Thread poster: Justine Zhen Zhong
Justine Zhen Zhong
Justine Zhen Zhong
United States
Local time: 12:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 15, 2020

I'm posting an email recently received that looks very much like a scam. ScinoPharm(台灣神隆股份有限公司) is a legit company. However, instead of using the company's domain which is @scinopharm.com, the email is from [email protected] and the HR's email is a gmail account.

If you've received something similar, please comment below and help confirm the scam.

... See more
I'm posting an email recently received that looks very much like a scam. ScinoPharm(台灣神隆股份有限公司) is a legit company. However, instead of using the company's domain which is @scinopharm.com, the email is from [email protected] and the HR's email is a gmail account.

If you've received something similar, please comment below and help confirm the scam.

个人认为是诈骗邮件的可能性很高,请各位同僚注意。如有更多相关信息请评论本帖。

"Hello (your name),

After a quick review of your profile on (a platform or association that you're a member of),

I write to present Scinopharm Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position thus:

SCINOPHARM is a premium provider of advanced, clinical and biomarker data analytics technology. Ariana’s unique technology exhaustively mines data, increasing the success of both clinical trials and multi-parametric diagnostic tools. Our team of biostatisticians, software developers, clinical experts and business developers works hard to save sponsors both time and money.

Hence, we are in search of individuals and companies irrespective of the current business type for a Translator/Interpreter Position.

Responsibilities:
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more other languages
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling, and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye for maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices

Requirements
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of Content Editing tools
- Familiarity with Translation Software
- Time Management Skills
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus

Job Type: Full-time/Part-time
Hourly Rate: $30 to $40/Hour
Training Rate: $20/Hour

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:
Send the below information and Resume to: Mrs Katy Cheng
([email protected])
Name:
Name of Company (Current employer):
Position Held:
Postal Address:
Cell Number:
Interview Scheduled : Mondays - Fridays
Venue: On line Via Google Hangouts
Time : 9:00 AM-5:00 PM CST
Training is Available.
Your verification code is (SPI/AP2020-6054). This would serve as your identification number throughout the on-line hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.
Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Sincerely yours,
Department of the Employee Representative
Council of ScnioPharm
© 2020 Global ScnioPharm "

scam
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:43
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Already mentioned in Scam forum Apr 17, 2020

Hi Justine,

Thanks for your alert. Here's the link for you in which fellow ProZ.com translators discussed this type of unsolicited emails and "Scinopharm" was mentioned back in Nov. 2019, as follows:

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html

Hope this helps.

David

Justine Zhen Zhong

julietann
julietann
China
Likely a scam Apr 28, 2020

Just registered an account to post this, I was approached on guru.com offering me this position. The company is real, however like the thread (https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html ) lists, it's likely a scam.

My version of the whole process is as follows:

I contacted the Mrs. Kathy Cheng, reply was I was to have an interview with
... See more
Just registered an account to post this, I was approached on guru.com offering me this position. The company is real, however like the thread (https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/337531-is_this_a_scam.html ) lists, it's likely a scam.

My version of the whole process is as follows:

I contacted the Mrs. Kathy Cheng, reply was I was to have an interview with them on google hangout;
2 hours after my "scheduled time", Cheng sent me a questionnaire saying this will be the interview;
Filled out the said questionnaire (luckily no personal info was given out), then followed two PDFs, one is an employment letter and one is a translator acknowledgement letter.
However, it's worth noting that:
a) the payment method was constantly changing (in the pay mode section of the employment letter it's stated that direct deposit will be the payment method, but later it's stated that they will provide mobile / physical check or credit card.)
b) the job description was also inconsistent (but I thought, hey if they pay me 40 per hour for being a clerk then it's worth it anyways, so I didn't question it)

They also require me to submit a job on upwork "as my first task", and this was the biggest red flag for me.
Collapse

Mark Pisoni
Mark Pisoni  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Scinopharm online job offer is a scam Aug 9, 2020

to: [email protected]
date: Aug 8, 2020, 11:17 AM
In respect to your profile on American Translators Association, Scinopharm HR department would like to know if you will be interested for an online job position as a Translator/Interpreter.Kindly reply back with ( YES I AM ) if intereste
... See more
to: [email protected]
date: Aug 8, 2020, 11:17 AM
In respect to your profile on American Translators Association, Scinopharm HR department would like to know if you will be interested for an online job position as a Translator/Interpreter.Kindly reply back with ( YES I AM ) if interested to have a full job description,and have you scheduled for an online interview.
Collapse

Ester Cabral
David Lin

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Ester Cabral
Ester Cabral  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
schinopharm translator/interpreter position Oct 1, 2020

yesterday I received exactly the same mail as Justine, this time supposedly @after checking my profile in the ATA directory. It looked totally legit. And I was even scheduled for an interview tomorrow. But I had "this feeling".....I entered the real company but there was no "recruitment" and well, found this and similar threads here in Proz. Now I now. Considering the dates of some of these "alert messages", it seems they've been pretty busy for a while.

Justine Zhen Zhong
David Lin
Edurne Alvarez

Marilia Vinson
Marilia Vinson  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here Nov 9, 2020

I have received a similar email with the same email address. I immediately thought it looked like a scam, looked it up, and found this forum discussion.

David Lin

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:43
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
More scams during Covid-19 Nov 10, 2020

Dear Marilia,

Great you found the posts in this thread helpful. Online scam is getting serious during Covid-19 indeed.

I was pleased that the Chinese Forum could reach you and professional translation freelancers of other language pairs (than Chinese) who found this forum helpful.

Stay alert, stay safe and good luck!

David

Marilia Vinson wrote:

I have received a similar email with the same email address. I immediately thought it looked like a scam, looked it up, and found this forum discussion.

[Edited at 2020-11-10 13:44 GMT]

Edurne Alvarez

Edurne Alvarez
Edurne Alvarez
United States
Finnish to English
+ ...
contacted by this company for an interview and contacted by another rando connected to "Scamopharm" Feb 9, 2021

Something else also happened that struck me as bizarre. Once I was contacted for this supposed interview I received another email from Aiine Janie asking to be friends. I asked if she was on LinkedIn and she replied immediately that she was... After that I asked the person who initially contacted me if they knew "Aiine Janie", and they said they did. She also attached photos of someone in gym gear. Creepy!
Anyway, very strange experience for me... But yes if someone is contacting you for
... See more
Something else also happened that struck me as bizarre. Once I was contacted for this supposed interview I received another email from Aiine Janie asking to be friends. I asked if she was on LinkedIn and she replied immediately that she was... After that I asked the person who initially contacted me if they knew "Aiine Janie", and they said they did. She also attached photos of someone in gym gear. Creepy!
Anyway, very strange experience for me... But yes if someone is contacting you for a job via gmail it should be a red flag!
Best wishes
Edurne
Collapse

David Lin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

【詐騙警惕】 Scinopharm Translator/Interpreter job (Full-Time/Part-Time) Position

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »