Thread poster: Julie Pigeon
Julie Pigeon
Julie Pigeon
Canada
Local time: 01:02
English to French
Oct 8, 2019

Hello dear memoQ users!

I'm trying to import a bilingual xml file in memoQ (7.8.175) using the Multilingual XML filter.

In the Import rules tab:
memoQ xml import

I've clicked on 'loc' for the 'XPath for selected row' and I get /Proj[1]/File[1]/TextItem[1]/TranslationSet[1]/base[1]/@loc

In memoQ help (https://help.memoq.com/current/en/Places/xml-import-rules.html), they say to edit the 'Content XPath' box from:
/doc[1]/entry[1]/string[1]
to:
//entry/string[@lang="de"] (where DE is the source text).

Following the same logic, I should edit my Content XPath for //TranslationSet/base/[@loc="en"]

I did the same for FR-CA: //TranslationSet/tran/[@loc="fr-CA"]

But it's not working. MemoQ tells me that I need to set-up at least one source language and one target language.

Any idea on this? The memoQ help doesn't explain how they came to the edit they suggest.

Many thanks!

Julie

Fabian Kombeny
Fabian Kombeny
Germany
Languages must fit Nov 29, 2019

Hi Julie,

First, to help you sort things out:
1- If the nodes are marked correctly in your preview, and
2- your preview coincide with the files in your project,
3- then, there are no errors in your xpath expressions.

I recommended to test your expressions on interactive websites like http://xpather.com/

I presume that the error you encounter occurs because the
... See more
Hi Julie,

First, to help you sort things out:
1- If the nodes are marked correctly in your preview, and
2- your preview coincide with the files in your project,
3- then, there are no errors in your xpath expressions.

I recommended to test your expressions on interactive websites like http://xpather.com/

I presume that the error you encounter occurs because the language in the filter does not fit the language in the project. Meaning, if you have French Canada in the filter, FR Canada must be selected in the project. The same goes for English.

Regards,
Fabian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import xml file in memoQ with Multilingual XML filter

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »