(Japanese-Eng) Switching pay method from per target word to source character: How to convert rates?
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 05:00
Japanese to English
Aug 28, 2017

A client of mine and I have a contract in which I am paid per target word. We have mutually agreed to switch to payment per source character for future projects.

I was being paid $0.20 per target English word for documents with less formatting, and $0.25 per target word for those with more formatting. Could you help me come up with equivalent rates when charging per Japanese source character?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Divide by 2.2 Aug 29, 2017

FreelanceBass wrote:
I was being paid $0.20 per target English word for documents with less formatting, and $0.25 per target word for those with more formatting. Could you help me come up with equivalent rates when charging per Japanese source character?

I estimate that for the work that *I* do (YMMV), there are 2.2 Japanese characters for every English word, or to put it another way, about 450 English words for every 1,000 Japanese characters. Obviously, it will vary depending on the type of project. So, dividing $0.20 by 2.2 gets you $0.09 per character. Personally I wouldn't work for that, but $0.25 would be equivalent to $0.11 per character, which gets into the low end of my "acceptable" range.

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(Japanese-Eng) Switching pay method from per target word to source character: How to convert rates?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »