HELP cannot enter glossary term
Thread poster: Nell75
Nell75
Nell75
Sweden
Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I am a complete beginner at OmegaT (and CAT-tools in general). I just started working on my first project in OmegaT (version 4.3.2) and starts to understand a bit how it works. However, a huge problem is that I cannot enter terms in the glossary. Almost every time I mark a word and click on add to glossary, the program stops responding and I have to do a forced restart of the computer! I have tried enter new terms by right clicking on the term as well as using the menu, and it is the sam... See more
Hello, I am a complete beginner at OmegaT (and CAT-tools in general). I just started working on my first project in OmegaT (version 4.3.2) and starts to understand a bit how it works. However, a huge problem is that I cannot enter terms in the glossary. Almost every time I mark a word and click on add to glossary, the program stops responding and I have to do a forced restart of the computer! I have tried enter new terms by right clicking on the term as well as using the menu, and it is the same thing. Even more strange is that it happened a few times that I managed to enter a term without problems, even though I did not do anything differently. What can I do??? My project is a 70 pages long court judgement with lots of terminology that I need to keep track on so I really need to be able to enter glossary terms.
Anyone else had this problem?
Annelie
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Russian to English
+ ...
What does your "writeable glossary" file say? Feb 26, 2021

Never heard of such a problem.
Press Control E to get your "Project Properties." Is it possible that the line for "writeable glossary file" is empty?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:49
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Workaround Feb 26, 2021

Open the glossary in a (good) text editor and add terms as follows:

term{tab}translation{tab}optional comment

However, the described behavior is not normal obviously.

Ask a good question. In particular, what is the operation system / JRE version?

Nell75
Nell75
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
still not working Feb 27, 2021

thank you for your replies. No, the glossary line in project properties is not empty. it ends with "glossary.txt"

as for opening the glossary in a text editor, I don't understand, sorry....In addition to being new to CAT tools, I am an idiot when it comes to computers. Not a good combination.....

Nell75
Nell75
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
JRE Feb 27, 2021

I have Java version 8 (281). Recently downloaded

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
And… Feb 28, 2021

what is the operating system?

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
English to Czech
Legacy versions and 5.41 animation Feb 28, 2021

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2021-01/06/en/00.html

Glossaries in 5.41

Watch an animation.
==

https://omegat.org/download

Latest Version - OmegaT 5.4.1 = (Accidentally, entering items in the glossary does not work correctly. Czech words with accents
... See more
http://www.condak.cz/nove/2021-01/06/en/00.html

Glossaries in 5.41

Watch an animation.
==

https://omegat.org/download

Latest Version - OmegaT 5.4.1 = (Accidentally, entering items in the glossary does not work correctly. Czech words with accents contain question marks instead of letters with accents. When the word is in the target language, the question mark is displayed. When a word is in the source language, it is not found and NOTHING is displayed.)

Windows with 64-bit JRE = for Windows 10

Legacy versions

I use OmegaT 5.20 for entering items to glossary. Works fine.
====
You can still find older, superseded versions of OmegaT.

Legacy versions are older versions that have been superseded. For most users, these are not of interest. However, some users may face restrictions (imposed by their operating systems or Java version) that may result in a preference for an older version.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Legacy/

OmegaT 3.6.0 update 11 2019-03-02

With/without JRE
In order to run, OmegaT requires the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to be installed on your computer.
--
Milan

[Edited at 2021-02-28 20:34 GMT]
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The title you put to this forum thread Feb 28, 2021

The title you put to this forum thread led me to think HELP is a program that you use to enter glossary terms.

[Edited at 2021-02-28 08:29 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Annelie Feb 28, 2021

Nell75 wrote:
Almost every time I mark a word and click on add to glossary, the program stops responding and I have to do a forced restart of the computer!

This is not normal, no.

I'll assume Microsoft Windows, and then I suspect there is a problem with file permissions.

Try two things:

1. In OmegaT, when you click Project > Open Recent Project, what is the full name of the project that you're using? It'll be something similar to C:\ followed by some folder names. What is the full name including all the folder names in that name?

2. In OmegaT, after you've opened the project, press Ctrl+E or click Project > Properties... (it brings up the project properties). Near the bottom of that dialog are the words "Glossary Folder" and immediately underneath those words is a field that contains the glossary folder (again, it may start with e.g. "C:\" etc.). What is the full name of that glossary folder (including al the folder parent folders up to the C:\ etc.)?

Nell75 wrote:
As for opening the glossary in a text editor, I don't understand, sorry...

It usually just means that you should go to your project's "glossary" subfolder, and then double-click the "glossary.txt" file. It will then open that file in a text editor (in Windows, it's usually Notepad). Then you can add terms to it by typing the source term, then press TAB, then type the target term, and then press ENTER, and remember to save and close the text editor.

[Edited at 2021-02-28 12:27 GMT]

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No, no! Mar 1, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

…It will then open that file in a text editor (in Windows, it's usually Notepad).…

Once again: it preferably should be a good text editor, not Windows Notepad.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Re: Notepad Mar 1, 2021

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
…It will then open that file in a text editor (in Windows, it's usually Notepad).…

Once again: it preferably should be a good text editor, not Windows Notepad.

Many years ago, Notepad was a terrible text editor, and so Notepad has gotten a bad name among text editors. The version of Notepad that is bundled with recent versions of Windows no longer suffer some of the issues that plagued older versions. For example, older versions could not write Unicode, and older versions did not support soft word wrap (so that unnecessary line breaks were inserted when you save the file). Yet the myth persists that Notepad is a bad text editor.

The only thing that may still be an issue is the fact that a text editor needs to have some kind of protocol for dealing with files that have a non-declared text encoding (this problem exists in all text editors, even the so-called good ones), and Notepad's protocol may be different from that of your other favourite text editor. And if you are one of those who "don't believe in" the UTF8 BOM, well, a simple registry tweak can make Notepad save UTF8 files without the faux BOM by default.

Annelie, if you keep encountering people who tell you that Notepad is a bad text editor and that you must get a different one, I can recommend Akelpad, for its simplicity. When you install Akelpad, you'll be asked "Replace Notepad?" and if you say "Yes" then the OS and all programs that attempt to open Notepad will open Akelpad instead.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

HELP cannot enter glossary term

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »