How I can get order from big company or clients?
Thread poster: Md. Tanjimul Islam Jiban
Md. Tanjimul Islam Jiban
Md. Tanjimul Islam Jiban
Bangladesh
Local time: 05:23
Member (2015)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 26, 2017

Hi,
I have been working with several vendors for years.
How can I contact or get task from the company like theBigWord?
Now my account type is "Freelance translator and/or interpreter". Do I need to set my account type as "agency/company"?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
Big companies Sep 27, 2017

This question reminds me of another question: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer: "Practice. Practice. Practice."
When targeting the "big" companies scrutinize the Blue Board. Just as "all that glitters is not gold", all that pretends to be big, is not really big.

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 08:23
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Agree with Michael Sep 27, 2017

I agree with Michael's opinion... and I believe that you don't have to change your account type to agency/company.

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:23
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes, "all that glitters is not gold" Sep 27, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

"all that glitters is not gold", all that pretends to be big, is not really big.

Agree with both Michael and Joohee. Yes, search the BB and stick to your current account.

ammynj
ammynj
China
Local time: 07:23
English to Chinese
Agree! Gold alway glitters Sep 27, 2017

Agree! Gold alway glitters

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
Big is not always good Sep 27, 2017

Sometimes they are really big, but not always good. In addition to BB you can also read the feedback about the companies on glassdoor, it is really an eye-opener.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Check the BB and everywhere else before applying anywhere Sep 27, 2017

jiban wrote:
How can I contact or get task from the company like theBigWord?

Be careful what you wish for or you may regret it. But you have several possibilities for contacting any agency.

Probably the most common way is to reply to a public job posting. Those who can see the contact details have already passed some filters set by the agency (language pair, for example), so they're more likely to be interested in you. The big agencies usually post jobs very frequently.

If you can't wait then, as a paying member of ProZ.com, you can search for specific agencies by name on the BB. If you're happy with their rating and comments from other translators, and you still want to apply, then you'll find links to their website and their ProZ.com primary profile in the box at the top-right of the screen. Either or both of those may well provide you with their preferred method of contact. Nowadays, it's often via a special form on their website. You could also send a message directly to the primary profile, but personally I would avoid contacting them in any but their preferred manner otherwise they could well blacklist you for annoying them.

Now my account type is "Freelance translator and/or interpreter". Do I need to set my account type as "agency/company"?

No, you have the correct account type for an independent translator.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Big? Sep 27, 2017

Big is not always beautiful; it can just increase the size and number of the problems.

As for changing from freelance to agency, no, that would not be correct. Freelancers work for clients, who can be direct clients or agencies. Agencies take percentages for organising, managing, distributing and checking work to a network of professionals they work with. Those professionals are usually working to/from a number of different languages. As an agent, your client is the final client and
... See more
Big is not always beautiful; it can just increase the size and number of the problems.

As for changing from freelance to agency, no, that would not be correct. Freelancers work for clients, who can be direct clients or agencies. Agencies take percentages for organising, managing, distributing and checking work to a network of professionals they work with. Those professionals are usually working to/from a number of different languages. As an agent, your client is the final client and you are responsible for the finished product you return to the client. It needs excellent management skills, solid financial management and a whole host of other skills too.
Also, an agent has to pay the translator, even if the client does not pay the agent. Or at least, that is what he agent is supposed to do, as a number try to use the excuse that the client has not paid them as a reason not to pay the translator. Whether that is true or not, the agent still (theoretically) has to pay the translator. It is one of the risks of being an intermediary, and (supposed to be) one of the protections for a freelancer working for an agent.

You should not hold yourself out to be an agent if you are not officially working as an agent.

[Edited at 2017-09-27 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Antony Rudakevich
Antony Rudakevich
Belarus
Local time: 02:23
English to Russian
+ ...
One year is very little term. Sep 27, 2017

One year is very little term. If you think big company will pay you more then you are wrong. Better work with that campany who want to work with you. Now you have to get more experience.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
German to English
+ ...
Why would you want to? Sep 30, 2017

There is nothing special or better about "big". It can even be a disadvantage. Some of the "big" companies got that way by exploiting translators. Some of my best customers among agencies are small. In fact, some of my best end client customers are small (and some are bigger or big). What you want are GOOD customers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How I can get order from big company or clients?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »