Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:13
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
May 30, 2020

Since a bit more then a week or so I receive most of my (official) mail in my Spambox, even from my contacts.

Am I the only Gmail-user facing this problem? Does anyone has a remedy (other then 'use another provider')?

[Edited at 2020-05-30 13:05 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Robert May 30, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Since a bit more then a week or so I receive most of my (official) mail in my Spambox, even my contacts.

Nope, I don't have this problem. Does the mail end up in Gmail's own spam box or do you use an offline viewer (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook) and the offline viewer sorts the mail into its own spam box?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:13
Danish to English
+ ...
Not here May 30, 2020

I don't have that problem, but I use a filter to define all emails as not spam, as Gmail kept getting it wrong until I did it:

Annotation 2020-05-30 135441

I don't use Gmail for business, though, but a web hosting solution. They also use a low-level spam filter that sometimes gets it wrong and simply, because of overzealous settings, delete email that should have been delivered. I'm only aware that it has affected emails from addresses without SSL certificates, though. Without a certified mailer, one won't get much email through to AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, etc. today anyway.

Dayana González Sanchidrián

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Outlook May 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

offline viewer (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook) and the offline viewer sorts the mail into its own spam box?

Right, Outlook insists on applying its own idiotic spam filter. I have zapped it in the Windows Registry. It's the only way I could find to switch it off.

I just don't get that totalitarian, we-know-better-than-you-what’s-good-for-you attitude that we MUST let Microsoft, Google, etc. 'help' us by sending false positives to spam. Why are they so hysterical about spam filters and spam? The only spam problem I have is false positives.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel May 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Since a bit more then a week or so I receive most of my (official) mail in my Spambox, even my contacts.

Nope, I don't have this problem. Does the mail end up in Gmail's own spam box or do you use an offline viewer (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook) and the offline viewer sorts the mail into its own spam box?

In Gmail's own spam box.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel May 30, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

In Gmail's own spam box, and at random order.

Cristina Crişan
Cristina Crişan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 19:13
English to Romanian
+ ...
? May 31, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Am I the only Gmail-user facing this problem?

No, you're not.
The messages (from old contacts) sent to my spam folder have a question mark next to the sender's name. Clicking that question mark takes me to the following help page:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/180707?visit_id=637265065994401204-3848933578&p=email_auth&hl=en&rd=1

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Outlook's spam filter Jun 1, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Right, Outlook insists on applying its own idiotic spam filter. I have zapped it in the Windows Registry. It's the only way I could find to switch it off.

You should get an explanation via the Help function (F1). And/or via https://support.office.com

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/overview-of-the-junk-email-filter-5ae3ea8e-cf41-4fa0-b02a-3b96e21de089

Unnessary tweaking the Registry is a common cause for unnecessary errors.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No undue risk when fix is properly documented Jun 1, 2020

Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

You should get an explanation via the Help function (F1). And/or via https://support.office.com

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/overview-of-the-junk-email-filter-5ae3ea8e-cf41-4fa0-b02a-3b96e21de089

Unnessary tweaking the Registry is a common cause for unnecessary errors.

I had looked into all that before I concluded that the only way to turn it off was to zap the Registry, as Microsoft has provided no UI for switching off this junk. It was necessary, as the junk filter was putting false positives in the junk folder.

The Registry solution is:

Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\12.0\outlook
Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\outlook (

Clement Cheung

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Outlook's spam filter Jun 1, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Microsoft has provided no UI for switching off this junk.

??? The second link I gave you describes such an UI, contained in the Outlook versions you mentioned.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No it doesn't Jun 1, 2020

Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

??? The second link I gave you describes such an UI, contained in the Outlook versions you mentioned.

No it doesn't. It doesn't say anywhere that you can turn it off. And indeed you can't. Unless you do it in the Registry. With the UI, you can only adjust the protection level, not escape their nanny's firm hand.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please lets stick to the topic Jun 2, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

No it doesn't. It doesn't say anywhere that you can turn it off. And indeed you can't. Unless you do it in the Registry. With the UI, you can only adjust the protection level, not escape their nanny's firm hand.

We are talking Gmail here, not Outlook! If you want to talk about Outlook, please start your own forum.

[Edited at 2020-06-02 09:25 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
No need to be so rude Jun 2, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

We are talking Gmail here, not Outlook! If you want to talk about Outlook, please start your own forum.

There's no need to be rude. You asked for help. We're trying to help you.

I already gave you one suggestion about using Gmail filters, which you have ignored until now. I guess I have to say thanks for my suggestion myself.

Samuel asked if you were using an offline viewer (which is possible to do with Gmail and you hadn't said if you did), so I pointed out, as a possibility, Outlook's spam filter, which would be relevant to your problem in such a scenario. If you don't like lateral thinking in replies intended to help, then you have the option of being more specific in your question.

Rolf Keller, not I, started the unnecessary debate about his dislike of the way Outlook's spam filter can be disabled.

Sorry about trying to help. You won't hear another suggestion from me. No use trying to help people who just ignore your suggestions and then bite back.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Jun 2, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

There's no need to be rude. You asked for help. We're trying to help you.

I already gave you one suggestion about using Gmail filters, which you have ignored until now. I guess I have to say thanks for my suggestion myself.

Samuel asked if you were using an offline viewer (which is possible to do with Gmail and you hadn't said if you did), so I pointed out, as a possibility, Outlook's spam filter, which would be relevant to your problem in such a scenario. If you don't like lateral thinking in replies intended to help, then you have the option of being more specific in your question.

Rolf Keller, not I, started the unnecessary debate about his dislike of the way Outlook's spam filter can be disabled.

Sorry about trying to help. You won't hear another suggestion from me. No use trying to help people who just ignore your suggestions and then bite back.

No rudeness meant, hence the 2x "please".

Thanks for your suggestion, didn't work, so I am still looking for a possible solution.

Once more my apologies if my answer came over too strong (but it is a Gmail topic).

Rob

[Edited at 2020-06-02 12:44 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Might this be of influence? Jun 2, 2020

Cristina Crişan wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Am I the only Gmail-user facing this problem?

No, you're not.
The messages (from old contacts) sent to my spam folder have a question mark next to the sender's name. Clicking that question mark takes me to the following help page:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/180707?visit_id=637265065994401204-3848933578&p=email_auth&hl=en&rd=1

Opening the link above, it reads:

"If you see a question mark next to the sender's name, the message isn't authenticated. When an email isn't authenticated, that means Gmail doesn't know if the message is coming from the person who appears to be sending it. If you see this, be careful about replying or downloading any attachments."

So, I had a look at my contacts, and found out that Google has changed the whole content, that is, all the extra information I put into it has gone, and all that is left is the email adress of the contact.

I was just wondering.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gmail

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »