Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is your level of use of CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 10:52
German to English
Walter Nov 28, 2005

It was meant to be funny. Did you miss the smiley?

Sorry to have offended you.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
OK Nov 28, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:

It was meant to be funny. Did you miss the smiley?

Sorry to have offended you.

If it was a joke, it didn`t look so. No, I cannot see any smiley.
Your answer is enough, though.

Walter

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Now here's an arrogant remark :) Nov 28, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:
I think the poll only shows that the highest percentage of people who answer ProZ polls don't use CAT tools...!

The rest of us are too busy translating (with our CAT tools).

(C:

Wait until the snail mail from the guys still using typewriters gets in)

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Deja Vu and 100% mat Nov 28, 2005

Christine Andersen wrote:
You still have to proof read all those repetitions, or else refuse to take any responsibility for them WHATSOEVER if the client won't pay for proofing.

You're probably aware of this, but a tip for new users of DVX: in the external view export dialog, "Suppress exact matches" and "Suppress duplicate rows" saves a lot of proofreading if you have a reliable TM AND if you've checked numerals separately.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Proficiency, not use! Nov 29, 2005

Hello everybody!
Walter Landesman wrote:

This is -maybe- an updated version of a poll made two months ago: http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=321
It would be useful - I think - to go back to it, analyse and compare results.

I think both polls are not exactly the same. Of course they are related, since we can not avoid the question "do you use CAT at all or not?"
But I find this new poll interresting because it goes further: not only do you use CAT, but how proficient are you? For people who just want to debate "is CAT good or not?", I'd suggest they do it on that other topic and this one remains about proficiency in use of CAT.

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing about your level of proficiency. I answered the poll quite spontaneously and chose "Advanced". But then I went on reading articles and forums on ProZ (which I do a lot since I am a newby here ) and I realized the question was not as eaasy as it seemed. Even if you use CAT, I think 2 further parameters should be considered:

- How many features of CAT are you able to use?
- How many CAT tools are you able to use?

As for me, I can use almost all features of Trados, with more or less proficiency: I use Workbench and TagEditor everyday, WinAlign from time to time, I used to be good at Multiterm 5 but can't manage the new iX-version and I once used T-Window for Ppt.
I consider this a quite proficient use of Trados, but I have never used any other CAT tool (except Logoport), though I guess they are all quite similar. That's why I chose "Advanced".

But as I understand from different postings, some (many?) of you use only Workbench (for instance), so I'd be happy to hear about your kind of experience with CAT.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
or use Microsoft Office Document Image writer Dec 4, 2005

Tadej wrote: just use Abby FineReader for .pdf files.

Of course Microsoft would not be Microsoft if they did not try to get their fingers in this pie as well. Been using it a lot. Use czech to OCR Slovenian texts with satisfactory results.

smo

Xiedong Lei
Xiedong Lei
China
Local time: 17:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Apr 3, 2006

Özden Arıkan wrote:

You can try the free version of Wordfast, for instance. It is compatible with Trados, and would help you get started with Word-based CAT tools.

All info can be found here: www.wordfast.net

Good luck!

Agree. I think that , as a beginner, Wordfast would be the best choice for you, and when you are familar with the basic concepts of CAT tools , it would be rather easier for using Trados and Deja Vu etc. -- Trados is somewhat time-consuming, but Deja Vu , hmmm, is very easy to learn and to use -- I just spent one night for it.

Luis Fernando Carvalho
Luis Fernando Carvalho
Brazil
Local time: 06:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you all with your collaborations Mar 1, 2021

I had "the same doubt" just today as I was asked in a "registration form" about the level of proficiency I am in each one.

Though I have almost 7 years in the translation market, there are some "#duh!" questions or things "I should of known" that I still don't...

I guess that's profession and life: each day learning a little bit more.

Thank you all! =)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your level of use of CAT tools?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »