Annual ProZ.com translation contest 2014, "Celebrations" open now
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:30
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Dutch source text now available Jun 4, 2014

Again, thanks to the help of several members of the community in the text proposal and evaluation process, a source text for Dutch is now available for the contest. There are now a total of eight different source texts available; hopefully in the days and weeks to come, more can be added.

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Russian? Jun 4, 2014

Jared Tabor wrote:

Again, thanks to the help of several members of the community in the text proposal and evaluation process, a source text for Dutch is now available for the contest. There are now a total of eight different source texts available; hopefully in the days and weeks to come, more can be added.

What about Russian source text?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
A replacement is being sought Jun 4, 2014

Hello Ali,

The original Russian source text was removed earlier on in the contest after some members determined it might not be suitable as a contest source text. A replacement is currently being sought:

I realized it was still shown in the original announcement above and that the new source texts were not listed, so I'll edit.

Jared

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:30
French to English
Are contestants' names visible? Jun 5, 2014

Can you see who submitted what, or is it anonymous?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
It is anonymous Jun 5, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

But participants can rate other entries.

Think how impartial the results can be:-)

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Thanks Christel! Jun 5, 2014

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

But participants can rate other entries.

Think how impartial the results can be:-)

Haha, yes, I see what you mean

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
New Russian source text now available Jun 6, 2014

A new source text for Russian is now available for the contest. Thanks to everyone who helped out with this!

Jared

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
It's one's choice Jun 13, 2014

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I think a participant can choose whether to stay hidden or make their name be visible, at least in the last competition things were like this.

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
agree Jun 13, 2014

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

That I know of, participants are able to rate entries other than theirs.

I think that allowing the contestants to express an opinion (which, not surprisingly, is often negative) on other’s translations introduces a bias into the contest. It’s intuitive that this is likely to skew the results and introduces a problem with fairness.

While there are few who offer constructive criticism, many participants disagree with everything and anything. I recall a past contest where I noticed over 80 negative comments from the same person, which was a contestant herself.

I don’t know of any competition of any sort where contestants are allowed to judge their direct competitors, and clearly the principle behind it is fairness.

I had already brought this issue to the staff’s attention but I am not sure it has been taken into consideration.

Will this time be different [i.e. contestants will not be allowed to rate any entry in the same language pair(s) of their submitted translation(s)] or are you going to run this contest “as usual”?

Kind regards,

[Edited at 2014-05-07 13:50 GMT]

I agree with you Texjax,
I would add a couple of observations. In the last competition I remember in the hybrid phase there were people making continuously corrections just for the sake of criticizing, at times even making mistakes, so that an entry, which is globally a good translation, may be unfavoured (even if the negative tags are balanced by the positive ones).

Furthermore, let's also consider that entries are quite a lot, especially for common combinations. This way people who make corrections, once arrived at a point, they might be tired to view/scan them, thus letting some entries go unread, which to me is not fair because they are apparently clean while they may contain mistakes.

If I am wrong please correct me.

[Modificato alle 2014-06-13 17:22 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Scènes de la vie de jeunesse Jul 2, 2014

Just in case you haven't found it, here's a link to the full text at Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18537?msg=welcome_stranger

I'm finding this surprisingly difficult - unless a miracle happens, I won't be submitting an entry.

Dragomani
Dragomani  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:30
English-Bulgarian Jul 6, 2014

Hello,

This is - or rather was supposed to be - my first participation in the translation contest. As it happened, my language pair, namely, English-Bulgarian, was limited to ProZ members only! However, this is not the case for Czech-Bulgarian pair, for example.

I am very disappointed that I have to pay in order to participate in the contest. I am running a small translation company and unfortunately can't afford to pay extra for your services.

I am sure
... See more
Hello,

This is - or rather was supposed to be - my first participation in the translation contest. As it happened, my language pair, namely, English-Bulgarian, was limited to ProZ members only! However, this is not the case for Czech-Bulgarian pair, for example.

I am very disappointed that I have to pay in order to participate in the contest. I am running a small translation company and unfortunately can't afford to pay extra for your services.

I am sure that if you think over this restriction, you will have many more participants with many more contest entries of good quality.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
New Romanian source text now available Jul 11, 2014

A new source text for Romanian is now available for the contest. Thanks to those who helped in the process, and especially to those who took the time to evaluate it and provide their feedback!

Jared

Valeria Garibe
Valeria Garibe  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
indicating Spanish variants doesn solve the problem Jul 30, 2014

Susie Rawson wrote:

You're quite right. But then again, same thing applies for Spanish from Spain and Latin American Spanish. Huge differences.

Although there is a new feature to indicate the language variant so as for voters to know which sort of Spanish we used in our translations, I don´t think it is enough. What happens if there are, for example, 10 best translations into different variants of Spanish. Which will be the best? How can a Spanish speaking person vote for a text from a spanish speaking country where he does not live?

As Russel said: "Indicating the language variant doesn't really overcome the problem unless the variants are treated as separate languages. If voters can't understand an entry, they won't vote for it, full stop (period)."

I agree with him.

I don´t think it is also fair for contestants to vote and qualify their own competitors.

Thank you!

Reginaldo Francisco
Reginaldo Francisco  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Too late Jul 31, 2014

What a pity!
I only now could try to submit my entry, but the deadline had passed. I already had my Italian-Brazilian Portuguese translation ready, but I was too busy these days with a project and had not payed attention to the fact that the deadline was not only July 31st, but July 31st at 12:00 BRT.
Hope I can participate next time...

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Same here! Why not 12 pm CEST?? Jul 31, 2014

Reginaldo Francisco wrote:
(...) had not payed attention to the fact that the deadline was not only July 31st, but July 31st at 12:00 BRT.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annual ProZ.com translation contest 2014, "Celebrations" open now

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »