Is it possible to use SDL Trados through Wine?
Thread poster: Sulem
Sulem
Sulem
Norway
Local time: 17:28
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2017

Hi everyone!

I'm going to start translating and I really need SDL Trados, the problem is that I have a Mac (OS Yosemite, 10.10.5). Do you know if it is possible to work through Wine? I am having trouble trying to install SDL Trados through Wine but I don't know if it's because it's not possible, or because I'm not doing it right. What do you recommend me, Parallels or Wine?

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
VM Aug 4, 2017

Hello,

Trados does not work through Wine, you will need to use a Virtual Machine like Parallels, VMware, Virtualbox and the like.

There are some CAT tools that work on a Mac and provide Trados compatibility, so you can still do the core of the work on your native OS.

Sulem
Sulem
Norway
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply! Aug 5, 2017

Hi Jean,

Thank you a lot for your reply. I have been looking around but I could not find any specific information. I will try VirtualBox.

Have a nice weekend!

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
VirtualBox Aug 5, 2017

Hello Sulem,

You're welcome.

VirtualBox is a good choice, I use it myself (on GNU/Linux).

After installing Windows as a guest OS on VirtualBox, you will want to install Guest Additions and enable Shared folders.

This will allow you to share files and folders (directories) between host (your OS X) and guest (your VM).

Following the steps offered in the chosen answer should do the tri
... See more
Hello Sulem,

You're welcome.

VirtualBox is a good choice, I use it myself (on GNU/Linux).

After installing Windows as a guest OS on VirtualBox, you will want to install Guest Additions and enable Shared folders.

This will allow you to share files and folders (directories) between host (your OS X) and guest (your VM).

Following the steps offered in the chosen answer should do the trick: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27355688/shared-folder-between-macosx-and-windows-on-virtual-box

Have a nice weekend too!

Jean
Collapse

Sulem
Sulem
Norway
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 8, 2017

Thank you so much for your advice! I will do so

Have a nice day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to use SDL Trados through Wine?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »