recognised for it. And there are clients out there, responding to a market demand, whether you like it or not.
We are our own bosses, meaning we all have our own set of rules.
And while the above could be seen as right or wrong according to one's ethics, what of the differences in rates for language combinations like English-Polish or Chinese-English compared to English-German? Are these fair? I find perfectly normal that the translators out there working in generally lower-paid pairs ought to have different modus operandi.

It would be difficult for a website like ProZ to account for all of these differences. Too many variables.

I am quite fond of ProZ - although I consider myself still very much a newby - and I reckon that if the pools help some clients find translators because we are categorised in a clearer fashion, then I'm all for it. It is up to the client to then check up on our previous work and references... Especially as I am suggesting a Literary Transation pool... What could be more subjective than this?

On this note, I wish everybody lots of success,
Luna
Collapse

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Literary Translation pool Sep 1, 2017

Luna Jungblut wrote:

Hi all,

As someone mentioned earlier in this very interesting thread, our job is subjective and there will always be people who accept lower rates, some who don't mind working on week-ends, some who will receive pre-generated positive feedback for a shoddy job and some who do outstanding work and that don't get recognised for it. And there are clients out there, responding to a market demand, whether you like it or not.
We are our own bosses, meaning we all have our own set of rules.
And while the above could be seen as right or wrong according to one's ethics, what of the differences in rates for language combinations like English-Polish or Chinese-English compared to English-German? Are these fair? I find perfectly normal that the translators out there working in generally lower-paid pairs ought to have different modus operandi.

It would be difficult for a website like ProZ to account for all of these differences. Too many variables.

I am quite fond of ProZ - although I consider myself still very much a newby - and I reckon that if the pools help some clients find translators because we are categorised in a clearer fashion, then I'm all for it. It is up to the client to then check up on our previous work and references... Especially as I am suggesting a Literary Transation pool... What could be more subjective than this?

On this note, I wish everybody lots of success,
Luna

Hi Luna,

We have added literary translation to our list. Some have called it book translators. Would you consider it the same?

Thank you for taking the time to write this post.

Mike

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Game localization pool available Sep 1, 2017

We have launched a third pool - game localization.

For those involved with game localization, we welcome your application. Thank you to those that have already applied. We have made some adjustments based on your feedback and anticipate more to come.

http://www.proz.com/pools/game-localizers

We will add more Pools™ and look forward to your continued sug
... See more
We have launched a third pool - game localization.

For those involved with game localization, we welcome your application. Thank you to those that have already applied. We have made some adjustments based on your feedback and anticipate more to come.

http://www.proz.com/pools/game-localizers

We will add more Pools™ and look forward to your continued suggestions.

Also, we are adding more interpreters and subtitlers to those pools where we have screened over 1,000 talented profiles, so please apply there if those are your specialties as well.

Mike
Collapse

Luna Jungblut
Luna Jungblut  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Literary translation Sep 8, 2017

Mike Donlin wrote:
Hi Luna,

We have added literary translation to our list. Some have called it book translators. Would you consider it the same?

Thank you! I would keep 'literary translation', this way it can include poetry translation.

All best,
Luna

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Literary translation, project management, pharmaceutical? Sep 13, 2017

We are working to add three more pools in literary translation, project managers and pharmaceutical translators.

Are there project managers and pharmaceutical translators interested in providing early feedback as those pools are developed?

Mike

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:37
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
What about software localization? Sep 14, 2017

Due to the particular abilities it requires and the special software tools needed for it, I think it would be a good choice for an additional pool.

Saludos

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Software localization, thanks Sep 14, 2017

Jorge Payan wrote:

Due to the particular abilities it requires and the special software tools needed for it, I think it would be a good choice for an additional pool.

Saludos

Thanks for the suggestion Jorge. That is one we are thinking about for the next round of pools. If you have the time, I may reach out for feedback as we set that one up.

Mike

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Pools™: Subtitling just added. What niche next?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »