Rendering Taishanese "thl" initual sound to English speakers
Thread poster: Paul Yee
Paul Yee
Paul Yee
Canada
Mar 27, 2020

I'm translating an English language work for the stage that contains Taishanese dialect. The project requires that the actors (who are not Taishanese speakers) speak Taishanese on stage. The actors are skilled at learning different languages and will be coached re dialects. My difficulty is with the "thl" initial sound of Taishanese. In the web sites that I visit, I find different ways of approaching this pronunciation. In many cases where the "thl" sound should appear as initial, as in 相, it... See more
I'm translating an English language work for the stage that contains Taishanese dialect. The project requires that the actors (who are not Taishanese speakers) speak Taishanese on stage. The actors are skilled at learning different languages and will be coached re dialects. My difficulty is with the "thl" initial sound of Taishanese. In the web sites that I visit, I find different ways of approaching this pronunciation. In many cases where the "thl" sound should appear as initial, as in 相, it sounds more like an "s" or "th" sound. Indeed, it seems that most words that start with "thl" are equally understandable with an "s" or "th" initial. Even in the Chinese community where I grew up with Taishanese, that "thl" sound wasn't that obvious. Question: how important is it to retain and use the full "thl" sound for Taishanese in a project such as this?Collapse

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:45
French to Chinese
+ ...
Well Mar 30, 2020

Hi Paul, I'm not sure that you're able to find answers here at proz.
I'm not Toishanese, but I assume the "thl" prononciation, which is to me, a stronger version of "th" is quite a typical one to characterize people from Taishan.
Google or Baidu videos with "台山话“ and see what you can get. (This is what I did for my last assignment in Hakka)

[Edited at 2020-03-30 09:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-03-30 18:13 GMT]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:45
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Toisanese Chop Suey Apr 1, 2020

Toisanese Chop Suey 台山话杂碎
http://taishanesetalk.blogspot.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rendering Taishanese "thl" initual sound to English speakers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »