Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88] >
Corona quarantine diary
Inițiatorul discuției: Mervyn Henderson

Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgia
Local time: 20:58
Membru (2009)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
New victim Nov 13, 2020

Somebody in my family died of corona.
He wasn't young anymore, but nevertheless...
Those who state corona isn't dangerous, don't know what they're talking about.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach
Tereza Rae
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

expressisverbis
Portugalia
Local time: 19:58
Membru (2015)
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
Peter, Nov 13, 2020

Peter Motte wrote:

Somebody in my family died of corona.
He wasn't young anymore, but nevertheless...
Those who state corona isn't dangerous, don't know what they're talking about.

I'm so sorry to hear that
Please accept my deepest condolences!
My heartfelt sympathies on your loss!
Coronavirus is certainly a silent and terrible danger.
My virtual hug for you!

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spania
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
@Peter Nov 13, 2020

Very sorry to hear that, Peter. But it looks like it might be over quite soon. Let's hope so.

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franţa
Membru (2018)
din franceză în engleză
. Nov 13, 2020

Adding my condolences too.

At the dog park the other night, a guy announced that he was going home, he had to cook tajine. He explained that his cousin was coming over (so breaking lockdown). The cousin was in need of comfort, having just lost his father to corona.
I'm having trouble wrapping my head round that.

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau

Chris S  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din suedeză în engleză
+ ...
Dogs revisited Nov 13, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:
At the dog park the other night, a guy announced that he was going home, he had to cook tajine. He explained that his cousin was coming over (so breaking lockdown). The cousin was in need of comfort, having just lost his father to corona.

Over here, it’s even explicitly in the rules that you are allowed to comfort people who need comforting. It’s interesting how differently people perceive the same threat, all depending on the information they are fed by their respective governments. But however deadly or not each country thinks the virus is, shouldn’t there still be a place for compassion?

But yeah, I was out on the bike earlier and had to wait for a group of 23 undistanced ramblers, none a day under 75, to shuffle out of the way on the coast path, and I did think why do I even bother, before thinking well if they’ve got that far they’d probably be fine anyway.

What is pissing me off at the moment is the statistics. In the UK, we hit 50,000 Covid deaths yesterday, cue big headlines. Except that just means people who tested positive in the month before dying, even if they died in a car crash. Why don’t they just tell us how many have actually died of it?

More importantly, though, what’s a dog park? Do you mean like Catford Stadium? Or tunnels and jumps and trampolines and slides and roundabouts for dogs?

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F.Persio

Spania
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Dog park Nov 13, 2020

I was wondering that myself.

(Edit) But, on second thoughts, it probably isn't important, considering.

[Edited at 2020-11-13 13:54 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgia
Membru (2009)
din engleză în olandeză
+ ...
Thank you for the condoléances Nov 13, 2020

Thank you all for the condoléances.

The actual deaths because of corona are estimated by the surplus of death people in comparison with normal months.
But of some of them it's very clear it is because of corona.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Spania
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Patience Nov 14, 2020

I was locked down into translation today. I was losing my patience with one of those jobs, no, two jobs, you can definitely lose your patience with. In desperation I googled "patience", and one of the hits was Guns 'n' Roses. Not that I know much about or even appreciate GNR (as those in the know call them, apparently), apart from Sweet Child of Mine, and I'd heard of this one. But it worked for me. I flew through a couple of K after that. Even though Axl seems to need a crib sheet for the words... See more
I was locked down into translation today. I was losing my patience with one of those jobs, no, two jobs, you can definitely lose your patience with. In desperation I googled "patience", and one of the hits was Guns 'n' Roses. Not that I know much about or even appreciate GNR (as those in the know call them, apparently), apart from Sweet Child of Mine, and I'd heard of this one. But it worked for me. I flew through a couple of K after that. Even though Axl seems to need a crib sheet for the words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugalia
Membru (2015)
+ ...
You're not alone Nov 14, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I was locked down into translation today. I was losing my patience with one of those jobs, no, two jobs, you can definitely lose your patience with. In desperation I googled "patience", and one of the hits was Guns 'n' Roses. Not that I know much about or even appreciate GNR (as those in the know call them, apparently), apart from Sweet Child of Mine, and I'd heard of this one. But it worked for me. I flew through a couple of K after that. Even though Axl seems to need a crib sheet for the words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc

We are all locked at home. There are no people in the streets and services closed at 1pm (supermarkets including).
In addition, I'm putting up with the noise of some Brazilian "nabos", and as usually I'm working.
GNR is also the name of a Portuguese band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN9Q1sPI2y0

I think I will need to call "GNR" (police)...

[Edited at 2020-11-14 14:32 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-14 14:41 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germania
Membru (2007)
din olandeză în germană
+ ...
Cant´help, but ... Nov 14, 2020

Mervyn Henderson writed:

Not that I know much about or even appreciate GNR (as those in the know call them, apparently)

... although I would not consider myself as a true child of the 90's, when MTV was running almost on every screen 24/7, I always expect some comments by "Beavis and Butthead" rushing in, when watching a videoclip with GNR, like "xxxxx?" or "xxxxx!".

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugalia
Membru (2015)
+ ...
I want to break free Nov 14, 2020

to release the tension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mc-NYPHaQ

Can this post be deleted? I hope not!
He was a bit naughty, and a Virgoan too, but I believe he was only the great pretender, and a man of many talents.

[Edited at 2020-11-14 17:53 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson

Regatul Unit
din suedeză în engleză
+ ...
I bags Beavis Nov 14, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:
I always expect some comments by "Beavis and Butthead" rushing in, when watching a videoclip with GNR, like "xxxxx?" or "xxxxx!".

I think that’s how Tom feels.

expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germania
Membru (2007)
din olandeză în germană
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

We all know ... Nov 14, 2020

Chris S writed:
I think that’s how Tom feels.

... that you mean Tom Bones, don't ya?

expressisverbis

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Franţa
Membru (2018)
din franceză în engleză
. Nov 16, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Kay Denney wrote:

Over here, it’s even explicitly in the rules that you are allowed to comfort people who need comforting. It’s interesting how differently people perceive the same threat, all depending on the information they are fed by their respective governments. But however deadly or not each country thinks the virus is, shouldn’t there still be a place for compassion?

But yeah, I was out on the bike earlier and had to wait for a group of 23 undistanced ramblers, none a day under 75, to shuffle out of the way on the coast path, and I did think why do I even bother, before thinking well if they’ve got that far they’d probably be fine anyway.

What is pissing me off at the moment is the statistics. In the UK, we hit 50,000 Covid deaths yesterday, cue big headlines. Except that just means people who tested positive in the month before dying, even if they died in a car crash. Why don’t they just tell us how many have actually died of it?

More importantly, though, what’s a dog park? Do you mean like Catford Stadium? Or tunnels and jumps and trampolines and slides and roundabouts for dogs?

Nothing like Catford Stadium (although it would be a superb name for a dog park).

No tunnels or jumps or trampolines or slides or roundabouts either.

It's just a muddy (or dusty) enclosure in the only park in my town that dogs are allowed into. They literally just fenced off the one part of the park that nobody ever went to, being reachable only by climbing a muddy slope, with no lighting, one dirty bench for owners to sit on (where dogs have had their claws ripped off when they get them caught in the tiny holes all over the metal) and no stairs to get up the rest of the slope when your dog refuses to come back. Even the gate is all wobbly now. It's just the only place you're allowed to let your dog off the lead, and mine needs to run much faster than I can.

expressisverbis

Regatul Unit
din suedeză în engleză
+ ...
After the apocalypse Nov 16, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:
Nothing like Catford Stadium (although it would be a superb name for a dog park).

No tunnels or jumps or trampolines or slides or roundabouts either.

It's just a muddy (or dusty) enclosure in the only park in my town that dogs are allowed into. They literally just fenced off the one part of the park that nobody ever went to, being reachable only by climbing a muddy slope, with no lighting, one dirty bench for owners to sit on (where dogs have had their claws ripped off when they get them caught in the tiny holes all over the metal) and no stairs to get up the rest of the slope when your dog refuses to come back. Even the gate is all wobbly now. It's just the only place you're allowed to let your dog off the lead, and mine needs to run much faster than I can.

What an irresistable attraction! Reminds me of that old song by The Specials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

Or maybe some post-apocalyptic Mad Max scenario. Is there tumbleweed?

Sadly, I see Catford Stadium is now a housing estate. I do apologise for my outdated references. Close to half a century since I departed Saahf Lunden. It's never been the same since.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorii acestui forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Căutaţi un termen
  • Lucrări
  • Forumuri
  • Multiple search