Maika Vicente Navarro
Maika Vicente Navarro  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 16, 2020

Dear fellow translators,

I am looking to expand my translation business by contacting direct clients in my domain expertise. That means contacting small and medium sized companies with little or no knowledge of the translation and localisation process. These companies might have documentation in many different formats and in multiple media, and since I am not a technical person, is there any software that might help with the following?

- Extract content from software an
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

I am looking to expand my translation business by contacting direct clients in my domain expertise. That means contacting small and medium sized companies with little or no knowledge of the translation and localisation process. These companies might have documentation in many different formats and in multiple media, and since I am not a technical person, is there any software that might help with the following?

- Extract content from software and video games
- Extract content from websites
- Extract content from other documents
- Provide with a fast analysis of the total volume (in words or minutes) for a multimedia project, i.e, localization of a software program, marketing documentation and videos it might have.
- Integrate the translation back into the software, video game, documents with graphics, etc.

Thank you very much for your help and recommendations,

Maika Vicente
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maika Jul 16, 2020

Maika Vicente Navarro wrote:
I am looking to expand my translation business by contacting direct clients in my domain expertise.

Maika, tell us, do you use any CAT tools, and if so, which, and how proficient are you in using them (or: how regularly do you use them)?

Maika Vicente Navarro
Australia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Jul 16, 2020

I regularly use SDL Trados Studio as CAT tool. I have also used memoQ and Wordfast.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 16:39
English to German
In memoriam
Become a technical person Jul 16, 2020

Maika, if you are not a technical person and you want to do this kind of work, you will have to become one. There are no ready-made solutions for extracting text from software and injecting the translation back, since software itself can be developed in a multitude of ways. Often, the idea to translate the software was not part of the original development concept, so that translatable texts can be anywhere in the code, and the first step has to be a rewrite of the software code to separate liter... See more
Maika, if you are not a technical person and you want to do this kind of work, you will have to become one. There are no ready-made solutions for extracting text from software and injecting the translation back, since software itself can be developed in a multitude of ways. Often, the idea to translate the software was not part of the original development concept, so that translatable texts can be anywhere in the code, and the first step has to be a rewrite of the software code to separate literals from the code and make them accessible and exchangeable. If you are lucky and this was already done, there are still many different ways to do this and the actual files you get can have many formats, most of them some kind of list, property file, CSV file, whatever. If you are VERY lucky, these files even contain some form of documentation, so that you have context for the strings; otherwise you will have to make sure that everything is well documented. In any case, you will have to cooperate closely with the developers, telling them what you need and asking them what they need. The actual translating part might be the smallest part of the job.

You also have to be aware that software projects are not static. Software is fixed, patched, versioned, changed all the time. If software is to be delivered in multiple languages, you have to establish a workflow with the developer to make sure that new and changed literals are updated in time.

The easiest starting point for you might be the translation of static websites. Common CAT tools like Trados or MemoQ can easily load HTML files, so that you can start right away. However, the trend is that static websites are replaced by dynamic content with lots of layers and programmatic elements, and then you have to cooperate with the web developers again.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 18:39
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Possible solution Jul 16, 2020

You might want to take a look at Sisulizer or Passolo.

Maika Vicente Navarro
Australia
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Passolo, Sisulizer or Lokalise. Jul 18, 2020

Which one would you recommend and why?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software applications for multimedia projects as Freelance translator

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »