Sarah Yousef (X)
Sarah Yousef (X)
Iran
Local time: 06:26
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jun 3, 2017

Dear friends and colleague,

I'm working on my proposal and the topic I have in mind, I would like to know your ideas, comments and suggestions about my topic

My researcher topic is mainly about English translation of one of the Iranian poets' books.
I want to focus on image of women and the way they are pictured by the poet , actually they are depicted as an icon of greed, gluttony, animality
I want to see/ explore if the English translator has represen
... See more

I'm working on my proposal and the topic I have in mind, I would like to know your ideas, comments and suggestions about my topic

My researcher topic is mainly about English translation of one of the Iranian poets' books.
I want to focus on image of women and the way they are pictured by the poet , actually they are depicted as an icon of greed, gluttony, animality
I want to see/ explore if the English translator has represented them in the same way.

I wanna know if western readers who are the big fan of the poet accept his ideas and beliefs about women or some kind of change,alteration or manipulation has occurred in the English translation by the translator, so that's why he is popular in western countries .

and if the translator has represented women as an icon of greed, gluttony, animality too, is it possible that diverse ideologies and beliefs cannot affect popularity of a writer/poet?
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:26
English to Thai
+ ...
Exploitation of search engines Jun 5, 2017

Sarah Yousefi wrote:

I wanna know if western readers who are the big fan of the poet accept his ideas and beliefs about women or some kind of change,alteration or manipulation has occurred in the English translation by the translator, so that's why he is popular in western countries .

and if the translator has represented women as an icon of greed, gluttony, animality too, is it possible that diverse ideologies and beliefs cannot affect popularity of a writer/poet?

I guess that you are seeking a topic for your master or doctor degree.
As I made some dissertations for my degrees when there was no Internet or Google Searches, dissertation topics now is quite easy.
In my processes, my adviser (professor) took a long time before accepting my thesis since he was not familiar with my updates of academic idea.
Now you can search among articles, theses, reports, international conferences and other domains to grasp a topic you like and you can earn an academic degree.
As a post Ph.D. graduate, I now seek and meet with tons of topic for research.
In short, "Use your Internet Search ability fully" and you will be successful on any combinations, whatever they can be extra-ordinary or amazing.

Soonthon L.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
French to English
Hi Sarah Jun 5, 2017

Sarah Yousefi wrote:

I want to see/ explore if the English translator has represented them in the same way.

This sounds like an interesting topic! There should be plenty of material, too - you could include a brief overview of the depiction of women in Iranian poetry, and the specific poet's work. The main part would be an in-depth analysis of the poems and their translations, with reference to various translation theories maybe, and referring to existing articles on the topic. Perhaps, during the course of your research, you will find reviews or articles that help you explore why western readers enjoy reading the translations. You can often find useful material about translation in the introductory section of translated works.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
I second that Jun 5, 2017

I think Elizabeth has made an excellent suggestion how to approach the topic - that would be a good outline to work from. If this was my thesis, I would be inspired to get started right away.

I also agree with Elizabeth and Soonthon when they suggest using the Internet to the fullest; there should be lots of information you can use in reviews, commentaries, articles about women in poetry, cultural attitudes toward women, etc.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your topic should be a personal choice, not a Google search Jun 5, 2017

Sarah, as someone who knows a thing or two about writing academic essays and a master's dissertation, may I offer some ideas?

First, your topic has to be a personal choice, a problem, challenge or issue that you feel very strongly about, a personal challenge, not some result from a Google search.

Second, your professors might have already mentioned The Map: A Beginner's Guide to Doing Research, by Jenny Williams and Andr
... See more
Sarah, as someone who knows a thing or two about writing academic essays and a master's dissertation, may I offer some ideas?

First, your topic has to be a personal choice, a problem, challenge or issue that you feel very strongly about, a personal challenge, not some result from a Google search.

Second, your professors might have already mentioned The Map: A Beginner's Guide to Doing Research, by Jenny Williams and Andrew Chesterman (http://bit.ly/2saMMXt). This is a must-have book to guide you in finding and determining your master's or doctoral thesis.

You can't do a market research to see which topics are “more popular.” It's not a matter of academic ethical behavior but of personal integrity. Part of your research involves reading and reviewing published academic papers on the subject you're interested in researching.

Also, membership in researchgate.net or academia.edu, among other reputable academic sites, is advisable.

Good luck.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Personal choice Jun 6, 2017

Hi Mario,

Your suggestions on resources are very valuable but it seems clear that Sarah has already chosen a topic which I assume is a personal choice. She already has a fairly good idea of what she wants to research but just needs a place to start, some suggestions on how to go about it and how to focus. No-one here is suggesting that she goes 'topic-shopping' on the internet. Bringing up ethics and personal integrity is uncalled for.

Maybe it wasn't clearly explained
... See more
Hi Mario,

Your suggestions on resources are very valuable but it seems clear that Sarah has already chosen a topic which I assume is a personal choice. She already has a fairly good idea of what she wants to research but just needs a place to start, some suggestions on how to go about it and how to focus. No-one here is suggesting that she goes 'topic-shopping' on the internet. Bringing up ethics and personal integrity is uncalled for.

Maybe it wasn't clearly explained but what she can find on the internet is pathways to research (including the book you mention) and information (books, journal articles, etc.) on her topic. The most interesting information can sometimes be found not only in a journal article itself but by checking out its reference list, so you may find one thing that leads you to another and then another. The time is past that you had to go to the library with a load of quarters to copy articles so you could read them at home. In the 21st century you go to the internet.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
French to English
. Jun 6, 2017

I agree with you, Tina. I think Mario must have misread Sarah's post.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Seen from a distance Jun 6, 2017

Sarah Yousefi wrote:

I know nothing about dissertations, I kinda rebelled against the conventional school system.

I got my BSc in Industrial Mechanical Engineering, and called it quits. They taught me too much of what they wanted, and possibly not enough of what I'd possibly need in the profession.

For instance, I was a star student in Fluid Mechanics. Soon after I graduated, I went to work for a pump manufacturer, in marketing services. One day I asked a colleague to let me calculate an installation. After I did it, he examined my notes and said, "At school, this would be perfect, you'd get an A+ for sure. However in real life our client won't get any water from this system. Let me show you how it works in reality..."

So ever since I decided to learn on my own anything I needed. Yes, I've assisted some people with their graduate papers, among them my ESL teacher wife, and earlier a cardiologist girlfriend.

Being a first-generation Brazilian of Polish ancestry, I have a distant view of the Far Eastern culture. I don't differentiate clearly Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc. To illustrate, once I was in Princeton, NJ, and I ate the worst sushi ever. When I commented about it with a local friend, he asked for details, and concluded that I was the one to blame: "Who orders sushi in a Korean restaurant?"

So I can empathize with why you refer to "western readers", "western countries" from a distance, as a nondescript mass of nations and peoples.

Fortunately, you are researching on translations into English, which is a rather popular language on this side of the planet. Just brainstorming... as you do your research, mark your findings with the country they came from. Perhaps Yankees, Brits, Aussies, and Cannucks have consistently different views, as their cultures are different, though they share a common language.

Just my 2¢.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
21st century Jun 6, 2017

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Hi Mario,

Maybe it wasn't clearly explained but what she can find on the internet is pathways to research (including the book you mention) and information (books, journal articles, etc.) on her topic. The most interesting information can sometimes be found not only in a journal article itself but by checking out its reference list, so you may find one thing that leads you to another and then another. The time is past that you had to go to the library with a load of quarters to copy articles so you could read them at home. In the 21st century you go to the internet.

Hello, Tina,

You misunderstood the intent of my posting. I wasn't questioning the poster's integrity or ethical behavior. It would be better to ask me what I meant instead of making assumptions.

I'm well aware we're living in different times where we don't necessarily have to go to the library to copy articles. However, expecting the Internet to have everything is a mistake. As an example, some of the books and articles I'm using for academic papers myself are not on the Internet.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion of a dissertation topic

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »