Export aligned word docs as return package/Trados compatible bilingual?
Thread poster: Rory Andrew Gale
Rory Andrew Gale
Rory Andrew Gale  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:27
French to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2020

I want to use MemoQ to send return packages but actually just do the translation myself on Word as I find it much faster and easier.

Therefore, what I want to do is to align the original source word document with my target word document and then export it as a return package and/or bilingual xliff file which is compatible with the agency's Trados.

Simple right? Apparently not. I got as far as doing the alignment easily enough by creating a LiveDoc after following this
... See more
I want to use MemoQ to send return packages but actually just do the translation myself on Word as I find it much faster and easier.

Therefore, what I want to do is to align the original source word document with my target word document and then export it as a return package and/or bilingual xliff file which is compatible with the agency's Trados.

Simple right? Apparently not. I got as far as doing the alignment easily enough by creating a LiveDoc after following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS1PRTu2w9A but then could only export it as a TM.

When I go to the 'documents' tab at the top and click on either 'Export (Stored Path) / Export (Dialog) or Export Bilingual' nothing happens. Do I need to somehow 'finish' the project off? Is it a bug? I just downloaded the latest update of 9.0. Bear in mind that I have not created a MemoQ 'project' out of it - I simply want to align the files then export them to send back to the agency.

I consulted this page: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/bilingual-export-wizard.html but the simple fact of the matter is that the Bilingual Export Wizard just doesn't pop up when I click on the Export button.

After HOURS of fiddling around I had to resort to copying each segment one by one into the Trados import file which completely defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do! If I could copy them all across in one fell swoop then it would still save me time but I had to do them all individually - hundreds and hundreds of them!

Please help!!

Screenshot attached.
MemoQ proz error
Collapse

LeoM1905
LeoM1905
Taiwan
Pre-translate empty source file with LiveDoc TM Mar 12, 2020

If you have an empty source file, maybe you can use LiveDoc-made TM to pre-translate it. Then you can export a. xliff file or return package (if you have the project package to import into memoQ).

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
create a project Mar 12, 2020

You will need to create a project in MemoQ and then, after opening it for translation and having your LiveDoc and/or TM open, click on Preparation and then Pretranslate. It should then populate all your segments, and then you can export it as a bilingual file.

This should not take very long, but I do recommend skimming your populated segments to make sure it didn´t put in something else. For example, putting in "Grado:" when you need "Calificación:" for the source "Grade:" on
... See more
You will need to create a project in MemoQ and then, after opening it for translation and having your LiveDoc and/or TM open, click on Preparation and then Pretranslate. It should then populate all your segments, and then you can export it as a bilingual file.

This should not take very long, but I do recommend skimming your populated segments to make sure it didn´t put in something else. For example, putting in "Grado:" when you need "Calificación:" for the source "Grade:" on a line.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export aligned word docs as return package/Trados compatible bilingual?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »