Iñaki Vega Bayo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:31
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2019

Hi!
First of all, I would like to apologize in case this information is easily accessible or available in the forum. I have spent a whole day searching and haven't found a clear answer to a question that I would have thought it should have been really simple.
Do I need to register anywhere in order to be a US freelancer and contact clients directly and be able to invoice?
I am a US citizen raised in Spain and currently living in Mexico. I am tired of working with agencies and w
... See more
Hi!
First of all, I would like to apologize in case this information is easily accessible or available in the forum. I have spent a whole day searching and haven't found a clear answer to a question that I would have thought it should have been really simple.
Do I need to register anywhere in order to be a US freelancer and contact clients directly and be able to invoice?
I am a US citizen raised in Spain and currently living in Mexico. I am tired of working with agencies and want to start getting my own clients as a freelancer. However, before I start reaching out to potential clients I want to be sure I have everything I need and that is where invoicing comes into play.
Is my SSN enough in order to invoice?
Please note I have never paid taxes in the US so I am completely unfamiliar on how all of this works.
Thank you in advance!
Collapse

Joshua Parker
Joshua Parker
Mexico
Local time: 02:31
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you're living in Mexico... Mar 27, 2019

... I think you're asking the wrong question. Unless your intention is to move to the U.S., it should be "Freelancing in Mexico" - in which case I believe the only thing you need to do is register with the SAT assuming you're legally resident in Mexico and entitled to work.

As a U.S. citizen, you also need to file a tax return to Uncle Sam no matter where you're based, so you'd need to be registered there. I'm not a U.S. citizen and cannot advise in that respect.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wrong question Mar 28, 2019

We freelancers work with clients anywhere in the world whether we are digital nomads or digital hermits but in general we only pay taxes in one country according to the tax residency (meaning the country where you spend most of your time). As an example, I lived for 30 years in Belgium and I paid my taxes there, then I decided to move back to my home country and now I pay my taxes in Portugal. I must add that I have clients in Europe (most of them), USA, Canada and Japan.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 04:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Not that simple Mar 28, 2019

Nothing could be simpler for a US citizen residing in the US. All you need is to find clients.

SSN is enough for a self-employed person, the rest is up to you - you can, but do not have to, register a dba, an LLC or Chapter S Corp. BUT! Before any clients, you need a foreign taxation lawyer.

Your permanent address shown in your tax return may set a whole new game in motion. When your name will appear in front of the IRS eyes oozing joy of dipping into the pocket of ye
... See more
Nothing could be simpler for a US citizen residing in the US. All you need is to find clients.

SSN is enough for a self-employed person, the rest is up to you - you can, but do not have to, register a dba, an LLC or Chapter S Corp. BUT! Before any clients, you need a foreign taxation lawyer.

Your permanent address shown in your tax return may set a whole new game in motion. When your name will appear in front of the IRS eyes oozing joy of dipping into the pocket of yet another new taxpayer, and they'll see that your permanent residence is Mexico, the matter may get much more complicated. Are you paying any Mexican taxes?

In this case no more advises from me, you'll need a professional CPA too who is familiar with double and foreign taxation matters. We are subjects to global income/global taxation. A good lawyer will explain what to expect regarding your previous income abroad. Hopefully nothing.

Good luck.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancing in the US

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »