Can't seem to get spellcheck to work in MemoQ 9.6
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2021

Have current version of Open Office with working dictionaries and MS Office 2010 (newer versions are slow-loading resource hogs) with additional dictionaries installed. Spell checkers work in both.

Memoq should work with those...Nope

Tried installing and importing new dictionaries... hunspell or something iirc...

Still nope.

What gives? Any tips or suggestions? Getting real tired of select all ctrl-c ctrl-v into Office 2010, yeah it works, but
... See more
Have current version of Open Office with working dictionaries and MS Office 2010 (newer versions are slow-loading resource hogs) with additional dictionaries installed. Spell checkers work in both.

Memoq should work with those...Nope

Tried installing and importing new dictionaries... hunspell or something iirc...

Still nope.

What gives? Any tips or suggestions? Getting real tired of select all ctrl-c ctrl-v into Office 2010, yeah it works, but finding the actual segment the errors came from to manually change them can be a hassle.

Especially since it is usually just UK vs. US stuff from shared TMs.
Collapse

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
The problem is in MS Office Apr 1, 2021

I had the same problem and I got into contact with memoQ support. They said that most likely the problem was with my MS Office. This is what they wrote to me:
It might have to do with a discrepancy between Word being 32 bit version whereas memoQ being a 64 bit version.
You could try to install the 64 bit version of Word instead of the 32 bit (if you have a 32 bit version).
Another advice was:
- Close memoQ.
- Open the "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ" fold
... See more
I had the same problem and I got into contact with memoQ support. They said that most likely the problem was with my MS Office. This is what they wrote to me:
It might have to do with a discrepancy between Word being 32 bit version whereas memoQ being a 64 bit version.
You could try to install the 64 bit version of Word instead of the 32 bit (if you have a 32 bit version).
Another advice was:
- Close memoQ.
- Open the "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ" folder. (This is a hidden folder by default, you need to enable the "Show hidden files and folders" option in Windows.)
- Delete the DockLayoutConfigs.bin; Preferences-editor.xml; Preferences-layout.xml; Preferences-lookup.xml files.
Hope it will help you
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have no idea how good or bad your advice is Apr 1, 2021

Inna Borymova wrote:

Another advice was:
- Close memoQ.
- Open the "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ" folder. (This is a hidden folder by default, you need to enable the "Show hidden files and folders" option in Windows.)
- Delete the DockLayoutConfigs.bin; Preferences-editor.xml; Preferences-layout.xml; Preferences-lookup.xml files.
Hope it will help you

BUT! Never ever delete-delete files from something you use to make money.

Create a subfolder and move them there instead.

Voila, reversibility!

[Edited at 2021-04-01 17:33 GMT]

Inna Borymova
Inna Borymova  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not quite Apr 1, 2021

I work in memoQ for one client only once in a while. After I deliver the file(s) my license expires and I happily uninstall memoQ from my computer. So I really do not care much about that folder...

Samuel Keating
Samuel Keating  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 22:37
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Hopes dashed Oct 6, 2022

Inna Borymova wrote:

Another advice was:
- Close memoQ.
Hope it will help you

Deleting those files made no difference for me.

Unfortunately, MemoQ is always going to say by default that "it's most likely a problem with MS Office."

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:37
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Try this Oct 7, 2022

I ran across this issue when using memoQ 8.3. The solution offered by Daniel Elrich on another forum topic (https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/350488-no_hunspell_no_word_what_am_i_doing_wrong.html) did the trick for me. Scroll down to the end of the first page and follow his instructions.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The poster asked to delete this post.
Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 23:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Presumably... Oct 11, 2022

...you've tried the available memoQ 'Options'?

BTW the spellchecker often cuts out on me while I'm working, but I can normally get it back by toggling the relevant button in the View pane.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't seem to get spellcheck to work in MemoQ 9.6

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »