Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Windows Vista, Trados 2007 and Office 2007
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 09:46
English to Portuguese
Apr 8, 2007

Problems experienced so far with Trados 2007 and Office 2007 under Vista Ultimate 64 bits:

-Sinergy crashes before opening;
-TagEditor spellchecking only works if Workbench and TagEditor are started with the option "Run as administrator" (right-click on the respective icon);
-Workbench with very slow operation in Word 2007.

Trados 2007 and Office 2007 have been installed "clean", with no previous installations of earlier versions. Otherwise, everything else
... See more
Problems experienced so far with Trados 2007 and Office 2007 under Vista Ultimate 64 bits:

-Sinergy crashes before opening;
-TagEditor spellchecking only works if Workbench and TagEditor are started with the option "Run as administrator" (right-click on the respective icon);
-Workbench with very slow operation in Word 2007.

Trados 2007 and Office 2007 have been installed "clean", with no previous installations of earlier versions. Otherwise, everything else seems to be OK (MTerm, Tag is working fast, etc.). An urgent patch seems to be in order...
Collapse

Miguel Jimenez
Miguel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
No compartible Apr 8, 2007

Dear Edric

I hear much time, that Trados 2007 doesn´t work with Office 2007 & Vista. You have to remember that Vista is too new and with much problems and many programs are not ready for Vista.
You should try better with Windows XP and Windows 2003.

Best regards

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Compatible Apr 8, 2007

Miguel Jimenez wrote:

I hear much time, that Trados 2007 doesn´t work with Office 2007 & Vista.

Trados 2006 doesn't, but Trados 2007 does (or should).

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Trados 2006 also compatible with Vista Apr 8, 2007

Hi,
Trados 2006 is also compatible with Vista, at least I could install it and open TWB without problems. the only thing is that it is not compatible with Office 2007.
Good night everybody,
Inga

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
for a while I think I shall stick to ms windows xp sp2 Apr 9, 2007

Hi!

I shall be using sdl trados, which is the nearest version to sdl 2007 and office 2003 package. I shall alternatively also try xp sp2 + trados 2007 and + office 2003. This combination vista 32 bit ofr 64 bit + sdl trados 2007 + office 2007 is too slow and when there is some problem, I am confronted immeditely with questions pertaining to the operating system,, office package and sdl trados 2007, and that leads to time loss and much posting in forums without finding much help, be
... See more
Hi!

I shall be using sdl trados, which is the nearest version to sdl 2007 and office 2003 package. I shall alternatively also try xp sp2 + trados 2007 and + office 2003. This combination vista 32 bit ofr 64 bit + sdl trados 2007 + office 2007 is too slow and when there is some problem, I am confronted immeditely with questions pertaining to the operating system,, office package and sdl trados 2007, and that leads to time loss and much posting in forums without finding much help, because most of us still new to this environment. Microsoft products, as we all know come with improved plug-ins and additional service packs etc., till they are really functional. This is too much software change at one shot. This would also affect my profession somewhat, due to clients demanding the above working tools. Brandis
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Sinergy crashes before opening" Apr 9, 2007

ROTFLMAO...

In my collection of screwups, this means an entirely new dimension / species: the program that crashes before?! you start it....

Or is it just before the final curtain rises and falls again?...

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
It does happen... <:^) Apr 9, 2007

Yes, crashing before opening the main window: the program is started (the processing of its code) by clicking on its icon, but at some early point during the code processing, the startup screen does not open and the operational system shows an error message. The processing step where the main form (which is presented on a window) is shown is never reached.

I thank you all for the comments and advice, and I started this thread as a place to put comments on the specific combination o
... See more
Yes, crashing before opening the main window: the program is started (the processing of its code) by clicking on its icon, but at some early point during the code processing, the startup screen does not open and the operational system shows an error message. The processing step where the main form (which is presented on a window) is shown is never reached.

I thank you all for the comments and advice, and I started this thread as a place to put comments on the specific combination of Vista, Trados 2007 and Office 2007. I am not having a problem (old XP and Trados2006/ Office 2003 are running fine on MS VirtualPC 2007 on Vista), Trados 2007 is...
Collapse

Iván Madrigal (X)
Iván Madrigal (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
I agree, "a know evil is better than..." Apr 9, 2007

My reccomendation: give it at least another year or so until Trados releases patches for Office 2007 and Office 2007 itself has been thoroughly tested in the general user market, I wouldn't bother fiddling with macros to make it work in a flaky way, I've heard of people that managed to make Trados 2007 and Word 2007 work together after modifying and adding macros to Word, but I wouldn't rely on it professionally.
Stick with XP SP2, Office 2003 and SDL Trados 2006, works sweet (nearly, apa
... See more
My reccomendation: give it at least another year or so until Trados releases patches for Office 2007 and Office 2007 itself has been thoroughly tested in the general user market, I wouldn't bother fiddling with macros to make it work in a flaky way, I've heard of people that managed to make Trados 2007 and Word 2007 work together after modifying and adding macros to Word, but I wouldn't rely on it professionally.
Stick with XP SP2, Office 2003 and SDL Trados 2006, works sweet (nearly, apart from tables and background themes) and it would be very rare that any client would demand for any file to be delivered in a dirty version of Trados 2007 on Word 2007 in such early stage, it would not make any sense either.
Then again, if you manage to make it work fine let us know, please!
Collapse

Alexandros Mouratidis
Alexandros Mouratidis  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:46
English to Greek
+ ...
Same problems here as well Apr 10, 2007

I also had all the problems mentioned above with the Vista, Office 2007 and Trados 2007 combination. Although Trados 2007 will work with Word 2003 just fine, it is either too slow (10 secs to set/close/open/get, with the Alt + [+] not working at all), or will simply not work (and give a VB Automation Error).

Edit: It seems they have r
... See more
I also had all the problems mentioned above with the Vista, Office 2007 and Trados 2007 combination. Although Trados 2007 will work with Word 2003 just fine, it is either too slow (10 secs to set/close/open/get, with the Alt + [+] not working at all), or will simply not work (and give a VB Automation Error).

Edit: It seems they have removed Office 2007 from their FAQs (http://new.translationzone.com/en/support/faqs.asp#Up12). Now it mentions support only up to Office 2003.

On their support pages (http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2124&p_created=1174925684&p_sid=rgy8wPyi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0xMTUwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1), they still have it listed though. They are probably having more problems that they originally anticipated and pushed back Office 2007 support to a later version/update?

[Edited at 2007-04-11 08:44]
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Sinergy works perfectly in Vista 32-bit Apr 19, 2007

I have installed Trados 2007 in Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and Sinergy works in it.

Unfortunately the performance in Word is still too slow.

[Edited at 2007-04-20 01:09]

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Sinergy is not supported in Vista 64-bit Apr 20, 2007

I have just received a response from Trados:

"Response (Bernhard Hoell) 04/20/2007 10:13 AM
Hello,

64Bit Vista is not supported at the moment.

Regards

Bernhard Hoell "

Claudia Krysztofiak
Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
... at the moment Aug 13, 2008

This is a good joke.

The SDL Knowledge Base still says that Trados does not work with 64Bit Windows. So this seems to be a rather long moment.

Carmenlh
Carmenlh
Local time: 08:46
English to French
Nothing has changed Sep 12, 2008

It's still the same today (months later). I wasn't aware of the problem and I just bought a new computer with a 64 bit OS...

Julie Verbert
Julie Verbert  Identity Verified
France
English to French
same problem Oct 17, 2008

I also got my new computer with 64 bit Vista two days ago and I was so happy to install Trados for the first time (at last, my computer is fast enough to run everything at the same time!!).... til I got the same problem with Synergy not opening and preventing me from working with Trados at all!! It was successfully installed and activated, the icons even appear on my word document (is it just to tease me??), but there's no way I could make it work (I have Office 2003 btw). I also spent some time... See more
I also got my new computer with 64 bit Vista two days ago and I was so happy to install Trados for the first time (at last, my computer is fast enough to run everything at the same time!!).... til I got the same problem with Synergy not opening and preventing me from working with Trados at all!! It was successfully installed and activated, the icons even appear on my word document (is it just to tease me??), but there's no way I could make it work (I have Office 2003 btw). I also spent some time on forums these last two days to discover the nightware of finding programs compatible with 64 bit Vista, but any tips (however much appreciated!!) would not help... I truly hope SDL Trados is going to do something to make it work soon.. It's frustrating!! Someone on ProZ suggested a link to launch Synergy in another way, but the link did not work for me. Any other idea? Thanks to you all already!!Collapse

Metin_Ozer (X)
Metin_Ozer (X)  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados Freelance 7 works perfect with Vista 64-bit Nov 21, 2008

Hi, I just had to set up Vista Home Premium 64-Bit version because of a memory issue (32 bit systems, Vista or Xp, does not recognize over 3gb ram memory). Before installation I checked if someone had problems with 64-bit systems or not and I saw this post. However, I could manage to run it and it is working very fine. I don't know about other versions but I am using Trados Freelance 7 + Office 2003 without any problems. What I did was just to run "Setup" file as Administrator (As most of us alr... See more
Hi, I just had to set up Vista Home Premium 64-Bit version because of a memory issue (32 bit systems, Vista or Xp, does not recognize over 3gb ram memory). Before installation I checked if someone had problems with 64-bit systems or not and I saw this post. However, I could manage to run it and it is working very fine. I don't know about other versions but I am using Trados Freelance 7 + Office 2003 without any problems. What I did was just to run "Setup" file as Administrator (As most of us already know Vista needs this to run some programs). So it is not a problem to have a 64-bit Vista OS, you just need to run Setup as Administrator, at least for the Freelance version that does the trick.

On the other hand, If you dont have a problem like I had (I had to go for 64 bit to make OS recognize my newly purchased ram, otherwise it was stuck at 3gb limit of 32 bit OS) I dont reccommend anybody to use an 64-bit Vista or Xp. The reason is 64 bit processors do not make a difference in terms of text editing speed or anything related to translation. They are mostly preffered by graphic artists, animation producers etc. for their heavy graphic rendering works.

Regards,

Metin Özer
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Vista, Trados 2007 and Office 2007

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »