Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2017

Hi All,

You want to cite the name of global companies for which you translated VIA translation agencies, in your project history or CV (i.e. "I translated ... words for ... company/brand).

Do you think it is necessary to seek consent from someone (either from the global X company or the translation agency) for merely mentioning the name of that global company, without giving any details of the project?

Thanks,
Zeki

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:43
English to Italian
Definitely Sep 15, 2017

Zeki Guler wrote:

You want to cite the name of global companies for which you translated VIA translation agencies, in your project history or CV (i.e. "I translated ... words for ... company/brand).

Do you think it is necessary to seek consent from someone (either from the global X company or the translation agency) for merely mentioning the name of that global company, without giving any details of the project?

Ask permission to the agency, not the end-client (contacting them is usually an explicit breach of non-disclosure clauses). Not being able to mention end-clients/products is quite a PITA, but unfortunately several agencies seem to be unwilling to grant permission, although that is often not explicitly/clearly mentioned in their NDAs (in my experience).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Sep 15, 2017

If you did, you did.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You can't mention **whom** you worked for, but... Sep 15, 2017

Zeki Guler wrote:
E.g. I translated e.g. 100 000 words for e.g. Coca-Cola..

No, you can't say that you translated 100 000 words "for" Coca-Cola, but you can say that you translated 100 000 "about" Coca-Cola.

Zeki Güler
Zeki Güler  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I translated their website Sep 17, 2017

Can I not do it even if I translated the website (or the app) of that global company, via a translation agency?

Samuel Murray wrote:

Zeki Guler wrote:
E.g. I translated e.g. 100 000 words for e.g. Coca-Cola..

No, you can't say that you translated 100 000 words "for" Coca-Cola, but you can say that you translated 100 000 "about" Coca-Cola.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
German to English
Prestige is not transferrable and ... Sep 17, 2017

... nobody cares.
I've translated documents relating to high-prestige luxury vehicles as well as bog-standard cars. In discussion with agencies, I've never been asked about the marques, because they simply don't care. Their queries have centered around my general knowledge of safety systems, lighting and infotainment systems, among other things. Unless a potential client needs someone with specific knowledge of the Splashmatic Picasso XP-101 painting robot, you're more likely to attract c
... See more
... nobody cares.
I've translated documents relating to high-prestige luxury vehicles as well as bog-standard cars. In discussion with agencies, I've never been asked about the marques, because they simply don't care. Their queries have centered around my general knowledge of safety systems, lighting and infotainment systems, among other things. Unless a potential client needs someone with specific knowledge of the Splashmatic Picasso XP-101 painting robot, you're more likely to attract customers with a general knowledge of robotic painting systems, for example.

There are agencies known for the high quality of their product and enjoy prestige in the industry. You might more productively ask your agency clients whether you can use them as a reference (sometimes you can, sometimes not), instead of citing their clients. If you are looking to set yourself apart because of your client base, this may be the first place to start.
Collapse

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 04:43
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Basically, you cannot mention the name of the client... Sep 18, 2017

Kevin Fulton wrote:

... nobody cares.
I've translated documents relating to high-prestige luxury vehicles as well as bog-standard cars. In discussion with agencies, I've never been asked about the marques, because they simply don't care. Their queries have centered around my general knowledge of safety systems, lighting and infotainment systems, among other things. Unless a potential client needs someone with specific knowledge of the Splashmatic Picasso XP-101 painting robot, you're more likely to attract customers with a general knowledge of robotic painting systems, for example.

There are agencies known for the high quality of their product and enjoy prestige in the industry. You might more productively ask your agency clients whether you can use them as a reference (sometimes you can, sometimes not), instead of citing their clients. If you are looking to set yourself apart because of your client base, this may be the first place to start.

But I agree with Kevin's opinion.

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 21:43
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
I think yes Sep 18, 2017

Zeki Guler wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks,
Zeki

I think yes, especially If you have signed a Non Disclosure Agreement.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Citing the name of the client company in Project History

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »