Thread poster: Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 22:54
English to German
+ ...
May 27, 2017

Is there any possibility of avoiding capitalisation after "e.g." other than by disabling the "Capitalize first letter of sentences" altogether?
You can't enter "e.g." in the exception list, and the entry "g." in the exception list doesn't prevent this problem.
I'm currently translating a text with lots of "e.g.", and this problem crops up constantly. It's very annoying.
Could SDL perhaps change it so that the auto-capitalization ONLY applies to the first letter in the segment?
... See more
Is there any possibility of avoiding capitalisation after "e.g." other than by disabling the "Capitalize first letter of sentences" altogether?
You can't enter "e.g." in the exception list, and the entry "g." in the exception list doesn't prevent this problem.
I'm currently translating a text with lots of "e.g.", and this problem crops up constantly. It's very annoying.
Could SDL perhaps change it so that the auto-capitalization ONLY applies to the first letter in the segment? Or at least give us the option to set it like that?

Also, it would be nice if Studio didn't capitalize the first letter of a segment unless the source segment has a capital letter as well.

[Edited at 2017-05-27 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:54
German to Turkish
+ ...
Just a workaround until a real solution is provided May 27, 2017

You can keep e.g. as is or define it as non-translatable (or however it is called) to prevent it from being translated.

After completing the translation you can find&replace all e.g.'s.

Elif

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:54
French to English
+ ...
Yes - Autocorrect May 28, 2017

I solved this problem a long time ago, not because of the capitalization, but rather because typing the "e.g.," combo itself is a pain. I replaced it with "eg" using the Autocorrect function and this also takes care of capitalization.
HTH,
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capitalization after "e.g." in Studio 2017

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »