Reasonable J-E technical translation rates per source character? (Auto)
Thread poster: FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
FreelanceBass
United States
Local time: 04:11
Japanese to English
Aug 23, 2017

I will be translating a 50+ page Japanese technical auto manual into English, and the client would like an estimate. The material is fairly esoteric which would justify charging a bit more, but I'm a relative newcomer to the field which would justify charging a bit less... though I'll be doing more work on research, etc. than someone more experienced. I'd like to charge per source character, since it seems simplest to estimate.

I have talked with two colleagues about rates so far. T
... See more
I will be translating a 50+ page Japanese technical auto manual into English, and the client would like an estimate. The material is fairly esoteric which would justify charging a bit more, but I'm a relative newcomer to the field which would justify charging a bit less... though I'll be doing more work on research, etc. than someone more experienced. I'd like to charge per source character, since it seems simplest to estimate.

I have talked with two colleagues about rates so far. The rates they suggested differ wildly from each other ($.07 per source character vs $.15 per source character), and to pick one over the other would double or halve the amount of money I will be paid! I want to give the client a fair price but also don't to set an overly low rate which will be difficult to raise for future contracts.

Could any translators steer me in the right direction? Given my circumstances, how much would be an appropriate rate to ask for? The client is a bigger one, and has been reasonable and fair in its dealings with me thus far - they will probably go along with the rate I suggest so long as it is justifiable.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:11
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Start here Aug 24, 2017

FreelanceBass wrote:
Could any translators steer me in the right direction? Given my circumstances, how much would be an appropriate rate to ask for?

Read this first.

Don't charge them less because you think you are new to the game. Either you can do it or you can't. If you can't do it, make your apologies as gracefully as possible and decline the job. If you can do it, charge them them what an experienced translator would charge them.

Regards,
Dan

logan2
logan2
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Reasonable rates My work. Sep 18, 2017

Hello FreelanceBass,
I'm also a newcomer in freelancing any started learning new skills of SEO and web development, and I have also created one site for only practical purpose and looking for some new projects for websites and recently have one.
But the main problem is what is the rate I can charge them as I am new in this field and don't know what to charge?
Do I charge them as professional or give them a bit relaxation.

[Edited at 2017-09-19 11:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reasonable J-E technical translation rates per source character? (Auto)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »