Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 5, 2020

Hello everyone

1. A client of mine wants me to use tracked changes in MemoQwebtrans, but I'm going to check out the project in MemoQ. If I use tracked changes in MemoQ, will the tracked edits survive the transfer to MemoQwebtrans? I assume so, but I might as well ask.

2. I'm using bilingual review files exported from MemoQ, edited in MS Word. Do I have to use tracked changes in Word to ensure that the edits end up as tracked edits in MemoQ? I'd very much like to NOT
... See more
Hello everyone

1. A client of mine wants me to use tracked changes in MemoQwebtrans, but I'm going to check out the project in MemoQ. If I use tracked changes in MemoQ, will the tracked edits survive the transfer to MemoQwebtrans? I assume so, but I might as well ask.

2. I'm using bilingual review files exported from MemoQ, edited in MS Word. Do I have to use tracked changes in Word to ensure that the edits end up as tracked edits in MemoQ? I'd very much like to NOT use tracked changes in Word (the translation is a disaster, so it'll take me much longer to edit if I have to use tracked changes in Word). Is it possible to import a bilingual review file that does NOT use tracked changes, but have the edits imported as tracked in MemoQ?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
While I wait May 5, 2020

While I wait for answers from knowledgeable users, here's what I found (once only):

If I use tracked changes in MemoQ, will the tracked edits survive the transfer to MemoQwebtrans?

It would appear to be so. I used tracked changes in MemoQ, and when I confirmed the segments in MemoQ, and went to MemoQwebtrans editor, the segments were edited and the edits were tracked in the same way as they were tracked in MemoQ.

Is it possible to import a bilingual review file that does NOT use tracked changes, but have the edits imported as tracked in MemoQ?

My guess would be "yes", because when the bilingual review file is imported (this is called "update" in MemoQ), there is a question about whether you want to use tracked changes. In the end, I did use tracked changes in Word, but the way edits are tracked in Word differ from how they are tracked in MemoQ, which leads me to suspect that MemoQ accepts all edits first and then generates its own tracks based on the differences. These self-generated tracks are not always useful, so I think a good approach may be to send my Word file to the translator as well, so that he can see my edits.

Here is an example of my tracked edits in Word, and what MemoQ did to it:

tracked changes in memoq

This is the opposite of useful (in my humble opinion).

Chris Milne (X)
Chris Milne (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
German to English
+ ...
MemoQ Track changes May 5, 2020

Hi Samuel,

The changes you make in the checked out package will definitely be reflected in the webTrans version. However, it is worth double checking the version of the file that comparisons are being made against before getting started or uploading the proofread version as this seems to change between webTrans and the desktop version and can make cause confusion for PMs/Reviewers 2s.

I am less sure about number 2 but I believe that bilingual review files only read th
... See more
Hi Samuel,

The changes you make in the checked out package will definitely be reflected in the webTrans version. However, it is worth double checking the version of the file that comparisons are being made against before getting started or uploading the proofread version as this seems to change between webTrans and the desktop version and can make cause confusion for PMs/Reviewers 2s.

I am less sure about number 2 but I believe that bilingual review files only read the file extensions and data for matching up segments when importing. Just be careful not to break any tags or change the order of anything by accident and the changes should be tracked when you import the review file. Definitely not as sure about this though.

Hope that helps!

Chris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual review, how to ensure tracked changes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »