Thread poster: Erin Riddle
Erin Riddle
Erin Riddle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
German to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2019

I'm having a hard time exporting my project into a Word file. It seems to export ok, but when I try to open it (whether from within CafeTran or my file manager) I get this message:

We're sorry. We can't open [file name] because we found a problem with its contents.

Details:
Incorrect document syntax.

I have exported and worked with Word files before and didn'
... See more
I'm having a hard time exporting my project into a Word file. It seems to export ok, but when I try to open it (whether from within CafeTran or my file manager) I get this message:

We're sorry. We can't open [file name] because we found a problem with its contents.

Details:
Incorrect document syntax.

I have exported and worked with Word files before and didn't have this problem. Also, I checked the file in my file manager and it shows up with a .docx extension and is associated with Word (little Word icon is shown). I cannot figure out where the problem is in terms of exporting.

I'm running CafeTran Espresso 10.5 Croissant on Windows 10 version 10.0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Erin

[Edited at 2019-10-06 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
problem exporting file Oct 6, 2019

Hello Erin,

The original file was a DOCX, right?

So there is no error during the export, only when you try to open the exported file back in Word.

Have you edited in any way the original file (with the source language code added in the end) that is placed in the project folder which CafeTran has created?

Also, I suggest you make sure there are no tag issues in QA > Tags check, which can produce export issues.

If the issue persists
... See more
Hello Erin,

The original file was a DOCX, right?

So there is no error during the export, only when you try to open the exported file back in Word.

Have you edited in any way the original file (with the source language code added in the end) that is placed in the project folder which CafeTran has created?

Also, I suggest you make sure there are no tag issues in QA > Tags check, which can produce export issues.

If the issue persists after that QA step, plus a computer restart, I suggest you open a support ticket: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new (free registration required, if you don't have an account yet)

Jean
Collapse

Erin Riddle
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: problem exporting file Oct 6, 2019

Hi Jean,

Yes, the original file was .docx. I remember that I did make a small change in the original file (which I also made manually in CafeTran), so that might be the problem.

So, how do I fix that without losing the translation work I have done in CafeTran (if possible)?

Does CafeTran charge for support tickets?

Erin

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Suggestions Oct 6, 2019

Please note that the source file CafeTran adds to the project folder, appending the source language code, should not be edited. You can still edit the source text in CafeTran when this option is enabled (Edit > Edit source segments). I suggest keeping this option off, unless you want to edit a source segment, to avoid any accidental edits.

OK, so first, I would close CafeTran and make a backup copy of the project folder, for good measure.

Second, I would try repl
... See more
Please note that the source file CafeTran adds to the project folder, appending the source language code, should not be edited. You can still edit the source text in CafeTran when this option is enabled (Edit > Edit source segments). I suggest keeping this option off, unless you want to edit a source segment, to avoid any accidental edits.

OK, so first, I would close CafeTran and make a backup copy of the project folder, for good measure.

Second, I would try replacing the edited source file in the project folder with the original unedited one, if you have it on hand. Basically, delete the current one, copy the original and append the source language code, so that it matches what CafeTran expects. Then open your project in CafeTran and try exporting once again.

If that does not work, I would do the following:

- With the current project open, Project > Export and exchange > TMX.
- Close the project and create a new one, with the corrected DOCX file. Either add and tick the exported TMX before creating the project (in the Dashboard), or once the project is created, Memory > Open Memory (you can leave it read only, but it does not matter much) and select the exported TMX. Then Translate > Insert all exact matches. This should populate most, if not all segments with your translation. If your document had tags, please make sure their positioning is correct in the target text, and run a QA > Tags check before Exporting.

Let me know if any of the above has worked for you.

[Edited at 2019-10-06 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Brauer

Erin Riddle
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: problem exporting file Oct 6, 2019

Hi Jean,

I was able to fix the problem with minimal damage. Luckily, this project was not a huge one and I will not make that mistake again.

Thanks so much for sharing your time and knowledge.

Erin

Jean Dimitriadis

Claudia Brauer
Claudia Brauer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problems exporting file! Oct 29, 2020

It took me at least three hours before I found a way to solve my problem (see your instructions below). The system should WARN you when you are making changes to the original file so that this type of situation does not arise after four days of work on the document! Fortunately this workaround worked, but it did cause a lot of frustration and anger plus four hours of misery!

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Second, I would try replacing the edited source file in the project folder with the original unedited one, if you have it on hand. Basically, delete the current one, copy the original and append the source language code, so that it matches what CafeTran expects. Then open your project in CafeTran and try exporting once again.

If that does not work, I would do the following:

- With the current project open, Project > Export and exchange > TMX.
- Close the project and create a new one, with the corrected DOCX file. Either add and tick the exported TMX before creating the project (in the Dashboard), or once the project is created, Memory > Open Memory (you can leave it read only, but it does not matter much) and select the exported TMX. Then Translate > Insert all exact matches. This should populate most, if not all segments with your translation. If your document had tags, please make sure their positioning is correct in the target text, and run a QA > Tags check before Exporting.

Let me know if any of the above has worked for you.

[Edited at 2019-10-06 18:17 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
  Oct 29, 2020

Hi Claudia,

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

As a cafetranslator myself, I hope the developer can find a way to better protect the source files which CafeTran uses for its export functionality, or make users aware of the need to avoid any editing.

Jean

[Edited at 2020-10-29 07:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problem exporting file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »