Patricia Lyra
Patricia Lyra  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 19, 2010

Hello,

I am new to Memoq and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a project to work with two source languages.
I have a project which requires me to translate from English to Portuguese and Spanish to Portuguese (I have documents in English, in Spanish and some in both).

Thanks for any help

Patricia

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two projects Aug 19, 2010

Patricia Lyra wrote:
I am new to Memoq and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a project to work with two source languages.
I have a project which requires me to translate from English to Portuguese and Spanish to Portuguese (I have documents in English, in Spanish and some in both).

It is not possible as far as I know. Maybe the people at Kilgray can correct me on this, but as far as I am aware you need to create one project per source language. We also do English and Portuguese into Spanish for the same customer, but since each language pair has its memory, it is best to create two projects.

You can however use a multilingual termbase containing all three languages, i.e. the two source languages and the target language, and assign the same termbase to both projects (and of course feed the termbase while you work on each project).

Good luck!

Gusztáv Jánvári

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No sound way... Aug 19, 2010

Patricia Lyra wrote:

IMO, no simple sound way.
No CAT tool on the market is able to distinguish the source language in multilingual dcocuments. so, I suppose, the best way is to tweak MQ and declare both source languages as a fake one.

The Tomás' solution may work if both languages are separated enough.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-19 18:08 GMT]

Patricia Lyra
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Documents written in English and Spanish Aug 19, 2010

Thanks for your quick reply. I am setting up the multilingual termbase as you suggested, that should make the task easier.

What do you think is the best way to work with the documents which use both source languages? Translate one language, export the document and import it in the other language's project?

Thanks again,

Patricia

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
It depends... Aug 19, 2010

Patricia Lyra wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I am setting up the multilingual termbase as you suggested, that should make the task easier.

What do you think is the best way to work with the documents which use both source languages? Translate one language, export the document and import it in the other language's project?

Yes. logically it may work but in seme cases it will be easier to fool MQ and mske him think it has only one source language.
This approach is not "clean" but it may be faster.
It depends heavily of your job.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-19 18:13 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Styles Aug 19, 2010

What I would do (assuming the documents are in Word) is to assign a different style to each language (two search and replace operations would achieve that). Then I could import the document into two different projects first setting one style as untranslatable, then the other.

T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Let's have fun with the "Views"... Aug 20, 2010

I try to add another solution to the good ones already provided by my expert colleagues...

Try this...
  • Create the English > Portuguese project in memoQ (with Eng>Por TM) and import the English files and the "mixed" ones.
  • Go throughout the "mixed" files and insert a comment (let' say just a letter, like "S") into the Spanish segments
  • Se... See more
  • I try to add another solution to the good ones already provided by my expert colleagues...

Try this...
  • Create the English > Portuguese project in memoQ (with Eng>Por TM) and import the English files and the "mixed" ones.
  • Go throughout the "mixed" files and insert a comment (let' say just a letter, like "S") into the Spanish segments
  • Select all of the "mixed" documents in the project and click "Create a View"; name it, let's say "Spanish segments" and then - in the section "Filter by segment status" - select "Show only segments that are ..." + "Commented".
  • Export this view as a MBD bilingual document
  • Create the Spanish > Portuguese project in memoQ (with Spa>Por TM) and import all of the Spanish document plus the freshly created view (i.e. MBD file).
  • Translate the Spanish > Portuguese documents and then export the MBD, importing it back (Import/Update) into the original (Eng>Por) project.

...You will then have:
  • The documents translated, re-assemblede and ready to be exported.
  • 2 different TMs, one for each language pair
  • If you will "Confirm and Update Rows" of the translated & reimported view into the Eng > Por project, you will also have a TM with both English and Spanish > Portuguese, if this is of any use to you/your client.

Enjoy
    RR ▲ Collapse

•  
    Patricia Lyra
    Brazil
    English to Portuguese
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thank you Aug 20, 2010

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will try them and let you know which one works the best.

Patricia.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
    Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
    Spain
    Member (2005)
    English to Spanish
    + ...
    Impressive Aug 21, 2010

Renato Renno wrote:
    I try to add another solution to the good ones already provided by my expert colleagues...

Indeed! Wow. I'm impressed! Never thought of this possibility, but looks perfectly fine to me!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
    Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
    Thailand
    Local time: 16:22
    English to Thai
    + ...
    CAT utility Aug 21, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
    Renato Renno wrote:

Indeed! Wow. I'm impressed! Never thought of this possibility, but looks perfectly fine to me!

I remind that certain CATs have utility to convert source language or target language freely. This is easier for European languages since Roman alphabets are used. You can tweak the file under translation with that convenient utility program.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Angel Llacuna
    Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
    Spain
    English to Spanish
    Jun 22, 2018

[Edited at 2018-06-22 09:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two source languages

Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »