Which importing settings to import a Trados TMX into MemoQ 9.1?
Thread poster: Aude De Lucia
Aude De Lucia
Aude De Lucia  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
Italian to French
+ ...
Nov 12, 2019

Hi,
I'm new to memoQ. I'm importing a TMX coming from SDL and I'm not sure of the importing settings I should use because:
- in the help here
https://help.memoq.com/current/en/Places/translation-memory-tmx-import-settings.html
it says that "process TRADOS TMX for best results in memoQ" is for files coming from Trados Translator'
... See more
Hi,
I'm new to memoQ. I'm importing a TMX coming from SDL and I'm not sure of the importing settings I should use because:
- in the help here
https://help.memoq.com/current/en/Places/translation-memory-tmx-import-settings.html
it says that "process TRADOS TMX for best results in memoQ" is for files coming from Trados Translator's Workbench 2007 or earlier" => so, do I have to understand, not for Trados most recent version files? Which import options should I then select, instead?

- on the contrary, in this Help on MemoQ 2015
https://help.memoq.com/2015-100/en/index.html?tmx_import_settings_dialog.html
it says: "Process TRADOS TMX for best results in memoQ: [...] When turned on, memoQ will assume that the TMX file being imported comes from SDL Trados™, and will properly import Trados-specific formatting such as inline tags and RTF formatting codes"

Thanks for your help
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version of Trados? Nov 12, 2019

Aude De Lucia wrote:
I'm importing a TMX coming from SDL...

Which version of Trados does this TMX file come from? Are you an experienced user of Trados?

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
newer than 2007 Nov 12, 2019

"Process TRADOS TMX for best results in memoQ" if the Trados is later than 2007. It worked for me!

Aude De Lucia
Aude De Lucia  Identity Verified
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TMX file properties indicate "Creation tool: SDL Language Platform 8.1" Nov 13, 2019

Thank you Samuel and MollyRose. No, I'm not an experienced user of Trados, it's a TMX I have received. The file properties indicate "Creation tool: SDL Language Platform 8.1"

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hmmm... Nov 13, 2019

Aude De Lucia wrote:
The file properties indicate "Creation tool: SDL Language Platform 8.1"

I don't know what that means. I posted a question to the official forum in the mean time:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/general/27670/which-tool-is-sdl-language-platform-8-1

It is my understanding from the two pages that you link to that you should only worry about whether to choose the "Trados" option during TMX import if you are also going to be working on TTX files as the source files. If your source files are not TTX files, then I suspect you can import the TMX files simply with none of the special options selected.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which importing settings to import a Trados TMX into MemoQ 9.1?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »