Off topic: RE> Freelancer success stories
Thread poster: DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
May 28, 2019

As far as I cannot post to the Coop area, while I understand it's just a prepaid advertising know-how, I'd like to ask it here:
   Why do all those happy/established testimonials habitually lack specifics--the rates (a taboo word?) at the beginning and now, specialization/services, how much makes th
... See more
As far as I cannot post to the Coop area, while I understand it's just a prepaid advertising know-how, I'd like to ask it here:
   Why do all those happy/established testimonials habitually lack specifics--the rates (a taboo word?) at the beginning and now, specialization/services, how much makes the "success", taxes/net, or just something useful for newbies and wannabes to get the picture, no?
Talent is not enough.

Say, if one just started or monthly invests over $500 while earning under $200 gross in return, yet feels and considers himself "a successful businessman", is he eligible to share the success story too?
Not sure how it works here, though.

Our professor used to say:
   'You can't do without hard numbers and arguments!'.

[Edited at 2019-05-28 20:52 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
German to English
Success is relative, often hard to quantify May 28, 2019

Let us posit a hypothetical beginner who invests $1500 in equipment and software (without borrowing). If during that first year in business our beginner works from home in a shared household and manages to land $200 worth of business/month EBITDA, he or she might be considered relatively successful in purely business terms, especially since many newbies go weeks/months without work when starting out. Even larger enterprises take years before they turn a profit – Amazon is a prime example. A tr... See more
Let us posit a hypothetical beginner who invests $1500 in equipment and software (without borrowing). If during that first year in business our beginner works from home in a shared household and manages to land $200 worth of business/month EBITDA, he or she might be considered relatively successful in purely business terms, especially since many newbies go weeks/months without work when starting out. Even larger enterprises take years before they turn a profit – Amazon is a prime example. A translator still earning $200/month after five years might want to consider a different line of work, as taxes, retirement funding, replacing/upgrading existing equipment/software (not to mention possible inflation) make translating an unprofitable endeavor at that level of revenue.

On the other hand, a translator with a stable customer base providing a reliable income stream could be considered successful, even though said income might fall well below six figures. Wealth is only a relative measure of success.

In terms of economics, when revenue exceeds opportunity costs, and the return on investment is greater than might be gained in a different endeavor, then the enterprise might be considered a success.
Collapse

mughwI
Thayenga
P.L.F. Persio

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ladder of success proving May 29, 2019

Thank you, Kevin.

Usually I see (or can look up) the numbers behind fancy words and processes, yet the question is about the very definition and purpose of such Success stories, e.g.:

1) What numbers make 'success' for the selected ProZ freelancers?
2) Chosen by what criteria?
3) How their biz is doing right now?
. . .
Is there a purpose or it's merely an eye candy ... See more
Thank you, Kevin.

Usually I see (or can look up) the numbers behind fancy words and processes, yet the question is about the very definition and purpose of such Success stories, e.g.:

1) What numbers make 'success' for the selected ProZ freelancers?
2) Chosen by what criteria?
3) How their biz is doing right now?
. . .
Is there a purpose or it's merely an eye candy to attract and motivate new members?

For one I cannot understand how the answers to those five generalized questions might help a newbie to get HOW the high-fliers* have reached their GOALS and WHAT exactly, because success may include far too many in/direct measurable and unmeasurable (good luck) parameters and variables.
The success is NOT always duplicable, alas.

Shortly, I think that if the ProZ wants more prospects to consider [investing into] the membership, they should really be more specific with hard numbers.

Just IMO)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RE> Freelancer success stories

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »