Congratulations to the (first batch of) winners in the Yogi Berra translation contest!
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:48
SITE FOUNDER
Nov 16, 2012

Thank you to all who participated in the recent translation contest, which featured quotes by Yogi Berra, either as a contestant or as a rater/voter. Even though this was a "mini-contest", I hope the subject matter was found to be somewhat challenging and at least a little bit enjoyable.

I would like to congratulate the first batch of winners, in
... See more
Thank you to all who participated in the recent translation contest, which featured quotes by Yogi Berra, either as a contestant or as a rater/voter. Even though this was a "mini-contest", I hope the subject matter was found to be somewhat challenging and at least a little bit enjoyable.

I would like to congratulate the first batch of winners, in thirty target languages:

• Albanian: Ledja
  • Arabic: Hani Hassaan
  • Bulgarian: Krasimira Drumeva
  • Chinese: Melody Liang
  • Croatian: Elio Verbanac
  • Czech: Marek Buchtel
  • Danish: Gitte Hovedskov Hansen
  • Dutch: Hester Eymers
  • Farsi (Persian): Zeynab Tajik
  • French: Cécile Sellier
  • German: Judith Maria Müller
  • Greek: Eleni Bouchli
  • Hungarian: Kornelia Robertson
  • Indonesian: Sri Lestari Bahagia
  • Italian: simon tanner and Maria Rizzo
  • Korean: MOON JUNG CHOI
  • Latvian: Elza Ozolina
  • Macedonian: Milena Čkripeska
  • Polish: Jerzy Matwiejczuk
  • Portuguese (BR): Heitor M. Corrêa
  • Portuguese (EU): jobelo
  • Romanian: Andreea Sepi
  • Russian: IrinaSpinosa
  • Serbian: Milica Aćimović
  • Slovak: tomashruz
  • Spanish: Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
  • Swedish: Lena Käller
  • Turkish: Bora Tasdemir and Nihan Pekmen
  • Ukrainian: Sergey Savchenko
  • Vietnamese: thatvovan

Unfortunately, although we have reached the deadline for voting, in thirty additional pairs we don't yet have enough votes to close out the contest. If you translate from English into one of the following languages, please take a few minutes, if you can, to rank the top three translations from among the translations in that group:

• Thai
  • Tagalog
  • Armenian
  • Catalan
  • Finnish
  • Bosnian
  • Estonian
  • Hindi
  • Japanese
  • Belarusian
  • Bengali
  • Marathi
  • Hebrew
  • Malay
  • Slovenian
  • Swahili
  • Telugu
  • Afrikaans
  • Georgian
  • Gujarati
  • Icelandic
  • French-based Creole
  • Esperanto
  • Tamil
  • Urdu
  • Friulian
  • Galician
  • Javanese
  • Lao
  • Norwegian

There are four other pairs in which the minimum required number of entries (three) was not received. In these pairs, it is possible to review translations and provide feedback to the authors. Please let them know if you find any of their translated quotes appealing!

• Maltese
  • Simple English
  • Latin
  • LetzeburgeschCollapse

•  
    Theo Bernards (X)
    Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
    France
    Local time: 13:48
    English to Dutch
    + ...
    Congratulations to all the winners. Nov 16, 2012

This was the first contest I participated in (another fine benefit of being a paid member) and I enjoyed the contest very much. I checked and it seems that in my language combination we also have a winner and without any grumble I congratulate her, too. I look forward to participating in the next contest.

Morano El-Kholy
    Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
    Egypt
    Local time: 14:48
    Member (2011)
    English to Arabic
    + ...
    My Congratulations too. Nov 17, 2012

Dear winners,

My sincere congratulations to all. I hope you all the best in your professional careers.

Kindest regards,
    Morano ElKholy.

PRAKASH SHARMA
    PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
    India
    Local time: 18:18
    English to Hindi
    + ...
    Ousted entry in Hindi contest is the good one I think so. Nov 17, 2012

Hi,

I was busy earlier and today I compared all Hindi translations.

I found that 8th entry which has been ousted contains good translations.

I request you to please include it again, so that I can vote for him/her.

Thanks and Regards,
    PRAKAASH

María Diehn
    María Diehn  Identity Verified
    United States
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Great job! Nov 18, 2012

Congratulations to all the winners and contestants, especially our Spanish speakers.

Ricardy Ricot
    Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
    French to English
    + ...
    Congrats Nov 18, 2012

Congratulations to winners and participants

Sarah Jane Webb
    Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
    Italian to English
    + ...
    congratulations... Nov 18, 2012

... to all contest winners, and in particular to Simon Tanner and Maria Rizzo, for the en>it version. Well done! Seriously now: Simon, stop competing and hogging all the medals

macimovic
    macimovic
    Netherlands
    English to Serbian
    + ...
    Bravo Nov 18, 2012

Congratulations!

Samuel Murray
    Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
    Netherlands
    Member (2006)
    English to Afrikaans
    + ...
    How many? Nov 19, 2012

Henry Dotterer wrote:
    Unfortunately, although we have reached the deadline for voting, in thirty additional pairs we don't yet have enough votes to close out the contest. ...
  • Afrikaans

• How many votes does Afrikaans have at this time? How many votes are needed?

I for one had a tough time choosing winners because the contest text is not just one text -- each Yogi saying is a separate text, and I would have loved to vote for the translations of individual sayings instead. A translator may have translated one saying brilliantly while scoring no more than mediocre at the rest, whereas another translator may have done brilliantly on another saying, but no more than mediocre on the rest. So who is the better translator? Most of the Afrikaans translations were fairly straight-forward and predictable, and very few opportunities to be creative were actually used (but they were used by all, for different sayings).

Henry Dotterer
    Henry Dotterer
    SITE FOUNDER
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks, Samuel Nov 19, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:
    Unfortunately, although we have reached the deadline for voting, in thirty additional pairs we don't yet have enough votes to close out the contest. ...
  • Afrikaans

• How many votes does Afrikaans have at this time? How many votes are needed?

I should have written not enough "voters", since the decision is based on that, not votes cast. The ratio I am looking for, in general, is three voters per entry, since I have seen in past contests that the winner tends to be settled securely around that time. (In some situations we might diverge from that. For example, if there were a clear winner when the ratio is 2.5, so that even if all of the voter required to move the pair to a 3.0 ratio voted for the 2nd place entry as best it would not change the outcome, we might close out that pair at the 2.5 line. (That has not happened in any pair yet, this time around.))

Afrikaans is one of the pairs in which we are not really close yet. We have six voters, and would need nine to get to the 3.0 ratio.
    I for one had a tough time choosing winners because the contest text is not just one text -- each Yogi saying is a separate text, and I would have loved to vote for the translations of individual sayings instead. A translator may have translated one saying brilliantly while scoring no more than mediocre at the rest, whereas another translator may have done brilliantly on another saying, but no more than mediocre on the rest.

I got feedback along these lines from many people; it seems clear that this has been a factor in voting. And as it turns out, in this edition of the contests, in many pairs the competition stayed closer, longer, so that there were changes in rankings well beyond the normal three voters per entry line. (So that the winner was not necessarily secure at the 3.0 point. In fact, winners were changing in a few pairs even at a much higher ratio.)
    Most of the Afrikaans translations were fairly straight-forward and predictable, and very few opportunities to be creative were actually used (but they were used by all, for different sayings).

Thanks for the feedback. I have the impression that this is true for many pairs.

Sanchia Holder
    Sanchia Holder  Identity Verified
    Trinidad and Tobago
    French to English
    + ...
    Congrats to all the winners! Nov 21, 2012

This was the first ProZ.com contest I participated in. It was a great challenge and congrats to those who won.

Ha Ka
    Ha Ka
    Germany
    English to German
    + ...
    Yogi - Afrikaans Translation Apr 4, 2013

I checked this one - could have read English or German translation - and found a glaring mistake for:
    "We´re lost, but making good time" voted best by 5(!) for: "Ons is verdwaal, maar geniet dit baie". The second part says enjoying it very much, but the original speaks of making up good time, ie. catching up on it!
    -> Shouldn´t only native speakers be allowed to vote? Why can I not register as trilingual instead of just as bilingual?

Otherwise, a great wensite with m
    ... See more
    I checked this one - could have read English or German translation - and found a glaring mistake for:
    "We´re lost, but making good time" voted best by 5(!) for: "Ons is verdwaal, maar geniet dit baie". The second part says enjoying it very much, but the original speaks of making up good time, ie. catching up on it!
    -> Shouldn´t only native speakers be allowed to vote? Why can I not register as trilingual instead of just as bilingual?

Otherwise, a great wensite with many possibilities and lots of useful information!

Greets
    Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Congratulations to the (first batch of) winners in the Yogi Berra translation contest!

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »