Julie Bonneau  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:33
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 8, 2018

Hi,

As mentioned in the title, I have some trouble when I want to export an alignment I created to a TM. I aligned the texts in LiveDocs, the alignment looks OK, but when I click on "export to a TM", there are no TMs in the selection field... I don't understand why, because I created a new TM for that purpose and I checked that all the parameters are correct (same languages, no "read-only" mode, etc.). Any idea where the problem comes from?

Than you for your help!

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
just curious to know why Feb 8, 2018

Hello Julie, when I first started using memoQ I would do this occasionally, but I soon came to realise that it's only useful if you want to use the TM in another CAT application. Is that the case for you?

Julie Bonneau
France
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not really! Feb 8, 2018

Actually, I would like to do this because I have some old translations in my folders, they are "Word to Word" translations, I didn't use a CAT tool to do them, so the idea was to import the source and target Word files, to align them to obtain a bilingual file and then to export it to a brand new TM that I would be able to use for further translations.

Do you think it's a good idea? Is it a better way to do this? I know quite well the basic functions of MemoQ but I've never used th
... See more
Actually, I would like to do this because I have some old translations in my folders, they are "Word to Word" translations, I didn't use a CAT tool to do them, so the idea was to import the source and target Word files, to align them to obtain a bilingual file and then to export it to a brand new TM that I would be able to use for further translations.

Do you think it's a good idea? Is it a better way to do this? I know quite well the basic functions of MemoQ but I've never used the LiveDocs system before, so maybe I'm not doing it the right way...
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Livedocs Feb 8, 2018

Hello Julie,
Did you make sure to go to the Alignment tab and "Confirm all AutoLinks"? Before "Export to TM"?
My two cents

Julie Bonneau
France
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Feb 8, 2018

Yes Christophe, I did it, the alignment looks fine but the export remains impossible. I don't receive any error message from the software so I really don't know where the problem comes from...

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
no need for a TM Feb 8, 2018

the beauty of LiveDocs is that for memoQ they work exactly like a TM but crucially they have context.
Also if the alignment is a bit inaccurate you can correct it in ten seconds, whereas a TM is practically impossible to correct.

I would stop there if I were you, use the alignments in memoQ and see how it goes. As I said before, I've not bothered converting LiveDocs to TMs for years, as there is no advantage from it if you're going to be using memoQ

Julie Bonneau
France
Member (2022)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally working! Feb 19, 2018

Thank you all for your help, finally MemoQ decided that nothing was going wrong and that it had no reason to bother me, so everything is working perfectly now! I will try to align some texts in a LiveDocs base and to use it as a TM to see if it's more convenient or not.

Stepan Opalev
Stepan Opalev
United States
Local time: 15:33
English to Russian
project should be opened to write to a tm Feb 20, 2018

I believe if you open Livedocs from Resource console prior to opening a project, it doesn't see any TMs. So if you want to write to a TM, open a project that has a corresponding TM attached.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export aligned texts (LiveDocs) to a TM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »