Deema Al-Mohammad
Deema Al-Mohammad  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:31
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2020

Hello,

I'm assigning a project for translation from English to Japanese but I'm struggling to figure out how to allow the linguist:

a) to type in Japanese on the memoQ online version (even though Japanese is selected on her keyboard and the project languages are correct)
b) to type furigana as well as kanji

Thanks in advance!

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
What? Mar 10, 2020

I don't understand. Don't you just switch to Japanese and start typing?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OS/inputh method/browser Mar 11, 2020

You have to understand one thing: your translator does not actually work in memoQ, but works in a web browser. Problems may arise because of sufficiently complex interactions of at least three things on the translator’s side: operating system, input method, browser. For further advise, ask a good question.

Deema Al-Mohammad
United Kingdom
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately Mar 11, 2020

Unfortunately it isn’t as simple as that, Lincoln.

Esperantisto, I would be interested to hear more? The link you sent seems to have expired?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The link works Mar 11, 2020

The link works for me (that’s why I have provided it). If there is a problem opening the site, ask your system administrator or Internet provider support.

Deema Al-Mohammad wrote:

Unfortunately it isn’t as simple as that, Lincoln.

Unless your ask a good question providing relevant information (inter alia, what exactly is not simple as that), hardly anyone will be able to give meaningful advise.

[Адрэдагавана 2020-03-11 09:01 GMT]

Deema Al-Mohammad
United Kingdom
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mar 11, 2020

[Edited at 2020-03-11 14:57 GMT]

Deema Al-Mohammad
United Kingdom
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How this was solved Apr 9, 2020

For anyone interested in the solutions to these problems please see below:

a) The reason the linguist was not able to type Japanese in the web version of memoQ was because she was using Safari. After downloading Google Chrome she was able to type in Japanese.

b) This is not a very elegant solution, but it prevents errors from occuring.

Furigana is part of a text called "ruby" text, which just means it goes on top of the main text. You should type it like t
... See more
For anyone interested in the solutions to these problems please see below:

a) The reason the linguist was not able to type Japanese in the web version of memoQ was because she was using Safari. After downloading Google Chrome she was able to type in Japanese.

b) This is not a very elegant solution, but it prevents errors from occuring.

Furigana is part of a text called "ruby" text, which just means it goes on top of the main text. You should type it like this: MAIN TEXT ( FURIGANA )

Once you have typed it once, you can use the tags and entities feature and then copy this tag sequence for every instance of furigana.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to type furigana in MemoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »