Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >
Netflix Hermes test
Thread poster: Magdalena Adamus
BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 10:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't think so Aug 16, 2017

Prinna2706 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am also a Hermes Netflix test taker. My question is that what if I have to leave while taking the test due to urgent situations? Am I able to continue the test or I have to take the test again and is it possible to do so?

Can anyone provide me any information about this matter?

The test is split in 6 sections, four with 10 minutes of time each and the last two are 20 and 40 minutes, respectively, IIRC. You can do each section whenever you feel like, but you cannot leave or pause the timer after starting a section. As such, I'd advise you not starting any section of the test unless you're 100% sure there won't be interruptions within the next X minutes. If some emergency comes up and you have to leave, I'd imagine you'd have to contact their support and explain the matter.

Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
yes, you can Aug 17, 2017

If you close the tab or are cut out from your internet connection the timer stops. I had a power outage and lost my internet connection in the middle of section 5 (or 4, I don't really remember, since its been a while) and once the lights were back I carried on over an hour later from where I had stopped.

crobrazilac
crobrazilac  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 14:25
English to Croatian
+ ...
Well done Aug 25, 2017

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

I just did the Hermes test and would like to share some tips.

I scored 95% on tests 1-4 overall. This result is given to you after ALL the tests are done. I'm now awaiting the correction of the subtitling test.

I hope this helps.

[Edited at 2017-08-09 01:59 GMT]

And thanks for the tips.just got the link for the croatian test. I know everybody here has been waiting for that.

[Edited at 2017-08-25 06:06 GMT]

Natalia Ribeiro
Natalia Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Have you been answered yet? Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for the tips!
Did you get the corrections yet?

Best regards

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Use the latest Firefox or Opera browser with the latest Flash Player version (it should still work fine if your versions are a little bit outdated, though). Some people on this thread reported problems with Chrome. Firefox worked fine for me. Use the privacy mode.

Open dictionaries in a separate browser window before starting the test. For English, I recommend www.thefreedictionary.com, www.wordreference.com and www.linguee.com. The first one is the best for idiomatic expressions (tests 1 and 2), and the last two are perfect for searching suitable words for translations in your target language.

The first two tests are multiple choice and mostly ask about the meaning or translation of very obscure idiomatic expressions. Trust me, I have been speaking English fluently since childhood, I have grade A score on the Cambridge CPE test (upper C2 level in English) and still I didn't know many of the expressions listed. Regardless, by looking them up on the above dictionaries, the tests became quite easy.

The third test gives you short 10-second clips with audio and ask you the meaning of what they are saying. Pretty straightforward and not hard if you have good listening skills in English.

The fourth test also gives you short clips, but this time with a single subtitle event, and it asks you to pinpoint wrong with them, choosing from many options (timing is off, there's a typo, punctuation error, and several more). There's also the possibility that the subtitle is completely correct, and there's an option for this. The problem I had with this test is that a particular subtitle had no less than 3 distinct errors with it, so I didn't know which answer to mark! I'll report it to them.

Lastly, it will give you two different 2-3 minute clips to subtitle, with the English lines already displayed, so you only need to translate each line. The problems with these are that the "available time" (that is, character-per-second count) is often not enough, no matter how much you try to simplify your text to fit it. I left several lines a few milliseconds over the threshold because it was frankly impossible to make them any shorter. Unless your language happens to be especially succint, be prepared for this. I also left a few lines with more than 42 characters (1-3 more) because again, there was simply no feasible way to shorten them without omitting important words (which I believe would be a worse decision to make). I hope they don't knock too many points off because of such small deviations from the limits.

I scored 95% on tests 1-4 overall. This result is given to you after ALL the tests are done. I'm now awaiting the correction of the subtitling test.

I hope this helps.

Iulian RedEye
Iulian RedEye
Romania
Romanian to English
+ ...
Some clarification Sep 4, 2017

Hello everyone. I also took the Hermes test and the result was pretty fair for my part: ~85%.
I might be off topic, as I don't fully know all the rules of this forum (this is my first post ever on this site), but I have a
couple of question for those who applied for this test and were successful.

1. How many of you actually were emailed back by Netflix and start the translation process?
2. How long did it take for them to contact you? I've seen posts online from
... See more
Hello everyone. I also took the Hermes test and the result was pretty fair for my part: ~85%.
I might be off topic, as I don't fully know all the rules of this forum (this is my first post ever on this site), but I have a
couple of question for those who applied for this test and were successful.

1. How many of you actually were emailed back by Netflix and start the translation process?
2. How long did it take for them to contact you? I've seen posts online from people that said 2 weeks have passed and they weren't contacted.
3. For those that are currently working for Netflix: They assign you to a specific series and you translate it or you translate random episodes from random series?

Any other clarifications from those that were actually contacted and are working for Netflix after they took this test would be welcomed.

Thank you!
Collapse

Nuno Oliveira
Nuno Oliveira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
Waiting game Sep 5, 2017

I don't believe anyone that did the Hermes test is working directly for Netflix, seeing that they still haven't begun evaluating section 5 (the real translation part).
Also, as jbjb posted here awhile back, Netflix is still building their "direct to translator" framework.
Some people though seem to have been directed to/contacted by Netflix vendors and may be working for them indirectly.
It's probably going to be a long time until we start to see people working for Netflix dire
... See more
I don't believe anyone that did the Hermes test is working directly for Netflix, seeing that they still haven't begun evaluating section 5 (the real translation part).
Also, as jbjb posted here awhile back, Netflix is still building their "direct to translator" framework.
Some people though seem to have been directed to/contacted by Netflix vendors and may be working for them indirectly.
It's probably going to be a long time until we start to see people working for Netflix directly.
Collapse

Marc_is_already
Marc_is_already
Netherlands
Problems with getting the second text message Sep 12, 2017

Hi,

Yesterday I signed up for the Netflix Hermes test, however I did not receive the second text message with a link to the test.

I attempted to fill out a support form (https://mepsupport.wufoo.com/forms/mtut6wu19zd68p/), but this form does not accept my mobile phone number. It requests the last four digits, but it gives three input boxes (### ### ####). No
... See more
Hi,

Yesterday I signed up for the Netflix Hermes test, however I did not receive the second text message with a link to the test.

I attempted to fill out a support form (https://mepsupport.wufoo.com/forms/mtut6wu19zd68p/), but this form does not accept my mobile phone number. It requests the last four digits, but it gives three input boxes (### ### ####). No matter what I enter - be it the entire number or the last four digits or the abbreviated lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody - it always gives an error message related to that part of the form.

I have also not found an alternative way of communicating with the support team.

Would anyone here know how to deal with this issue?
Collapse

Krzysztof Bożejewicz
Krzysztof Bożejewicz
Poland
Local time: 14:25
English to Polish
+ ...
Re: Problems with getting the second text message Sep 12, 2017

Marc_is_already wrote:

Hi,

I attempted to fill out a support form (https://mepsupport.wufoo.com/forms/mtut6wu19zd68p/), but this form does not accept my mobile phone number. It requests the last four digits, but it gives three input boxes (### ### ####). No matter what I enter - be it the entire number or the last four digits or the abbreviated lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody - it always gives an error message related to that part of the form.

I have also not found an alternative way of communicating with the support team.

Would anyone here know how to deal with this issue?

Hi,

the phone number is not required to fill in the form (no red star there), so you can just leave it empty.

Marc_is_already
Marc_is_already
Netherlands
Re: Problems with getting the second text message Sep 13, 2017

Hi Krzysztof,

Just tried it and you're right, a phone number is not required. Could've sworn I'd tried leaving the boxes empty already, but apparently not.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2017-09-13 11:32 GMT]

Franjo Varšić
Franjo Varšić
Croatia
. Sep 15, 2017

crobrazilac wrote:

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

I hope this helps.

And thanks for the tips.just got the link for the croatian test. I know everybody here has been waiting for that.

[Edited at 2017-08-25 06:06 GMT]

You got a link to a Croatian test? I just checked and it still tells me a Cro test is not available.

Lucas Dias
Lucas Dias
Brazil
Confused Sep 23, 2017

I just did the test to Brazilian-Portuguese and scored 78.67%

I'm not a professional translator and only do it as a hobby, but the test is simply very confusing and misleading.

First off I decided to do it because of how poor the current subtitles in Netflix Brazil are.. again I am no professional, but every single time I watch a tv show/movie/documentary I get very upset by how many errors they have.

The last one I watched, Gaga's Five Foot Two, there is a
... See more

I'm not a professional translator and only do it as a hobby, but the test is simply very confusing and misleading.

First off I decided to do it because of how poor the current subtitles in Netflix Brazil are.. again I am no professional, but every single time I watch a tv show/movie/documentary I get very upset by how many errors they have.

The last one I watched, Gaga's Five Foot Two, there is a part where they talk about the "meat dress" and someone really really bad at english translated it as "mink dress" (?), and this is just 0,1% of all the problems I found in the subtitle.

There are literally entire sentences that go on without subtitles and probably feel very disconnected for people that don't understand english, hence my ultimate decision to take it as I already had my H number but was waiting to be more prepared but then I supposed that with this poor level of translators it wasn't much difficult to get in.

I was very wrong though, the test as I said is confusing at best... lots of questions have more than one right answers.. some questions are not very objective but are in an objective, not discursive, exam (?) the part of correcting the subtitles presented in the videos are like seriously f**ked up, considering their own methodology there is more than one thing to correct in some of them (yes, I read their Timed Text Style Guide, though I don't see the point now as even they are skipping it).

The worst part though has to be the last two sections. First of all, they should tell you before you take it if you've passed the first four sections (as they are corrected automatically). The same way I found a lot of problems in their official subtitles those present in the last segment are also missing and/or misspelling a lot from what is said on screen. Furthermore, the character count is simply impossible to fulfil in all parts unless you really cut off parts of what is said, which is what I ultimately did and maybe started to undestand what's going on with their translators besides obviously being unprepared.

I'm really frustated not by my results but by how netflix is conducting their subtitle department. I'm on the verge of cancelling my subscription and using unofficial subtitles with pirated videos which have better quality work than they have. I haven't done it yet because overall I can watch videos without subtitles (only get confused with strong accents). I will contact them about it, though.

[Edited at 2017-09-23 01:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-23 01:14 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Groucho Marx had said it! Should I be proud from having failed? Sep 23, 2017

Lucas Dias wrote:

There are literally entire sentences that go on without subtitles and probably feel very disconnected for people that don't understand english, hence my ultimate decision to take it as I already had my H number but was waiting to be more prepared but then I supposed that with this poor level of translators it wasn't much difficult to get in.
I'm really frustated not by my results but by how netflix is conducting their subtitle department. I'm on the verge of cancelling my subscription and using unofficial subtitles with pirated videos which have better quality work than they have. I haven't done it yet because overall I can watch videos without subtitles (only get confused with strong accents). I will contact them about it, though.

I've been translating video for dubbing since 1987, and doing the entire subtitling job since 2004. My specialty is corporate video , i.e.
a) most of my work has been for companies demanding high quality - their corporate image will be at stake; and
b) video production is NOT part of their core business - my output will be the final job.

Of course, dubbing relies on the quality of the studio cast and crew, but they can't make a silk purse with a sow's ear, so the translation and its metrics must be good. However in subtitling I deliver the final video or DVD.

Apart from corporate video, yes, I did some significant work in feature films and a couple of TV series too.

This is not bragging! ... but merely the realization that I wouldn't have lasted so long in this industry if my work were not good enough. Yet I failed the Netflix/Hermes test, my score being somewhere in the mid-70s. I read about several skilled and experienced subtitling colleagues who also failed the Netflix/Hermes test, as well as a number of newcomers/amateurs who just dropped in to give it a try, and passed!

So I'd represent Error Type I, while Lucas presents evidence of representing Error Type II.
Errors galore!

The outcome is shown on Lucas' description of what he actually sees on Netflix. If its management sticks to their policies and standards upheld so far, Netflix will be actually promoting Kodi and repos, as well as the free illegal subtitles on the web instead of its own lifeblood - subscriptions; a shot in the foot of the entire movie/TV industry, and Netflix itself as well. If subtitling is expected to be bad anyway, the free option turns out to be obviously a 'better' choice in terms of cost/benefit.

Zasshu
Zasshu
Russian Federation
Japanese to Russian
+ ...
5th part Sep 23, 2017

Hey there.
Having looked through almost a half of comments in this thread, I made a conclusion that there were few people who actually passed the test, I mean not only those multiple choice 4 parts, but the 5th, actual translation part, as well. Am I right?

[Edited at 2017-09-23 16:45 GMT]

Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Olívia Pithan Burzlaff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It is a percentile Sep 23, 2017

Zasshu wrote:

Hey there.
Having looked through almost a half of comments in this thread, I made a conclusion that there were few people who actually passed the test, I mean not only those multiple choice 4 parts, but the 5th, actual translation part, as well. Am I right?

[Edited at 2017-09-23 16:45 GMT]

Hi Zasshu, the number of people who passed the test represent a percentile of candidates on each language, thus the variation in the threshold, but Netflix has not released if it amounts to 5, 10, 15% or something els. I assume everyone who takes the test after the first automated results were released will be automatically included in the percentile or not and it will probably not affect the language threshold anymore.

As for the 5th part, no one received their results yet, and Netflix will probably only evaluate those who have met the threshold. The Hermes system has not yet been fully implemented and, by personal experience, I can say no work has been made available yet as a direct result from the Hermes test, but many PMs have asked for my Hermes number already.

My suggestion to all of those who expect to work on this industry: contact all the Netflix Preferred Vendors (there is an open list on their website -- just google it!) on a steady basis, send out CVs, cover letters, etc, to all of them, with your Hermes Number on the info, even if you are below the threshold.
The company is investing 7bn dollars on original content next year and is starting to face some competition, thus being optimistic, chances are that part of this investment will trickle down to most of us.

[Edited at 2017-09-24 18:23 GMT]

Zasshu
Zasshu
Russian Federation
Japanese to Russian
+ ...
Great advice Sep 25, 2017

Vicente, thank you for the information.
I thought at least someone got through this 5th part barrier, so it is really discouraging.
But your advice about Netflix vendors seems very helpful (didn't even occured to me), thank you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »