Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: What 'other' devices do you use for work?
Thread poster: Sery Media (X)
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Good Feb 17, 2015

Good- so you're not one of the increasing number of people who walk straight at me in the street, intent on looking at the screen of their phones.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Heavy duty Feb 17, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:
I find my tea "kettle" much more efficient device than my "Kindle".

Clearly, you're living in the past and have failed to keep up with the "technology" (i.e. consumer gadgets) that shallow people think is taking the world to Shangri-La. I won'tsay you're a Luddite because the Luddites were engaged in an honourable struggle to save their jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

I forgot to mention that I also have a fully-fledged Spanish Real Academia dictionary, in a rugged cover, weighing 43 not MB but kg.

Should you need it for any reason, I can eagerly send it to you by courier mail. The dictionary is free, but you pay the freight

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:33
Danish to English
+ ...
'Unnatural technology' Feb 18, 2015

I had to laugh at this Douglas Adams quote in the Guardian this morning:

1) Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

2) Anything that’s invented between when you’re 15 and 35 is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

3) Anything invented after you’re 35 is against the natural order of things.

I'm 52, so, way past the
... See more
I had to laugh at this Douglas Adams quote in the Guardian this morning:

1) Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

2) Anything that’s invented between when you’re 15 and 35 is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

3) Anything invented after you’re 35 is against the natural order of things.

I'm 52, so, way past the age where I adopt new technologies with a smile - even Smartphones and tablets seem alien to me... Mind you, if I discover that they can make my work easier or more convenient, I will drag myself into the 21st century and learn how to use them.
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Dictation + Studio 2014 - an option? Feb 18, 2015

Does anyone here use dictation / speech recognition software in combination with Studio 2014?

Is that at all possible?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Dragon's (being) Done Feb 18, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Does anyone here use dictation / speech recognition software in combination with Studio 2014?

Is that at all possible?

Apparently, Paul Filkin touched on Dragon+Studio 2014 at the Israeli Translators conference this week. I'm sure he'll be packaging his authoritative musings into a blog post sooner or later (@Paul Hint, hint!).

Meanwhile here are Paul's thoughts about using Studio on a tablet.

@Gitte Do sign up for Paul's blog if you haven't already done so. There's all sorts of interesting stuff to shake us wrinklies out of our technocomplacency

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Just drones Feb 18, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Good- so you're not one of the increasing number of people who walk straight at me in the street, intent on looking at the screen of their phones.

No, but there is an increased risk of being hit by my radio controlled drone. Especially as according to Douglas Adam's words of wisdom I won't be able to update my equipment from next month on, because I will then consider all newly developed components against the natural order of things... I really hope my curiosity for new technologies lasts a little longer though, I am a technology translator, after all...

Neil Ashby
Neil Ashby
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I used to use Microsoft's free voice recognition with Trados 2011 Jun 30, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Is that at all possible?

Hi gitte,

Before I converted to MemoQ, one of the reasons being that it functions perfectly well with DNS, I tested whether voice recog. worked for me in Trados 2011.
The program offered in Windows (I have Windows 8) by Microsoft works perfectly well in Trados 2011 (Dragon does not!), maybe it does in Trados 2014 as well. Have you tried?

Sure the free program from MS is less complete than DNS but it was still relatively accurate and faster than typing.

I have since bought the latest version of Dragon Naturally Speaking (version 13 or 14...) and it crashes on a daily basis (and I'm operating with an iCore7), simply requiring a computer restart to set it straight.
When it works it's great, 50% more production and no wrist problems, but it comes with a large degree of frustration, i.e., patience is required. Several users in the DNS community wish they had not updated from the previous version which ran much more smoothly..... one is damned if one does and damned if one doesn't.

All the best

Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
External Hard Drive Jul 29, 2015

I always have my external hard drive with me at the office just in case I need to store a large file of junk

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
device Nov 9, 2017

I only use my phone and laptop for my work. I don't a tablet, it's just hard to use it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What 'other' devices do you use for work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »