Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:11
Member (2004)
English to French
Sep 9, 2020

A new situation happened to me: unending miles long T&C's. Sure, I've had to read and sign NDA's and T&C's with standard and usual clauses, but not like this.

Back in July, a translation agency contacted me. I checked their credentials on the Blue Board, they had a good reputation. I passed the short test and they agreed with my rate. So far so good. I thought I'd be expecting work soon. Nope. No such luck.

They sent me an 18 page long T&C's with questionable clauses, o
... See more
A new situation happened to me: unending miles long T&C's. Sure, I've had to read and sign NDA's and T&C's with standard and usual clauses, but not like this.

Back in July, a translation agency contacted me. I checked their credentials on the Blue Board, they had a good reputation. I passed the short test and they agreed with my rate. So far so good. I thought I'd be expecting work soon. Nope. No such luck.

They sent me an 18 page long T&C's with questionable clauses, one of which stated I'd have to pay them within a short period if they were not happy with my work. Also, I would have to learn to use all of their systems (there are literally dozens). And I haven't even had a single word to translate for their client yet.

I just told them I wouldn't be signing this, because I felt I had to jump through hoops to prove my 20+ years of experience with references, thus wasting my time and keeping me away from actual work. They should give the position to a junior translator eager to do anything to work (like I did over 20 years ago), but that won't be me. My time is valuable and best spent otherwise.
Collapse

Ying-Ju Fang
Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder
Eva Stoppa
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
Ivana Kahle

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Which company is it? Sep 10, 2020

Is it a large company with offices in New York, Barcelona and others?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:11
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nina Sep 10, 2020

This client of yours reminded me of an American translation agency which first of all asked me if I was willing to do a short medical test. OK! No problem! After this was done and approved, asked for a photo (?), a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements and to top it all emailed me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, sign and return. Some companies seem driven mad by bureaucracy…

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:11
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Large... I think so Sep 10, 2020

It has offices all over the place. I'll send you the name in private, as I remember a proz rule forbids us to discuss them openly. That's what the BB is for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Miles long T&C's

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »