Advise to buy a audio system for conference interpreting
Thread poster: martha jesty
martha jesty
martha jesty
United Kingdom
Aug 22, 2019

I run a very small business from home and I need advise to buy an equipment in the UK that I can use for conference interpreting. I have a conference interprering confernce in 1 month and my client wants me to bring the equipment. I saw one in Amazon at about 350 pounds, very simple with10 small aparatus to given to each delegate, they just need to plug the earphone. Then I have one main one where I will transmit the combination languages.
This is the link of the equipment I would like to
... See more
I run a very small business from home and I need advise to buy an equipment in the UK that I can use for conference interpreting. I have a conference interprering confernce in 1 month and my client wants me to bring the equipment. I saw one in Amazon at about 350 pounds, very simple with10 small aparatus to given to each delegate, they just need to plug the earphone. Then I have one main one where I will transmit the combination languages.
This is the link of the equipment I would like to buy but in doubt.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WLNKH7H/?coliid=I31LQC0Z92GR9J&colid=ZZ91OQ16U7C4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any advise?

[Edited at 2019-08-22 20:49 GMT]
Collapse

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cheap? Aug 23, 2019

It looks a bit cheap as compared to what you would normally find in the market (a good receiver is about 90-100 euros each for portable systems).
Can you buy it, test it and in case return it? When you test it, try it in a room with speakers and other sound systems as you might hear noises)

martha jesty
martha jesty
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
what is on the market? Aug 23, 2019

As I am very new to this business, I have seen the equipment when I have been in conferences myself as a delegate but my post was about knowing which system to buy.
Is there any way that you could let me know what kind of system I need to look. I know I need to invest but I dont want to spend more than £600, or maybe I am a bit out of touch with the market??
I really dont know the company names or where to look.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Missing element? Aug 23, 2019

This looks to be primarily designed for tours and the like. The delegates may be able to hear you, but how will you hear the speaker? Normally you would have a sound-insulated booth with a hookup to the speaker's microphone for your headphones.
I assume that the client is paying for this and/or you are including it in your budget?
You might be better off finding a service provider that rents conference interpreting equipment (including a booth if necessary) and that can set it up pro
... See more
This looks to be primarily designed for tours and the like. The delegates may be able to hear you, but how will you hear the speaker? Normally you would have a sound-insulated booth with a hookup to the speaker's microphone for your headphones.
I assume that the client is paying for this and/or you are including it in your budget?
You might be better off finding a service provider that rents conference interpreting equipment (including a booth if necessary) and that can set it up professionally, make sure everything works, take it away when done, etc.

[Edited at 2019-08-23 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Adam Warren

Franco Rigoni
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Stageline Aug 23, 2019

Stageline seems very popular in this country (Italy). They also have a microphone (for the speaker) and a receiver for the interpreter (upon request), so you can have a system that is quite similar to what you would find in a booth

Franco Rigoni
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Some ideas Aug 23, 2019

Stageline is what you see here

http://www.interpretesimultaneoinglese.it/it/servizi-3/interpretazione-simultanea

OR

I like this one, but it's expensive and heavy
... See more
Stageline is what you see here

http://www.interpretesimultaneoinglese.it/it/servizi-3/interpretazione-simultanea

OR

I like this one, but it's expensive and heavy (but the sound is great)

https://www.translation-company.com/get-kitted-out-with-a-mobile-simultaneous-interpreting-kit/

As a starter, you may try to get more information on google about the system advertised on amazon, you could contact them and see if you can return the goods if you don't like them
Collapse

Franco Rigoni
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Investment Aug 23, 2019

LEXpert wrote:

You might be better off finding a service provider that rents conference interpreting equipment (including a booth if necessary) and that can set it up professionally, make sure everything works, take it away when done, etc.

[Edited at 2019-08-23 11:26 GMT]

I think she wants to buy it as an investment, as there are more and more clients willing to work with this system. It is not a bad idea at all, as I saw in Milan that many colleagues bought a set with 10/15 receivers, so they can get more jobs

martha jesty

martha jesty
martha jesty
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 23, 2019

thank you all for all your input. I have realized that I will only do simultaneous interpreting services for up 6 people for small conferences and workshops therefore I believe I need something basic. I will not need a booth as I can seat at the back of the room listening to the speakers and interpreting to the delegates. I think I will charge my client about £20 per day for hiring equipment on top of the daily interpreting rates.
If for some reason I get a big client, then I will need t
... See more
thank you all for all your input. I have realized that I will only do simultaneous interpreting services for up 6 people for small conferences and workshops therefore I believe I need something basic. I will not need a booth as I can seat at the back of the room listening to the speakers and interpreting to the delegates. I think I will charge my client about £20 per day for hiring equipment on top of the daily interpreting rates.
If for some reason I get a big client, then I will need to hire a booth and a proper system which of course it will cost over £200 a day and I will pass this bill to my big client (one day in the future!).
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:21
Serbian to English
+ ...
Sounds to me as rather optimistic Aug 23, 2019

"I will not need a booth" sounds to me as rather optimistic - I would suggest you check that with a sound engineer - a good one.

There is a reason why booths are used and why they are sound insulated - and you wouldn't want to discover that reason on a "live run" ... The BARE MINIMUM would be that you make sure to use a highly directional microphone that will pick up ONLY your voice.

martha jesty wrote:

If for some reason I get a big client, then I will need to hire a booth and a proper system which of course it will cost over £200 a day and I will pass this bill to my big client (one day in the future!).

[Edited at 2019-08-23 20:50 GMT]

Franco Rigoni
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
In this country ... Aug 24, 2019

martha jesty wrote:

In this country, they normally charge about 15 euros a day to hire 1 receiver

martha jesty

Franco Rigoni
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
According to my experience Aug 24, 2019

Daryo wrote:

"I will not need a booth" sounds to me as rather optimistic - I would suggest you check that with a sound engineer - a good one.

There is a reason why booths are used and why they are sound insulated - and you wouldn't want to discover that reason on a "live run" ... The BARE MINIMUM would be that you make sure to use a highly directional microphone that will pick up ONLY your voice.

martha jesty wrote:

Not all clients can afford a booth and sometimes it is difficult to install a booth due to the size of the conference room. Martha is doing the right thing (very popular over here)

martha jesty

martha jesty
martha jesty
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
seminars vs small/medium/large conferences Aug 24, 2019

I dont think I sound optimistic but realistic. All depends on the size of the meeting (seminar, workshop, conference-any size) and the amount of delegates I will need to do the interpretation for. Also if the person is the main or one of the speakers or several speakers who cant speak or understand English. All these things need to be taken into consideration to match the need of the client to the work we will do. I believe that, as I am just starting, I will only trying to get small conferences... See more
I dont think I sound optimistic but realistic. All depends on the size of the meeting (seminar, workshop, conference-any size) and the amount of delegates I will need to do the interpretation for. Also if the person is the main or one of the speakers or several speakers who cant speak or understand English. All these things need to be taken into consideration to match the need of the client to the work we will do. I believe that, as I am just starting, I will only trying to get small conferences, seminars and workshop to get clients with a competitive prices. If in the future I get bigger clients who can afford a booth and the whole system with an engineer on call (about £500 per day of conference, I reckon) where I will help +15 delegates to understand the conference, then I believe I could contact a big company and pass the bill to my big client.

Franco Rigoni wrote:

Daryo wrote:

martha jesty wrote:

Not all clients can afford a booth and sometimes it is difficult to install a booth due to the size of the conference room. Martha is doing the right thing (very popular over here)
Collapse

Franco Rigoni

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advise to buy a audio system for conference interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »