How are new contest source texts chosen?
Thread poster: Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:40
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
Jun 21, 2014

Dear Forum,

I would like to know more about the upper mentioned topic. I didn't find any information on the contest page about this, but I 'm very interested in it.
I have proposed a new source text in Hungarian language, and it would be nice to see it included in the contest.

Thanks,
Sophie

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 01:40
SITE STAFF
Feedback is sought from members of the community on proposed source texts Jun 21, 2014

Hello Zsofia,

First, thanks for proposing a text! It would be great to add another language to the contest.

Proposed contest source texts which meet the criteria listed at http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/propose_source_text are reviewed by members of the community in order to try to arrive at a consensus on their suitability, in general. The
... See more
Hello Zsofia,

First, thanks for proposing a text! It would be great to add another language to the contest.

Proposed contest source texts which meet the criteria listed at http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/propose_source_text are reviewed by members of the community in order to try to arrive at a consensus on their suitability, in general. The opinion of members who are familiar with contests is sought in particular, though anyone can weigh in on a proposed text.

I have added an item to the home page to invite feedback on the text you have submitted.

Jared
Collapse

Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 21, 2014

Dear Jared,

Thank you for your help and kindness.
I really hope that the text will be considered good enough by other fellow translators to be included in the contest.

Have a lovely weekend!
Sophie

Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Is it just me? Jun 24, 2014

Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy wrote:

Dear Jared,

Thank you for your help and kindness.
I really hope that the text will be considered good enough by other fellow translators to be included in the contest.

Have a lovely weekend!
Sophie

Sadly, I have to admit I didn't think people would be soooo uninterested in having a new source text added in their own, mother tongue like they evidently do. No matter if the information is on the homepage, not a single vote was given to my entry-text.
I wonder whether is this the case with other languages as well... or it is just the Hungarians :/.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Arriving at a contest text can be difficult Jun 24, 2014

Finding a good source text, getting feedback on it, and everything else that leads to a text making it into a contest can be difficult, and it usually takes some time.

I've also reached out to some native speakers directly for their input on this particular text, and will keep you updated.

Jared

Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
'Possibility for separation' Jul 8, 2014

Dear Jared,

Lately I have noticed that many people who try to help evaluate the propsed source texts are unfamiliar with the exact meaning of the upper mentioned 'Possibility for separation' tag.
For example, I have tagged several parts of the text I've proposed and most of these tags got a few negative responses, as people seem to misunderstand what this tag means. They commented 'nothing has to be separated here' -> meaning they thought I've tagged these parts because there'
... See more
Dear Jared,

Lately I have noticed that many people who try to help evaluate the propsed source texts are unfamiliar with the exact meaning of the upper mentioned 'Possibility for separation' tag.
For example, I have tagged several parts of the text I've proposed and most of these tags got a few negative responses, as people seem to misunderstand what this tag means. They commented 'nothing has to be separated here' -> meaning they thought I've tagged these parts because there's a writing error in them, and some words have to be written separately. This is obviously not the case and I've tried contacting these people to clarify the tag, without any success so far. So all in all I feel it would be nice to give some explanation above the 'Highlighting'-section of the page and clarify what this tag means - if it is possible.
More and more people seem to be interested in evaluating this source text, but I'm worried it won't be chosen because of these negative votes - even if they are marked as negative by mistake.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Possibility for differentiation??? Jul 9, 2014

To me, 'Possibility for separation' sounds like a clumsy way of saying the text can be translated in many different ways and could serve as a point to really assess the skills of the translators. Is it what was meant by that note?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
That could be made clearer, but doesn't seem to be the main issue for this text at this point Jul 11, 2014

I'll have a look at how the "possibility for separation" tag can be made clearer. It does refer to parts of the text which can be translated in any of a number of ways.

Overall, the text has received both positive and negative feedback, through the tagging and and comments, and directly from members I contacted for their take on it, making a decision difficult at this point. It would be preferable to use a text where more of a consensus can be reached on its suitability. Another con
... See more
I'll have a look at how the "possibility for separation" tag can be made clearer. It does refer to parts of the text which can be translated in any of a number of ways.

Overall, the text has received both positive and negative feedback, through the tagging and and comments, and directly from members I contacted for their take on it, making a decision difficult at this point. It would be preferable to use a text where more of a consensus can be reached on its suitability. Another concern are the portions which have been tagged as writing errors (I am unable to determine if they are errors or what the corrections should be, of course).
Collapse

Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
consensus Jul 11, 2014

Dear Jared,

I would obviously be able to correct the Writing errors found in the text (there are 4 altogether - and 1 of these is not even a typical writing error, but rather a correction to make the text more understandable), if it is chosen. Almost all of the people giving feedbacks agreed on them, so it would be an easy job. When I've proposed the source text, I haven't made any changes on it - despite seeing these errors -, because I did not want to change the original source te
... See more
Dear Jared,

I would obviously be able to correct the Writing errors found in the text (there are 4 altogether - and 1 of these is not even a typical writing error, but rather a correction to make the text more understandable), if it is chosen. Almost all of the people giving feedbacks agreed on them, so it would be an easy job. When I've proposed the source text, I haven't made any changes on it - despite seeing these errors -, because I did not want to change the original source text.
But the other, negative responses under the positive highlights were made by mistake, due to the above mentioned misunderstanding. There would be nothing to change, as the peers misunderstood the meaning of 'separation'.
Plus, I think the overall suitability of the text was not questioned - on the contrary, in the discussion 3 people expressed their opinion that the text is of average difficulty, interesting and 'Hungarian' at the same time.

Anyway, thank you for your help, whatever the decision will be!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How are new contest source texts chosen?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »