Thread poster: Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni
Serena Marangoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:59
English to Italian
+ ...
May 18, 2017

This past weekend I've been to an event for professionals in my field. I've handed business cards to the companies who might be interested in my services, and received very good feedback. I spent sometime explaining what I do and how I do it, and most people were interested (there are not many translators who specialize in this field and mistakes are very common) and most stored my card in their folders adding a note to call me back.

How do you think it's best to follow up on this?
... See more
This past weekend I've been to an event for professionals in my field. I've handed business cards to the companies who might be interested in my services, and received very good feedback. I spent sometime explaining what I do and how I do it, and most people were interested (there are not many translators who specialize in this field and mistakes are very common) and most stored my card in their folders adding a note to call me back.

How do you think it's best to follow up on this? How soon would you do it? What should I write to have a chance to turn these connections into business relations, without sounding pushy?

Ps: Funniest replies:
"we handle all the translation by ourselves because the CEO is from the UK." From an Italian company who needed EN>IT and whose product descriptions in Italian were disastrous.
"We use Google translate. It works and it's free" "What about the quality?" Shoulder shrug...
I didn't look at this company's translations as I ran away...

[Modificato alle 2017-05-18 08:58 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
:D May 19, 2017

Serena Marangoni wrote:

Ps: Funniest replies:
"we handle all the translation by ourselves because the CEO is from the UK." From an Italian company who needed EN>IT and whose product descriptions in Italian were disastrous.
"We use Google translate. It works and it's free" "What about the quality?" Shoulder shrug...
I didn't look at this company's translations as I ran away...

[Modificato alle 2017-05-18 08:58 GMT]

Now, who could compete with Google Translate? Their output is so hilarious, no human would be able to reach their absolute bottom standards.

On the more serious side, give them about 10 - 14 days to get back with you. If they don't, you could send them an email asking if you might perhaps have to register on their website to be accepted as a translator. If you don't hear from them within, let's say, 1 - 2 months, then just forget them.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
About a week, then after a month, then after a year May 19, 2017

I would go the week-month-year route. I.e. contact them a week after the event. No interest? Then thank them kindly for their time and contact them a year later just in case.

If in the contact after a week they show some interest or potential interest, contact them again after a month and try to follow up without being pushy.

People are usually busy, so it makes sense to refer to the previous contact, to remind people of who you are and what you discussed last time. Try
... See more
I would go the week-month-year route. I.e. contact them a week after the event. No interest? Then thank them kindly for their time and contact them a year later just in case.

If in the contact after a week they show some interest or potential interest, contact them again after a month and try to follow up without being pushy.

People are usually busy, so it makes sense to refer to the previous contact, to remind people of who you are and what you discussed last time. Try to make the message as personal and specific as possible, avoiding template message and long (and boring) enumerations of your qualities as a translator.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Following up after introduction

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »