Thread poster: Kevin Dunn (X)
Kevin Dunn (X)
Kevin Dunn (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2017

Hi all,

I've just finished a first go at my website (it's amazing how much longer it takes than you expect...) and I was wondering if I could request feedback from the Proz hivemind?

kgdtranslation.com

I'm trying to be professional while also inserting a little bit of personality... I'm not sure how well I've achieved that. Any and all feedback, especially negative feedback, is appreciated!

I'm going to create a Spanish mirror site, but want to
... See more
Hi all,

I've just finished a first go at my website (it's amazing how much longer it takes than you expect...) and I was wondering if I could request feedback from the Proz hivemind?

kgdtranslation.com

I'm trying to be professional while also inserting a little bit of personality... I'm not sure how well I've achieved that. Any and all feedback, especially negative feedback, is appreciated!

I'm going to create a Spanish mirror site, but want to get the English locked in first.

Thank you!

[Edited at 2017-03-29 19:53 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:43
Danish to English
+ ...
Site name Mar 29, 2017

My first suggestion is to get the spelling of your site right, even if this is just a forum.

Phrase9
Phrase9  Identity Verified
South Africa
Arabic to English
Nice Mar 29, 2017

Hey Kevin

Besides my translation agency, I also run a multilingual DIY website builder at http://panther.ws so web design is an interest of mine.

I think your website is clear and to the point. Minimalism is the way to go and you have achieved that. I like that you have an upload form.

If I may offer three bits of advice/constructive criticism:

1. Perhaps consider sho
... See more
Hey Kevin

Besides my translation agency, I also run a multilingual DIY website builder at http://panther.ws so web design is an interest of mine.

I think your website is clear and to the point. Minimalism is the way to go and you have achieved that. I like that you have an upload form.

If I may offer three bits of advice/constructive criticism:

1. Perhaps consider showing your rates.
2. I personally don't like the idea of "full money back guarantee". You may regret that down the line.
3. I know the pic of your feet up is meant to show some light-hearted personality to your website, but depending on your target client region, a picture of feet up can come across as either offensive or lazy.

All in all a nice website though. Congratulations!
Collapse

Kevin Dunn (X)
Kevin Dunn (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good catch Mar 29, 2017

Hoooly cow, yes, thanks Thomas. Getting the spelling of the URL right is definitely a good place to start. Error corrected.

Thanks, Phrase9, for your thoughts! The feet and pretzel picture are two aspects that I'm very on the fence about, interested in other folks' thoughts.

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
It's a good website Mar 29, 2017

The only sentence that struck me as somewhat odd was "I have interests and hobbies." Don't we all? It just sounds peculiar if you don't say what they are (e.g. "When I'm not working, I like ...").

And I agree that promising a full refund if the customer isn't happy is asking for trouble, especially as there is no objective means of verifying whether there unhappiness is justified - somebody at some point is going to come up with a completely trumped-up reason for not being happy and
... See more
The only sentence that struck me as somewhat odd was "I have interests and hobbies." Don't we all? It just sounds peculiar if you don't say what they are (e.g. "When I'm not working, I like ...").

And I agree that promising a full refund if the customer isn't happy is asking for trouble, especially as there is no objective means of verifying whether there unhappiness is justified - somebody at some point is going to come up with a completely trumped-up reason for not being happy and you will have no grounds for refusing them the full refund that they want. In addition, the fact that you emphasise that guarantee repeatedly almost makes it sound as though you expect people to be dissatisfied. I think you should instead convey the impression that your translations are so good that people won't have reason to be unhappy.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Some notes Mar 29, 2017

I agree with Phrase9 about the feet. It's clear how you want to present your personality, and that's fine, but the photo with your feet could convey an image of laziness.

I also tend to agree that maybe you should show your prices. Remember the saying "if you have to ask, you can’t afford it". Potential clients will eventually find out anyway.

"I still do that, but it doesn’t pay so well, so now I translate for capitalists, too!" I would strongly suggest that you av
... See more
I agree with Phrase9 about the feet. It's clear how you want to present your personality, and that's fine, but the photo with your feet could convey an image of laziness.

I also tend to agree that maybe you should show your prices. Remember the saying "if you have to ask, you can’t afford it". Potential clients will eventually find out anyway.

"I still do that, but it doesn’t pay so well, so now I translate for capitalists, too!" I would strongly suggest that you avoid anything with potential political connotations. It has nothing to do with translation, and it doesn't give a professional impression. Something else is that "I want more money" probably isn't the best sales argument.

"I have interests and hobbies.": If you don't mention them, you might as well leave this out.

"unlike dubious low-cost providers you’ll find online": Even if you're correct, it's probably not a good idea to snipe at colleagues, even in the low end. Some could consider it arrogant or haughty.

"All of my translations are revised by a native speaker of English (me) and a native speaker of Spanish (somebody else). This ensures that all terminology is accurate": As we all know, being native in a language does not in itself ensure that anything is accurate. It takes a lot more. Maybe you can find a wording that doesn't overstretch the logical argument.

Your grey font seems too light for comfortable reading. It doesn't give enough contrast. I know grey is fashionable on websites, but think of us old geezers whose eyesight may no longer be what it was.

All in all, the site looks welcoming and gives a professional impression. My comments here are minor points in the big picture.

Now, since you mention perfection, it's always good fun to go nitpicking for even the tiniest mistake, and it wasn't in vain:

"Exhibitions aren’t written by just one person". Can you write an exhibition? Can you write a building?

"I strongly recommend getting the documents translated by a native-speaker of the target language.": There shouldn't be a hyphen there.

"I’ve translated for a number of scholars, universities and academic institution": Probably more than one institution.

But even the best novel usually has one or two errors.

Good luck finding well-paying clients in this market. It's an uphill struggle.
Collapse

Kevin Dunn (X)
Kevin Dunn (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 29, 2017

Thank you all for the helpful feedback! With the feet, "I have interests and hobbies," "capitalists too!" etc. I was going trying to be a little funny--I'm glad that you all confirmed for me that the humor doesn't quite land before clients saw it.

I've made most of the changes you all recommended--good eye, Thomas!

If any late(r)-comers to this forum have any additional feedback, I'd be happy to hear it.

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
Local time: 14:43
English to German
Good website! Mar 30, 2017

Just one little thing I've noticed: I think "I’ve translated and certified official *document* for hundreds of clients" should be plural

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
I love it Mar 30, 2017

I think it's beautiful and utterly charming. I love it.

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
My 2 cents Mar 30, 2017

Kevin, this is a very beautifully crafted website. Because we are talking about suggestions, I would like to see an official picture which gives more credibility ( at least a tie and shirt ), but with the same confident smile. The rates are not mentioned at least a range of the usual rates. I'm also thinking about some references with short oppinions just to highlight your professionalism.

Kevin Dunn (X)
Kevin Dunn (X)
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 30, 2017

Thanks, Fiona and Alice, for your feedback! (Fiona, I just checked out your own site and it's also quite nice!)

What's folks rationale for listing/not listing rates? I feel like most of the translators'/agencies' website that I've looked at don't list rates explicitly, but you all on this forum seem to think that it's a good idea, and I can think of a few arguments both for and against.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Listing rates Mar 30, 2017

Kevin Dunn wrote:

What's folks rationale for listing/not listing rates?

I think it's a good idea to list rates because it acts as a filter to those customers not willing to pay your prices. If you're uncomfortable with being tied down to a certain price with no room for negotiation, you can publish price range. I think it also shows that you work for professional rates and not for rock bottom prices. I also find myself becoming increasingly impatient with those who don't list their prices on their websites - I find myself thinking "What are they hiding?"

[Edited at 2017-03-30 17:19 GMT]

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Like it Mar 30, 2017

I like it.

With your Breze you should do German as well.

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
tie Mar 31, 2017

Alice Crisan wrote:

Kevin, this is a very beautifully crafted website. Because we are talking about suggestions, I would like to see an official picture which gives more credibility ( at least a tie and shirt ), but with the same confident smile. The rates are not mentioned at least a range of the usual rates. I'm also thinking about some references with short oppinions just to highlight your professionalism.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I like the picture. I'd be surprised to see a work-from-home translator in a tie and I'd be worried that the website was of some salesman who didn't know about _actual_ work ...

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Tie Mar 31, 2017

Mair A-W (PhD) wrote:

Alice Crisan wrote:

Kevin, this is a very beautifully crafted website. Because we are talking about suggestions, I would like to see an official picture which gives more credibility ( at least a tie and shirt ),

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I like the picture. I'd be surprised to see a work-from-home translator in a tie and I'd be worried that the website was of some salesman who didn't know about _actual_ work ...

I agree with Mair. Probably a cultural thing, as the Brits can be very fond of their ties, except if it's for women, but I don't see how a tie could make anyone a better translator (but I could see how it could make someone a worse translator, as wearing a tie can be very uncomfortable, and it reduces the body's ability to regulate body temperature by partially blocking natural ventilation). As a client I'd prefer that the translator focus on their work rather than their wardrobe. A tie would also be incongruous with the image Kevin paints of himself on the rest of his site, and for some of us, ties are associated with silly office politics and being submitted to a hierarchy.

But it's impossible to please everybody at the same time, so it's better just to present the image of what one is, not what some people think one should be.

[Edited at 2017-03-31 10:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website feedback

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »