Plus features: Announcing "ProZ Talks"!
Thread poster: Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2016

Note: This announcement is part of the ongoing rollout of Plus package features.

From training sessions, to virtual events, to in-person international conferences, workshops, powwows, and more: ProZ.com has long offered a variety of events both online and offline to help its members network, learn, grow their businesses, and have fun. I'm happy to announce that, as part of the new suite of services
... See more
Note: This announcement is part of the ongoing rollout of Plus package features.

From training sessions, to virtual events, to in-person international conferences, workshops, powwows, and more: ProZ.com has long offered a variety of events both online and offline to help its members network, learn, grow their businesses, and have fun. I'm happy to announce that, as part of the new suite of services included in the Plus service package for members, ProZ.com will now be adding a new type of event to this list: ProZ Talks.

What are ProZ Talks?
ProZ Talks are short, semi-regular virtual events featuring a distinguished expert in the field or an otherwise influential individual who can offer a unique and relevant perspective on the language industry. It's worth noting that the idea behind ProZ Talks came from an anonymous site member in response to a survey that was conducted among those who preregistered for the Plus package.

How often will ProZ Talks be held?
Initially, it is planned that there will be at least two ProZ Talks held per year. We hope to schedule the first Talk by the first quarter of 2017.

How is this different from any other virtual event that ProZ.com offers?
ProZ Talks will be conducted through the same platform that is used during any of the site's virtual events. However, the plan is to set ProZ Talks apart from other online events through a one-person presenter style (think TED Talks), and by selecting more "unique" topics and themes.

Most event topics tend to focus on the practical aspects of being a freelance translator or interpreter: strategies to increase productivity, how to get more clients, creating a professional online presence, how to master a particular CAT tool, and the like. While these subjects are of no doubt significant interest and relevance to many language professionals, ProZ Talks will aim to touch on new and different themes. Imagine a virtual event in which the only presenter is the keynote speaker. This is the kind of environment it is hoped to create with ProZ Talks.

Who can attend a ProZ Talk?
Any paying site member may attend a ProZ Talk live. The video recorded during the Talk will form part of the expanding content available in the Plus-subscriber video library. These videos are available to Plus subscribers as a benefit of the package, and can be purchased one-off by those who have not yet subscribed to Plus.

What kind of speakers will be invited to participate in a ProZ Talk?
ProZ Talk speakers will be very relevant or outstanding individuals within the language industry who offer a unique perspective to share with the community. The possibility of inviting someone who works outside the language industry will not be ruled out, provided that the subject of his or her speech is of particular interest to freelance translators and interpreters.

Possible presenters may include translators of famous literary works, CEOs of language-related non-profit organizations, distinguished members of the translation community, and many more.

If you'd like to nominate someone to be featured in a ProZ Talk, you may do so via the site's support center or by responding to this topic.

For more information, see the Plus rollout page »

On behalf of the ProZ.com site team, I hope you enjoy ProZ Talks. I will post in this thread with more information or updates on this initiative as they are announced. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to post here or contact me personally if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:17
SITE FOUNDER
My ideas Dec 1, 2016

Thanks, MK. Two people I'd be interested to hear from:

* Jay Rubin - Murakami translator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Rubin -- Has the experience of translating Murakami ever (even temporarily) changed how you think, how you perceive the world?
* Jonathan M. Weiss - wikipedia says that he interpreted for Martin Luther King Jr. -- It would be interesting to hear his experie
... See more
Thanks, MK. Two people I'd be interested to hear from:

* Jay Rubin - Murakami translator: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Rubin -- Has the experience of translating Murakami ever (even temporarily) changed how you think, how you perceive the world?
* Jonathan M. Weiss - wikipedia says that he interpreted for Martin Luther King Jr. -- It would be interesting to hear his experience of the man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_M._Weiss
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:17
SITE FOUNDER
Jessica Cohen Oct 4, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/books/man-booker-winners-david-grossman-jessica-cohen-conversation.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Plus features: Announcing "ProZ Talks"!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »